Builds matzell's stretched FJ40 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 77 is almost back together, As soon as this gets done I can get back on the stretched 74...

77 40 resto 6.jpg

77 40 resto 7.jpg

The 77 FJ40 that I have been working on is done and should be picked up tonight to go to it's new home, 3 blocks away! I built this one up for a neighbor. (the one with the winch is my 76 I got last year) I have to prep the race car for a race in a few weeks and then back to this project, only 13 months later...

I have had a lot of time to think about this project and which direction to go. I still have a 6.0 LS engine, 4L80 and Np241 t-case and another split case, plus a few sets of tons. They will go into another project that my wife gave me the green light on. I plan to build a ext cab FJ45 pickup on a FJ60 frame. I have wanted to build one for over 10 years. I am not sure on axles but it will get the 6.0/4L80 combo

This build looks to Keep the TBI 350 (I rebuilt it about 500 miles ago), NV4500 with lower 6.xx first, split case and 40 axles with a Auburn pro series limited slip rear, open front (for now). Fine spline 4:10 gears, 33" BFG's, Vintage air and hard top. I want to be able to drive this anywhere, carry some gear/coolers/dog whatever. It should be fun, peppy and reliable. It is not a troopy and not quite a 40 anymore. I will be motivated to build this back up now that I have decided on the direction. I have 99% of the parts so it just has to go together after paint. I hope to have this done within the year and start on the next build, and get a few races in too :)

77 40 resto 8.jpg

77 40 resto 9.jpg

77 40 resto 10.jpg

77 40 resto 11.jpg

matzells garage.jpg

This has pushed back to July. I have bought 3 more FJ40's and am also putting together a ext cab FJ45 "type" truck. It is in the early stages but I am trying to get things together and once race season is over I can concentrate on this project more.

fj45 project 1.jpg

fj45 project 5.jpg

fj45 project 6.jpg

fj45 project 8.jpg

camo 77 fj40 1.jpg

I am getting my thoughts together on this still, it has not moved in the past 1.5 years. I have put together a 82 40 and now a 77 FJ40 small tire wheeler,

I wanted something to wheel that would make things exciting again for most trail rides, the race car is too much most of the time.

Some parts are coming off the stretched project and other parts going back on. I am not going to say it will not change again but looking to make this a driver that "could be" capable if needed. The drivetrain is looking to stay the same, TBI 350, NV4500, split case with parking brake, 78 FJ40 axles with fine spline diffs, LSD in rear, open front. same 33" BFG's and wheels. I look at it everytime I am out in the shop. I am really digging the stance with the 4" lift and the 33's. And it will still be a hard top. I need to decide which A/C system to install.

I keep getting distracted with my other 40's but I really do want to get back on this one. It is in a climate controlled garage so it is not rusting away somewhere. Problem is when this is finished I will have 4 running driving 40's! I am not sure that it would be fair to keep them all but this one is not going anywhere!

You can never have to many running 40's :) So you went away from the 40's or 37" tires for the stretched build ?

For now...I still have all the axles and t-case to swap it around. That is why I have not touched it, everyday is different!

For now...I still have all the axles and t-case to swap it around. That is why I have not touched it, everyday is different!

I know the feeling and that is exactly why I set a deadline for the BJZ43 build as if I didn't I would keep changing my damn mind and have another unfinished project lol

I know the feeling and that is exactly why I set a deadline for the BJZ43 build as if I didn't I would keep changing my damn mind and have another unfinished project lol

"I would keep changing my damn mind"

This struggle is real!

I do not feel too bad, I am still building 40's just not that one. I looked at it tonight for about 3 hours while I cleaned parts for my latest project....I really do hope to get back on it and drive it next summer. My painter is ready I just need a boost!

This project is still sitting and holding parts in place. I am going to pull the Metal Tech cage for my Lynchburg Lemonade (in the 40 section) build and then build a new roll bar for this one. I keep going back and forth on drivetrain. I now have the TBI 350, a 6.0 LS, and a 5.3 LS. The 350 is still in it and should have plenty of power and still not break anything. To swap in the 6.0 I would want to swap back to tons. I really like the wheels and tires on it and they are paid for, so the Toyota axle will more than likely stay.

I have to pull and rebuild the transmission in my race car come Feb, yes missing KOH again this year, Then I really hope to start moving on this build. It has been such a long build, since I originally bought it, almost 10 years now that some of the stuff seams dated but proven. I still have a ton of brand new in the box parts for this that it should go together somewhat quickly, I hope!

Be patient and it will happen. Thanks for waiting,
Rob

Last edited:
So I have a delima...
I posted up the NV4500 split case combo for sale to see if I could sell it- Now I have a buyer for it!!
I want to put the 350 in my Lynchburg Lemonade project so I have fuel injection and a little more power, not that I need it. I do have a home for the 2F.

Do I keep what I have in it now:
1. tbi 350, nv4500 split case

OR install

2. 5.3 LS with 4L60E and split case

3. 6.0 LS with 4L80E and split case

4. 5.3 LS and H55 and split case (maybe not enough overdrive for v-8)

This is not going to be a hardcore rig, may not see much 4wd use at all. It will get driven around town and on the highway. I do not need the low gears of either the nv4500 or the H55, BUT I do want overdrive, not just rubber overdrive. I am not sure that I may not get annoyed with the low first gear of the manual trans options.

What are your opinions and why?

So I have a delima...
I posted up the NV4500 split case combo for sale to see if I could sell it- Now I have a buyer for it!!
I want to put the 350 in my Lynchburg Lemonade project so I have fuel injection and a little more power, not that I need it. I do have a home for the 2F.

Do I keep what I have in it now:
1. tbi 350, nv4500 split case

OR install

2. 5.3 LS with 4L60E and split case

3. 6.0 LS with 4L80E and split case

4. 5.3 LS and H55 and split case (maybe not enough overdrive for v-8)

This is not going to be a hardcore rig, may not see much 4wd use at all. It will get driven around town and on the highway. I do not need the low gears of either the nv4500 or the H55, BUT I do want overdrive, not just rubber overdrive. I am not sure that I may not get annoyed with the low first gear of the manual trans options.

What are your opinions and why?

I'd do the H55, I had a 40 with an H42 and 4.8 LS. It was perfect for around town but terrible on the freeway, it really needed an overdrive. The automatics are fine but rowing gears in a 40 is great, just my 2 cents.

if you don't mind loosing manual, then I'd probably do the 5.3 LS with 4L60E. I haven't run any of these but from looking at the engines specs and hearing of the reliability of any of the 4L trans options, I would be more than confident I would be satisfied with it. Especially if you put one of those rebuild kits from monster transmissions in it Welcome to Monster Transmission & Performance - We Build More Than Transmissions, We Build Relationships but those get expensive. A 5.3 LS should be more than enough power/torque if you ask me but I guess that could be up to how you want to use/drive it. I would just do some quick calculations of overall gear reduction, engine rpm, and tire size to make sure it is at a decent rpm at highway speeds

If you want a manual the NV4500 is a good choice with a GM engine. The H55 requires an adapter and the transmission is pricey itself. The low of the H55 is nice but I don't think you'll have the overdrive you're looking for. Since you're not staying all Toyota I think the GM transmissions are a bit better fit.

The engines and tranny's are the Cheap part. I already have all them. The adapters add up. selling the nv4500 split case will free up some cash. The 4l60 has to be rebuild and the tail shaft switched which adds more $$.

Other thoughts are:
Add the 5.3 to the nv4500 set up that is already in it

or

just put the 5.3 in my wheeler and leave this one alone.

My head is spinning thinking about all this.

I could use that nv4500 and split case on my stretched 40 on a shortened 80 chassis, with a 6.0...
If the previously mentioned buyer falls through.
I am in Truckee/Reno/ and SF bay area.

I could use that nv4500 and split case on my stretched 40 on a shortened 80 chassis, with a 6.0...
If the previously mentioned buyer falls through.
I am in Truckee/Reno/ and SF bay area.
At this point I think "it is cheaper to keep her" the way she is! I have too much going on with my project Lynchburg Lemonade, then my race car and work that I need to get through those first and then I will decide about this project. My head is still spinning! The LS combo of some sort does sound good but the price to put it in is another thing. This combo is "in" and it was a tbi 350 rig before the stretch so really it is a matter of adding 10" to the exhaust and making new driveshaft. Then putting the rest of the pieces of the puzzle together.

btw, I must have priced the NV4500 combo too low as everybody seems to want it, makes me more apt to keep it?!

Last edited:
I haven't seen the price, and I am pretty new to the cruiser world (MCs and musclecars are my thing) but my buddy who got me into these, and I have been helping with various builds, said I need the 4500 and splitcase to go with the lq4 I got.
I got excited when I saw the complete setup ready to go.

I hear you on going the 'easy' route. There's only so many hours in a week and sometimes you just want to get behind the wheel and have fun.
Often there is no right or wrong way, just what you want, and even that changes often.

I would keep the 350 NV4500 if it were me. Manuals are more fun in a driver, occasional wheeler. You have a race truck with a serious LS drivetrain, there’s something about an old school SBC that feels good at lower RPM’s in a more mild vehicle. Plus it’s already in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom