manifold questions (1 Viewer)

I have a 1987 FJ60 with a bad exhaust valve on cylinder #5. I sent the head to a machine shop and got a complete valve job. He also planed the manifolds (attached together). However, he did not get all the "whoop" out of #5 exhaust; my crude measurement with a carpenters framing square and a feeler guage shows one area lacking about 15 thousandths. The machine shop guy said that he felt like that they had to stop planing because it was getting thin. I have also measured the difference in the thickness where the bolts go and it can be substantial...one is over a mm difference between intake side and exhaust side.

I have 2 Felpro gaskets standing by but am afraid to put it together without a consult from some of the knowledgeable cruiserheads on this board. Should I go for it? Should I seek a replacement manifold set? (Don't want headers; read too much about the problems). Can I mitigate the difference in thickness where the bolts attach with some copper washers or half washers?

Speak to me. please.

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
I would vote for a new manifold set. I have run headers and not had a problem on a 2f engine. I have also run double gaskets and not had a problem. With all that I still would vote for a new manifold set.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Thanks for the advice Dynosoar. The new manifold set is about $600. That makes it the low list option although it may come to that. I noticed that the FSM allow up to 0.020 inches of warp in manifolds, so right now I am trying to figure out how to equalize the pressure on the bolts. I have seen some big "rocking" washers on the manifolds of old US 6-cylinders; has anyone tried using these? If so, how did they work?

Copper/Brass Washers?

The Fel-Pro head gasket set that I got has some copper washers in it. There were 3 sizes. I figured out where one type went...on the oil cooler. However, I did not see anyplace for the others. Anyone know where they go? It might be important because I butchered the ones that I got to make bolt spacers for the manifolds....

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
A good used set is always an option. Check out the for sale section.

Dynosoar

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom