Meet the Blue Bumper - our family '74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After learning tons of things from you guys just lurking, I decided it was time to introduce myself, or rather, our Landcruiser.

My father bought it over 25 years ago and three generations have enjoyed it in high altitude, central Colorado. It was our youngest generation that named it Blue Bumper - because of the ride on trails. , the suspension and shocks are totally original - so you get the idea about the ride ;)

Picture 028.jpg

Blue Bumper has 102,000 miles and other than headers, appears all original. The second owner's son rolled it and ruined the hardtop, so we run it topless or with a softtop. For the last 25+ years it's only been run during summers, and then garaged each winter.

There is some rust (look closely at the rear) but I think it's fairly minor and looks pretty good for it's age.

Picture 215.jpg

I started phase one of a upgraded preservation plan last weekend (replacing fluids, filters, hoses, etc.) and over time I will be asking MUD members for help and advice. Thank you in advance because as you all know, the more you inspect your Cruiser, the more things you find to fix or improve. I'm not going to use the R word, but there are lots of improvements I'm contemplating - with a strong bias to stay original.

I have decent automotive experience, and the FSMs, but not much experience with this uniquely wonderful machine. Having been reading MUD posts for almost two years, off and on, I'm afraid I have been infected by the bug. :doh:

My next post will be about the many fluid leaks I'm discovering :confused:
Picture 028.jpg
Picture 215.jpg

So amazing to see a stock cruiser just doing what they do best. Aside from fluids, hoses, etc, don't change anything. Nice truck!

Hi all,

Nice FJ40! My '74 FJ40 look a bit like that ~15 years ago! ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

Regards,

Alan

Nice looking cruiser. My 68 was that color when I bought back in the seventies. Laying it on it's side and then replacing the top with one of another ended with a repaint in totally different color. Besides the headers your rear jump seat are earlier than 74 and your front turn signals are newer than 74.

Nice looking cruiser. My 68 was that color when I bought back in the seventies. Laying it on it's side and then replacing the top with one of another ended with a repaint in totally different color. Besides the headers your rear jump seat are earlier than 74 and your front turn signals are newer than 74.

The observation about the jump seats and front signals is exactly the kind of expertise I appreciate - thanks! No doubt there are some other non original changes as I look more closely - and learn.

Good looking cruiser. Stock cruisers are getting harder and harder to find.

I rarely see FJ40s around Buena Vista - yours looks right at home there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom