Man-A-Fre Hi-Performance 2F & 3F Engines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does any one have any info on these Hi Performance 2F & 3F Engines that Man-A-Fre builds. Here is the web site : MAF Hi-Performance 2F & 3F Engines

They say that when they Blueprint these motors they have a lot of power and become very smooth and very well balanced that they can even idle at 400 RPM.

Would this be a better way to go over a Modern V8 Conversion?
By Modern V8 Conversion I mean a Chevy 5.3 with a 4L60E automatic transmission. Thanks in advance.

My 30 year old F engine would idle at 400 rpm...

I would go with the SBC, if it were me. Hell, I did already.

I think I'd rather spend $4000 (+ $1000 core charge) on other things for the truck, but if you have the $$$$$$$$$, then why not....I hear good things about them, but have never driven a truck with one to compare. You have to run premium gas, too....

Thats alot of coin why not just rebuild it for half the money? I'm not a SBC fan either but its a matter of preference and what you plan to do with your rig.

I just picked up a FJ-43 with a Man-a-Fre High Performance 2F in it.

It is a really strong motor. It runs hard and is very, very smooth.

If I were to do it, I would get them to tune my motor with an Aisin carb though. This one has a Weber and although it is tuned perfectly, they are not very fuel efficient carbs. I love a nicely tuned Aisin.

Just depends on what you want. You can get a low mileage 5.3 and with adapters, you will be right back at the $3000 pretty quick.

I like a Cruiser with a 2F for mild trails and street driving. If yours in a rock-crawler, the EFI/V8 may be better for you.

josemari - what are your goals with this motor? If you just need a motor to get your truck back on the road you can pick up 2Fs in good shape off of this board for $500 pretty regularly. I always recommend finding a 2F with good compression (~135psi across the board) and drop her in. That would be much easier than either rebuilding or cheaper than buying a rebuilt motor.

I probably have around $3000 plus in my rebuilt motor. It would have been MUCH cheaper to just drop in a good, used 2F.

You have to run premium gas, too....

I just discovered this on my second tank. It was pinging like a mother. I added some 93 octane and it really runs smoothly. I look forward to checking the mileage this tank.

Last tank was 13 mpg, but the Weber loves fuel.

As mentioned, it depends on what you intend to do with the vehicle. How will you use it?

I don't have a good story about MAF customer service. The motor in the story had a rookie mistake that caused a bad cylinder. MAF blamed the customer and refused to warrantee it. I would want to know more about the engine builder's qualifications and how they build the motors for that kind of money.

Phil

I've always been curious about these motors myself. Especially since I have my 2F ready to pull out of my 79 for a rebuild. It's nice to finally hear about one thats in a truck. But besides their very costly forged pistons I don't see what makes theirs much different than any other good rebuild/balance/port match the gaskets/add RV cam/shave the head rebuild. This is basically what I have in mind and i'm thinking I can probably do it all for around 1500 if I assemble it myself using regular stock style pistons and do the port matching. At least that's what i'm hoping.

I just discovered this on my second tank. It was pinging like a mother. I added some 93 octane and it really runs smoothly. I look forward to checking the mileage this tank.

Last tank was 13 mpg, but the Weber loves fuel.
Odd, my mileage went up when I replaced the factory carb with a Weber. Before I started screwing with my 40 it was getting 17 combined average. (My commute was pretty evenly split between Hwy and street.) with all the crap I've done to it I still get 12.

Back on topic, $4K+ $????? (shipping) - $1k (core) + $????? (core shipping) sounds expensive. I think the shipping for the engine and core might be the deal breaker. The 2F's are easy to find since so many people do SBC conversions. I'd get a price on a performance re-build from a local shop first.

You will have to run hi-end fuel w/ the MAF engines......

I've only had dealings with 3 Maf engines and all were short lived, no more than 18K max....

One scenario where a engine was installed on the left coast and barely made it to Texas......

I have not been boned by them personally, but there are others who claim they have........

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=MAF

I would not buy one myself or recommend one...........

If you search there are several threads on this subject..........

Last story I heard about the MAF "PERFORMANCE" 2F was a local shop istalled one a customer bought, MAF did not TQ the head bolts, blew the head gasket and F-up the motor, they would not warr. it:mad:

every story has two sides. If you buy their motor , or anyones motor for that matter, and they do not install it, it will be hard to warrantee it. Everyone is a qualified mechanic in their own eyes. I have seen
more F, and 2F motors replaced with the distributor improperly installed, causing motor failure, than I can remember. Maybe the failures are legit, maybe the claimed failures are a mechanic covering their butt. I've only installed two, the last three years ago. Both are still running strong and the customers still happy.
Talk to people who own one and don't listen to the loads of hearsay.
Ask Man-a-fre for a list of references. I would guess they would comply.

Odd, my mileage went up when I replaced the factory carb with a Weber. Before I started screwing with my 40 it was getting 17 combined average. (My commute was pretty evenly split between Hwy and street.) with all the crap I've done to it I still get 12.

Back on topic, $4K+ $????? (shipping) - $1k (core) + $????? (core shipping) sounds expensive. I think the shipping for the engine and core might be the deal breaker. The 2F's are easy to find since so many people do SBC conversions. I'd get a price on a performance re-build from a local shop first.

Just me, but I would love to have a MAF performance 2F. I've heard great things about the builder. The 2F in my 40 runs excellent, but it's tired, and if the rebuild fairy handed me a MAF performance 2F, I'd run it happily and put a MAF sticker on the bumper.

I agree with Rusty, that the shipping is the deal killer. There is a local shop to me with an excellent rep for 2Fs as well, and I'll start there first. if I lived near MAF, I be happy to run their motor.

I'm going to disagree with Rusty about the Weber. The motor always ran rich no matter what I did. I ended up giving it away and going back to a desmogged Aisin. His truck runs well, though, so maybe it was me.

If you're paying someone else to pull, rebuild, & re-install the engine, then $4K isn't too bad in comparison to what you'll end up paying to have your own junk rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom