Metri-Pack - Best Budget Crimper and Source for Terminals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I'm prepping to overhaul my 7 year electrical accessory config and am moving to Metri-Pack fittings. I'm looking for the best economical crimped, preferably single step for both terminal and insulator crimps, as well as the best (cheapest, service level, stock, cheap shipping) outlet to buy all the terminals and fittings. I've found them at Mouser, Terminal Supply, Waytek, etc. But looking for someone with experiences with larger projects.

Here's a great reference and history of Packard/Delphi fittings: Understanding GM’s Most Common Plug Options

Sub'd.

Timely post as I'm looking to do the same. Additionally, I have been looking for a Metri-Pack bulkhead style connector to use for through-panel (roof, floor, firewall) connections and have not had much luck. Any leads are appreciated.

Sub'd.

Timely post as I'm looking to do the same. Additionally, I have been looking for a Metri-Pack bulkhead style connector to use for through-panel (roof, floor, firewall) connections and have not had much luck. Any leads are appreciated.

You should be looking at deutsche bulkhead connectors for roof and firewall

Agreed, the Deutsch connectors and a great buy for the bang. I use them on external LED connection points and thoroughly impressed with their value and effectiveness.

X2 on Deutch for penetration. I was on the Deutch/Metri-Pack fence for awhile then went Blue Sea deck fittings and 7 lead trailer wire for penetration.

I use Metri-pack for all of my stuff. Millions of vehicles use it.
Who is the best supplier and can you recommend a solid, economical, crimper?

Metri-pack is good stuff, so is Deutsch - decide based on how much current you need to carry and wire gauge (including insulation diameter). I use metripack (weather pack actually) for all my vehicle stuff, but Deutsch for bulkhead (through the firewall).

Mouser has decent pricing on the weather/metri-pack stuff (I buy in bags - lifetime supply). They also have some Deutsch stuff. Half the battle is understanding what goes with what - in terms of gaskets, clips etc.

Edit: Also Waytek Wire if you're after bulk - I have a lifetime supply from them too :)

For the weather/metri I just use a 'generic' from Amazon crimper, works just fine. Does the gasket seal and also crimps the male/female ends.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:
Last edited:
this is a good enough deal: Amazon product ASIN B01IXX5ICA
metri-packs are fine, but have limited ins/outs. which is fine if you're just connecting and forgetting, but not for items you plan on servicing a bunch.

Metripac/weatherpack is junk. Deutsch all the way. They’re easier to work with, more robust/reliable, more compact, more resistant to dust and water. And they don’t break if you look at it wrong.

My barrel crimper is made by tool aid. It works as well as the adjustable Caterpillar crimpers but obviously the tool aid ones have different sizes for each range of pin. They’re way cheaper though.

Last edited:
Thats actually a decent deal. The cat deutsch kits are like 1000$ but that does include the adjustable crimpers.

yes, I can only assume they aren't genuine, but they work great for internal projects/shop/fun rigs

I went with the Deutsch DT connectors mostly because of the mil-spec style contact. I really don't like the stamped contacts. I also like the rear grommet sealing of the wires. I bought a minimum order to cover what I was working on plus some extras. I can always add to it as time goes on. The kits are nice but I think you'll end up with a lot of pieces you may never use.

DeutschConnectors1.jpg

I use Metri-pack for all of my stuff. Millions of vehicles use it.

I like metri-pac connectors, but I like Deutsch connectors better for bulkhead connectors that need to be waterproof

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom