Marks Offroad Fuel Cell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one I purchased from Jim C. at Downey about 2 years ago. Looks like the exact same configuration to me. It fit under my 74 FJ40 fine until I converted to a toyota 5-speed late last year and flipped the rear springs to get additional driveshaft length. The aux tank was then too close to the rear differential with an OME 2.5 lift and extended shackles. Solution was IPOR did a SOA conversion to provide room for axle articulation without hitting the tank. Delighted with how it all turned out, but significantly more work than I thought I was going into. I had to explain to the spousal unit that it was a very expensive $4000 auxiliary tank.

I have my rear springs flipped with a 4" hell creek lift and 2.5" extended shackles. Do you think I would run in to problems w/ clearance?

Nick

That is very nice. I would be interested in finding one of the programmable sending unit for my Confer tank. Not finding one on the net very easily.

Edit: Disregard - found a few.

Last edited:
Nick:
Interference with diff could happen with your setup. When we did the spring flip (OME dakar for 60's) on the FJ40, it moved the diff back 3 inches (right below the tank). It will be very easy for you to do a dry run install of the tank on your rig before cutting the hole for the filler. Actually could be installed like that in less than 30 minutes. That will allow you to see spatial relationship of tank and diff, and you will be able to judge how close it may end up to the diff. You will also probably have to trim a little bit of the aluminum skid plat on each side in the front where your shocks will be too close (if you got the skid plate). Very easy to do and does not affect integrity of the unit. Let me know if you want pictures and I will post them tonight when I get home.

Yes you will.

I have my rear springs flipped with a 4" hell creek lift and 2.5" extended shackles. Do you think I would run in to problems w/ clearance?

Nick

Calico Kid runs a tank from the TLC Icon. It is pocketed or recessed for your third member. I don't know if he took pictures before he installed it but it is a sweet set up.

Nick:
Interference with diff could happen with your setup. When we did the spring flip (OME dakar for 60's) on the FJ40, it moved the diff back 3 inches (right below the tank). It will be very easy for you to do a dry run install of the tank on your rig before cutting the hole for the filler. Actually could be installed like that in less than 30 minutes. That will allow you to see spatial relationship of tank and diff, and you will be able to judge how close it may end up to the diff. You will also probably have to trim a little bit of the aluminum skid plat on each side in the front where your shocks will be too close (if you got the skid plate). Very easy to do and does not affect integrity of the unit. Let me know if you want pictures and I will post them tonight when I get home.

I would really appreciate pictures. I believe with my reversed springs and shocks moved to the back of the cross member that it won't fit even though I am SOA. Very interested to see the distance from the diff and how your shocks are setup.

I too am interested in the pictures. I have the original Con-Ferr metal tank, and want to flip my rear springs. It sounds like the two are incompatible.

Thanks

Rocky

Clearance pictures with Auxiliary fuel tank

I have a SOA, FJ60 Dakar springs, and the rear axle moved back 3". The front edge of the auxiliary fuel tank is just slightly to the rear of the center of the rear differential dome, with about 4 inches between the tank skid plate and the differential.
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 001.jpg
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 002.jpg
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 003.jpg

Couple of more shots of clearance

More shots, including shocks and tank skid plat clearance.
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 005.jpg
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 010.jpg
fj40  EMU Rear Lift 007.jpg

Hey Lowecrisp, How is your tank supported? In pic2 it looks like you are using a clevis strap for pipe hanging?? Is that the case?

I have a SOA, FJ60 Dakar springs, and the rear axle moved back 3". The front edge of the auxiliary fuel tank is just slightly to the rear of the center of the rear differential dome, with about 4 inches between the tank skid plate and the differential.

I too am interested in the pictures. I have the original Con-Ferr metal tank, and want to flip my rear springs. It sounds like the two are incompatible.

Thanks

Rocky

I've not installed my Con-Ferr type tank, but I just measured. With stock springs, there will be ~2 1/2" between the tank and the diff, and ~2" between the tank and the shocks. There'll be no spring flip in my future... Maybe redrilling spring pads though.:)

any more pictures of these installed?
how low does it hang?
lower than the springs or not?

want to get one soon!!
which vendors have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom