Meet LeToya, a 2009 LX570 IoT Family Tourer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm on AD, I hit 20 years this summer and I'll be retiring from here next summer and heading back stateside. We love Wiesbaden!

Congrats on hitting that 20, hooah! đź’Ş

Ah! For the dogs!
That makes complete sense to me.
And I very much respect your pursuit. You are creating a “dog mode”for the LC.

Tell me, will and your wife get texts or alarms if something goes wrong with the AC? I sometimes borrow my wife’s Tesla when I run errands around Houston and want my boy with me. Since Tesla’s have that “dog mode. “
It’s great, but the one thing I feel it lacks is a good warning system for if something goes wrong. At least I don’t think it will send me a text or email or vibrate my watch if the temp rises too high.
I always plan on checking the temp via the Tesla app when I’m inside a store for too long. But I forget to check often. So an alarm would be a great upgrade.

And again… you have found the perfect use for all that tech! Keeping dogs safe and happy!
Thanks. I hadn't thought about it in that way, but I guess I am creating a "dog mode" so to speak.

Yes, that is the plan in regards to alerts. I'm not quite there yet with setting up my Aqara zigbee network, but in theory I would use the Aqara hub to connect to a temperature sensor, and if the sensor reads above 80 degrees, then the hub will send an alert to my phone. The hub has internet access via the wifi from my old phone that I leave in the rig permanently. Hopefully I can get it all to work.

Thanks for your feedback!

That makes a ton of sense. Thanks for sharing. Family looks like they're having a great time.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm paying close attention to your alternator load handling thread (among others). If I have any feedback I'll post in there.

I saw an ad for an eco flow air con battery all in one .

I saw an ad for an eco flow air con battery all in one .
Yeah, so I looked at the wave 2 when I was deciding how to do this, and it was too big for where I wanted to put it. I needed it to integrate with my camping box so that I could leave it where it is in the car all the time and put a bed platform overtop. Plus, it has a "max" cooling power of 600w (4000 BTU's) but a rated cooling power DC of only 410w and the unit I have is rated at 432w, so the Autoclima that I went with is actually more powerful, smaller, and much cheaper when you factor in the cost of adding the extra batteries. Having said that, it is an all in one unit. If anyone was willing to try one, I'd be very curious to see how it actually performed.

I've spent the last few days pulling wire across my car, rewiring my ARB linx, accessories, and building a switch panel for my glove box. There are things that I dislike more than wiring... I just can't remember what they are at the moment.

20230528_100759.jpg
20230528_131009.jpg
20230528_131317.jpg
20230605_164733.jpg
20230605_165509.jpg

I think wiring is an amazing skill. One that, try as I might, I can’t develop.

Many years ago I had a guy in my house to help set up my media closet. He did an incredible and immaculate job.

Since then I have changed so many components and rewired so much that it’s all a horrible rat’s-nest. I keep trying to neaten it up but all I seem to do is shift the wire mess around. I have no idea how he made it all look so neat.

So more power to you if you are able to figure out that Gordian Knot. Please share anything you figure out.

And keep us updated with your progress.

I think wiring is an amazing skill. One that, try as I might, I can’t develop.

Many years ago I had a guy in my house to help set up my media closet. He did an incredible and immaculate job.

Since then I have changed so many components and rewired so much that it’s all a horrible rat’s-nest. I keep trying to neaten it up but all I seem to do is shift the wire mess around. I have no idea how he made it all look so neat.

So more power to you if you are able to figure out that Gordian Knot. Please share anything you figure out.

And keep us updated with your progress.
Yes, my experience with it has been frustrating and often dictated by constraints that you can't control when integrating these products into our cars and getting them all to work together. I'm in a "tactical pause" so to speak with my wiring efforts. I generally have things cleaned up and organized, but to really get it where I want it, I'll need to cut and splice to shorten a lot of wires and I just don't have the time or the patience at the moment to do that. Thankfully Lexus gave us those convenient engine bay covers to make it look good regardless of what I do under there!

20230606_200554.jpg
20230606_200615.jpg
20230606_200622.jpg
20230606_200752.jpg

Last edited:
Took the Mrs.'s out for a little overland picnic this weekend. We leave for our trip to Greece and the Balkans this coming Saturday and we wouldn't try out our new induction cooktop and a few other things to make sure they worked before we had to rely on them. WOW! The induction cooktop was amazing, pulled the full 1800w's it is rated at on it's highest setting, but it had a full pot of water up to boil in like 3 minutes (maybe it wasn't that fast, but it was fast!). As long as I can manage, definitely never going back to gas cookers. It was faster than the stove in our house. Anyway, we went to a little hidden spot in the hills of Wiesbaden that overlooks the town for a beautiful sunset dinner.
20230610_200207.jpg
20230610_201856.jpg
20230610_201914.jpg
20230610_211053.jpg
20230610_213506.jpg

Amazing i like all the unique stuff...but i dont see any labeling on your wires? I am in the process of cleaning up all my wires and redoing everything i did 10+ years ago due to poor labeling and routing....i forgot what wires did what (not a daily)

For example, I had devices that required 7 wires so id have a 5 wire core on hand and then run seperate 2 core wire to power one device...i kept doing this for multiple devices/equipment and when i came back to work on the car years later...i had no clue whats what so i had to remove almost every single panel to figure things out....so just make sure you got everything labeled , otherwise how the hell do you figure things out ? Amazing setup, family and adventures + thanks for sharing

Took the Mrs.'s out for a little overland picnic this weekend. We leave for our trip to Greece and the Balkans this coming Saturday and we wouldn't try out our new induction cooktop and a few other things to make sure they worked before we had to rely on them. WOW! The induction cooktop was amazing, pulled the full 1800w's it is rated at on it's highest setting, but it had a full pot of water up to boil in like 3 minutes (maybe it wasn't that fast, but it was fast!). As long as I can manage, definitely never going back to gas cookers. It was faster than the stove in our house. Anyway, we went to a little hidden spot in the hills of Wiesbaden that overlooks the town for a beautiful sunset dinner.

Induction, noice! Just thinking I've had many moments camping with crazy winds and cold that gas stoves were struggling. Induction wouldn't be as vulnerable to these issues.

Amazing i like all the unique stuff...but i dont see any labeling on your wires? I am in the process of cleaning up all my wires and redoing everything i did 10+ years ago due to poor labeling and routing....i forgot what wires did what (not a daily)

For example, I had devices that required 7 wires so id have a 5 wire core on hand and then run seperate 2 core wire to power one device...i kept doing this for multiple devices/equipment and when i came back to work on the car years later...i had no clue whats what so i had to remove almost every single panel to figure things out....so just make sure you got everything labeled , otherwise how the hell do you figure things out ? Amazing setup, family and adventures + thanks for sharing
You are completely right about this. I keep telling myself that it's a problem for another day, but it's going to catch up with me eventually. I'm just trying to get everything done and wired in before we leave on our trip, but the electrical... really just making cables, has taken so much time. Maybe I'll buy a small label maker before we leave and start labeling things in our free time on the road. Thanks for the suggestion.

Induction, noice! Just thinking I've had many moments camping with crazy winds and cold that gas stoves were struggling. Induction wouldn't be as vulnerable to these issues.
Brother, this thing is great. I got everything set-up for my wife so that she could make some orzo and then I walked around for a couple of minutes taking photos. By the time I got back the water was boiling already.

So after about a year of trying to figure it out, I got my flexible solar panels mounted to my RTT. Trying to mount solar panels to any of the James Baroud RTT's is difficult. They have molded fiberglass shells, and there isn't a single surface that isn't curved or has some kind of ridge. I struggled for a while with what type of solar panel to use and how to mount it, and then saw a hot tip from Jafffa Adventures on YouTube and the flexible solar panels he used are glued to a polycarbonate sheet which he then double sided taped to his roof. With that in mind, I decided to try and make a polycarbonate sheet to fit the cargo area of my RTT, double side tape my solar panels to that, and then just strap the whole thing down using the cargo hooks that were already present on the RTT. Seems to have turned out great so far. I am using two Ective 60w panels, although they were built at different times and my older panel is a little larger than the new one. I have them wired to my Renogy 50A DCDC and the highest I have seen so far is 80 watts betwen the two of them which isn't bad. My hood mounted solar panel is rated at 85 watts but I only seem to get about 45 out of it. Still, 125 watts out of a rated 205 isn't terrible. All-in between the two of them it is enough to run both my freezer, cooler, inverter on, and all stand-by loads which is what I was hoping for.

20230612_172332.jpg
20230612_192354.jpg
20230612_203157.jpg

So I finished the install for my Renogy 50A DCDC charger. I have my REDARC battery isolator hooked up on the starter battery line to the DCDC charger which is working out great so far. My rooftop solar panels are connected to my DCDC and feed the house batteries all the time, but I can select when I have the starter battery current feeding the DCDC charging the house batteries. This will allow me to use it only when I need it and save stress on the alternator by not running it at start-up.
20230615_121504.jpg
20230615_125652.jpg
Screenshot_20230615-140844_AirMirror.jpg

I also finished the install on my WeBoost kit, but... then I learned that Europe and the US use different GSM frequencies and so the WeBoost kit won't really work because it isn't programed to boost the cell frequencies used here in Europe. Bummer. I'm not sure if there is a work around or not, likely not, but it's on there so... I'll have it for when I eventually move back to the states. I ended up mounting the antenna to the inside track of my awning as I had no room anywhere else to mount it. I can still fold it down and out of the way if there is a clearance issue, but I imagine I'll just leave it up most of the time.

20230615_130140.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom