Builds matzell's stretched FJ40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I am still getting the garage wrapped up. I have picked up a few 80's and have been DD one of them. With the project stalled for too many years do I dare switch it over to a 80 frame and suspension????????? I have a really nice parts rig with a clean frame and suspension under it.

I know Lance at IPOR did this and it came out great. I could shorten the frame 12" somewhere and drop my body on it? I think it would ride and drive better and still have the 40ish look.

For those that have done this, what are your thoughts? I know the axles are about 8" wider so it may look a little goofy? But then you look at ProjectX.

Project x and the fzj40 look real damn good. At one point IPOR was selling the rear fender flares that Lance designed for the fzj40, then widening the front fenders would be easy.

I say do it.

The 80 chassis is obviously better in a lot of ways. Personally the only thing I dislike about it is the axle width. I had widened my front fenders 3 inches which I thought was the minimum I could do to keep a stockish appearance. You would have to add flares to the rear as well.

removing 12 inches from an 80 frame in the middle seems like it might be challenging. Just my opinions.

I would say go for it.

Last edited:
I am still looking at options for the direction to finish this build. Anyone following along knows the struggles I have had. I am really digging the 80 chassis idea, I have crawled all over Lances FZJ40 and really like it. With this being said. Does anyone here following this thread have any interest in this build? Rolling chassis with or without tub with or without drivetrain? It could go many ways but will not be parted out. It may still go back together. I am looking at options.

pm me if interested.

Rob

This project is still around, no real updates. Just ideas floating around and doing some more research. I have decided to sell off my red 76, my triple locked 93 FZJ80, and two other 80 parts trucks and I just sold some 40" stickies. This will free up a bunch of cash and allow me to go in any direction I want on this build with an open checkbook! I know this does not add pics to this thread but at least gives updates???? With all my life changes in the past year I really have not had the passion to work on this. I want to wait till that passion comes back, I always feel I will end up with a better project. If anyone followed along on Lynchburg Lemonade they will see how great that turned out and I can tell you it is a blast to wheel. So many people have told me that they would love something like that and that they wish they had gone in that direction. Now I still have my race car 4573 so I can still do all the hard core stuff, I just need to get it back out on the trails and in competition.

Rob

Still here! haha! I have caught up on a lot of things around here and sold off some vehicles. I am gearing up to get started on this the first of the year. I hope it goes quick. Thanks for being patient. I will get this done and hope it turns out great.

Current state of rest...

6CF00DD3-9AFA-4113-8B76-9148D813A019.jpeg

Lets do a poll! Suspsension choices.

1. Keep the 4" leaf springs that are on it and rock on with 40 series axles

2. Swap front over to the 80 series suspension set up- axle tbd 60 series, 80 series, go back to narrowed D60 ( The FJCO is doing this on their builds now)

3. 3 link front and 4 link rear with Johnny joints and panhards front and rear - axle tbd see above

4. Other?

I have sold my red 76 and ready to get started on this mid March. I have all these axles, so that is not an issue. I am pretty set on keeping the tbi 350/H55f/split case with parking brake.

lets hear some ideas!

I vote for option 3 with D60 axles front and rear. I don’t have a reason other than just wanting to see something different. On coilovers too.

To give a more reasonable answer I need to know what you plan to use it for.

I vote for option 3 with D60 axles front and rear. I don’t have a reason other than just wanting to see something different. On coilovers too.

To give a more reasonable answer I need to know what you plan to use it for.
Mall Crawling! It would be a 60/14 combo that I already have, Yukon Zip locker front and Detroit rear w 4:56 gears just because I have them!

The 14/60 combo might be overkill for a mall crawler but a mall crawler can’t be overdone, so maybe not.

For daily cruising I think a reasonable compromise would be 80 series front suspension with leafs in the rear. Pick which ever axles give you the aesthetic width you want. Although 60 width in the front with 80 suspension IMO is the minimum you might want to give you space for fitting everything.

The 14/60 combo might be overkill for a mall crawler but a mall crawler can’t be overdone, so maybe not.
Nothing says Baller like 8 lugs! lol!

Mall Crawling! It would be a 60/14 combo that I already have, Yukon Zip locker front and Detroit rear w 4:56 gears just because I have them!
If you go this route can I snag those 80 series from axle brackets from you? I have a 60 front, 80 rear and front radius arms just need the brackets and then I’ll head down that road with my 40.

60/14b combo. They have killer brakes, meaning more safety for mall crawling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom