Magnetic base drill or Hougen, anyone use use one regularly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
Looking for pointers on what to buy, what not to buy, etc. Thinking used, not new (can't justify the $$$ of new). Over the years I've needed one about once a year and made do without. Have project coming up where making do will involve a LOT of carbide burr work that will result in a less than ideal fit. A Hougen would poke those holes much, much easier.

This is the Jancy Slugger (JM101) I picked up (used) years ago. As you say, it's not something I use frequently but it makes the job much easier when I have a need for it.

IMG_2576edit.JPG

The one I got came with a Jacobs chuck on it, which suits my purposes most of the time. Typically they come with an arbor for annular cutters. I like the Jacobs chuck to be able to drill holes with regular bits and I can use hole saws, but there have been a few projects (like the one above) where I'm cutting a quantity of larger holes and (as I'm sure you know) there is a difference between a hole saw and annular cutter at that point. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the arbor pieces for less than I paid for the whole unit with the Jacobs chuck, so I haven't gone that route yet. But it's also probably why I got such a good deal on it. The ones with arbors were fetching a lot more - to the point that it seemed like I might as well just buy new.

I picked this up on eBay a few years back for $525 free shipping. The bonus was the two annular cutters (new) included hidden in the moulded case.
I did have to make a new handle (brass).
I use the Annular cutters more on the lathe and Mill than Mag drill but when I need to drill a round hole on a large piece, this drill is awesome.
29E5A2B2-A5EE-485B-8626-AA8F867CCE17.jpeg
2F9689A7-C2D5-4C43-9E2F-2179E3533DEB.jpeg
6971F4EE-AD0B-4BC3-AA57-AF61DE235D44.jpeg

I didn't have a 1/2" aluminum rod to replace the bent handle so I turned threads on a brass piece I had on hand.

5262DFFF-0051-4F2F-9EBF-C0B795E85183.jpeg

Hears an example of a large Annular cutter used on a lathe. It saves a ton of time drilling, and the slug can be used for something else.

8F7F4F3D-366D-481F-8AA7-BDC62BB27E9D.jpeg

At a long ago former employer I used to use Hougens the same way, though mostly on a mill. That was my first and only real exposure to these tools. Until this shortly up-coming project I've wanted one, but haven't been able to justify it. The HMD904 is my preferred option at this point, but I wondered if there was any advantage to a Milwaukee over it? I would be looking to get a Jacobs chuck for the 904 so that I could use sluggers, hole saws, & drill bits with it.
Anyone ever pushed a slugger thru an angled surface while mounted in a mag base drill?

I've been very happy with my evo carbide metal saw.

At a long ago former employer I used to use Hougens the same way, though mostly on a mill. That was my first and only real exposure to these tools. Until this shortly up-coming project I've wanted one, but haven't been able to justify it. The HMD904 is my preferred option at this point, but I wondered if there was any advantage to a Milwaukee over it? I would be looking to get a Jacobs chuck for the 904 so that I could use sluggers, hole saws, & drill bits with it.
Anyone ever pushed a slugger thru an angled surface while mounted in a mag base drill?

I have used Jancy Slugger mag as well as Milwaukee. All capable tools but I like the compactness offered by Jancy, Hougens.

I have used an Annular cutter on a slope without drama but it must be introduced slowly with steady feed until the cutter is cutting evenly. I also believe the cutters life can be prolonged if the mill scale is removed prior.

I built this machining service cart without drawings so when the time came to drill a couple of precise holes for two machined bushings this tool was used. Again not used often as others have mentioned but a handy tool non the less.
4EDFC7EC-AD69-4555-ACC7-7ABE0FDD9FC9.jpeg

37B25416-A09D-4CAB-BB1B-CAB7AE62664A.jpeg

It's always a good idea to secure the setup when drilling thiner wall material. The toque these tools produce will get you hurt.

C9D2A92E-DD72-4902-9D1D-FF97EAACDBDA.jpeg

FBE98425-5B18-4DF1-8D52-41AC993E506F.jpeg

The kneeling drawer to house 80 or so 5C collets and metrology instruments.
A16BF812-7218-428C-8753-1460E9007B7E.jpeg

No matter which mag drill you find a deal on, it will come in handy.

Thank you!
You've reinforced my expectation of needing to be gentle on the feed into the sloped surface.
Mill scale, being a form of carbide, is hard stuff. I grind it off when ever practical.

Milwaukee has a rechargeable one, saw it on a job the guy using it liked it and said it was it to heavy and really well made.. just passing it on..

Circling back around, I solved the problem without spending $800, and maybe this will help someone else in the future. A sacrificial guide plate and a purpose-purchased $70 Harbor Fright tubing notcher clamped to the bumper provided all of the control and guidance needed to get the holes bored. Some ex-Boeing ariframe drills were long enough to transfer pilot holes thru to the rear of the bumper's structure. It worked brilliantly, I plan to keep the notcher around just for these kinds of projects.

i-rFMW3w7-XL.jpg

Last edited:
This is a fascinating thread, thank you for the education!!

Oddly enough I recently bought a 1-9/16" Hougen cutter. I am using it to bore out Dana 60 rear spindles to clear 35 spline drive-axles in a home built boring jig.

i-sr77PJS-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom