Michelin Defender LTX 285/60 R18 on 2021 HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've not found much real-world unpaid reviews, kind of taking a chance. The size I want is unfortunately or fortunately much heavier than the stock size, 10-ply sidewalls, heavier and probably more robust and stiff than the 4-ply in our stock size. Did he actually puncture the sidewalls, or find them not robust in some other way?
Yes, sidewall puncture…I think from a rock while off-roading. Let me see if i can find the thread.

EDIT: found it: Nokian Rotiiva AT - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/nokian-rotiiva-at.609346/#post-20658144

Nevermind, he punctured while going fast against sharp rocks.

Lol, big rocks at high speed. Even Aramid fibers have limits.

From the pics, he is running an older and P-metric version, 35-pound tires. The newer one in the size I want is an LT weighing 50-lb, should be much stronger sidewalls, although it is heavier and stiffer than I really want. I don't offroad for fun, but value the ability when needed. And surviving large potholes at highway speeds can make them well worth the harsh ride.

I can get the older P-metric in 275/65R18, plenty strong enough. But it is a full inch shorter.

OK…Defender owners…can you all give me update on your tires?? I am especially interested in the 285/60/18 XL version. Thanks.

Discount is having $110 off Michelin tires sale this weekend………seeing that and my plummeting fuel economy with my aging BFG KO has me thinking naughty things……

OK…Defender owners…can you all give me update on your tires?? I am especially interested in the 285/60/18 XL version. Thanks.

Discount is having $110 off Michelin tires sale this weekend………seeing that and my plummeting fuel economy with my aging BFG KO has me thinking naughty things……
Do it. Best tires I’ve owned.

I had Ridge Crapplers on for a few weeks and took them back for Defenders and will never make that mistake again.

I have about 300k miles on Defenders between my last 4Runner and this LC.

Do it. Best tires I’ve owned.

I had Ridge Crapplers on for a few weeks and took them back for Defenders and will never make that mistake again.

I have about 300k miles on Defenders between my last 4Runner and this LC.
What size did you get?

There is not a better road tire out there period! I worked at discount tire for 7 years while in high school and college, and that tire (LTX M/S then) consistently held the top spot! It feels, wears and balances better than everything I’ve seen. I’ve put them on every brand new truck I’ve owed. The only reason I haven’t swapped out the LC is because I’m still in limbo on going to a bigger (and unfortunately heavier) tire. If Michelin made a P-metric 285/65R18 it would have been done already.

A tire is only as good as your alignment and rotation schedule.

What size did you get?
285/65/18

6990AB53-856A-4DD0-A1D2-ED79448E56EF.jpeg

Go for it. Awesome tires. I have about 6k on mine so far. Quiet on the highway, excellent grip in the rain, and handled remarkably well on moderate off road trails.

I’m averaging about 14.8 mpg on my stock ‘21 LC with these tires in a mix of city and highway driving.

Go for it. Awesome tires. I have about 6k on mine so far. Quiet on the highway, excellent grip in the rain, and handled remarkably well on moderate off road trails.

I’m averaging about 14.8 mpg on my stock ‘21 LC with these tires in a mix of city and highway driving.
When off-roading in mod trails, did you air down your Defender?

Anyone else have any update on their ownership experience?

Debating b/w this tire and LTX Trail in 265/70/18.

e LC is because I’m still in limbo on going to a bigger (a

Not a better tire on the market for all around use. I live in Colorado and have had no problems with these tires on city roads and snowy highways when headed to the slopes. I have had these on a 4Runner, Sequoia, and LC200. Smooth & quiet ride, long lasting tread, and they live beyond the warranty (50k). Wish I could find a heavier tread K02 type tire with this same attributes....will stay with these until that happens.

According to Discount Tire's website, there is a sixteen pound difference per Defender tire between 285/60 and 285/65. I get to drive a friend's matching HE with the at2s in the 285/65, and the weight is obvious in ride/accel/decel. Keep telling myself to get over it...

Lol, big rocks at high speed. Even Aramid fibers have limits.

From the pics, he is running an older and P-metric version, 35-pound tires. The newer one in the size I want is an LT weighing 50-lb, should be much stronger sidewalls, although it is heavier and stiffer than I really want. I don't offroad for fun, but value the ability when needed. And surviving large potholes at highway speeds can make them well worth the harsh ride.

I can get the older P-metric in 275/65R18, plenty strong enough. But it is a full inch shorter.
@scottm I am running the 275/60R20 LT and I really like them. I am having some balancing issues but I suspect Discount hasn't recalibrated their machines. I am going to take back one more time.

@scottm I am running the 275/60R20 LT and I really like them. I am having some balancing issues but I suspect Discount hasn't recalibrated their machines. I am going to take back one more time.
I doubt that. DT machines are spot on when it comes to balancing. They use it a million times a day. More like your tires may be defective.

According to Discount Tire's website, there is a sixteen pound difference per Defender tire between 285/60 and 285/65. I get to drive a friend's matching HE with the at2s in the 285/65, and the weight is obvious in ride/accel/decel. Keep telling myself to get over it...
Yeah, for me, my stock size KO2 is good…but fuel economy has been the pits as it ages. That is why i am debating getting a lighter tire for that…either Defender in stock size (39 lbs) vs. LTX Trail in 265/70/18 (37 lbs).

Every drive around the bottom of lake Michigan to o'hare, I pass cars with flat tires. And the apocalypse has barely begun!

I'm finding different tire pressures give me very different rides and benefits I could not get with the stock tires.

Time for me to replace my 285/70r18 Ridge Grapplers. They are not the most comfortable tire to say the least and just sucks my fuel dry. I have a 2” Bp-51 lift w/1.25” spacer, so I am looking at a 275/70 or 285/65(which size will look the best). I was about to install a Revo3 275/70 but it looked much narrower than expecting. The Defender tire looks like my best option for most of my driving. The truck never sees snow, so not sure if I really need a M/S tire. How does the Defender LTX handle broken pavement and potholes? The ridges grappler eats them up but you feel it.

Also curious about the Toyo open country a/t3 as they even look less aggressive then my Ridge grapplers and might be quieter and smoother riding in the 275/70r18

Last edited:
Look at Nokian Outpost AT also. I went from Ridge Grapplers and they are so quite and comfortable.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve never had Nokian tires before. They seem like a great snow tire, which is not a concern where I live. Hopefully they can handle extended driving in high summer heat at 85mph

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom