Magnaflow now owns Bosal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to order the y pipe soon. I read that a few folks said to get better gaskets too? Anyone got an Amazon link/part number on a decent set?

@shinsain I have an extra new in box of the newer Bosal/Magnaflow I'll sale you if you want it. Not sure of shipping from VA to WA though.

Going to order the y pipe soon. I read that a few folks said to get better gaskets too? Anyone got an Amazon link/part number on a decent set?
All the information is in this thread.

Old style no longer exists. I posted about it maybe 6 months ago or longer. I bought 11 and never got a single one. If you get one it is pure luck old stock. The a****** from that ebay link we had sent me 2 new style ones after lying to me on the phone and even sending me a pic of the old style ones. He shipped them to me then immediately shut his ebay business down. Now I'm stuck with 2.....ebay refused to take return and credit card won't go for fraud.

*edit* Every single place I bought from all swore it was the old one. They all lied, didn't know better, were misinformed, or idiots. INCLUDING Magnaflow themselves.....

Last edited:
Hmm that makes me less excited about potentially getting one of these. I'm not even 100% I need one - does it make sense to do this preventatively? Doesn't seem like a part that would get made forever.

Hmm that makes me less excited about potentially getting one of these. I'm not even 100% I need one - does it make sense to do this preventatively? Doesn't seem like a part that would get made forever.
If the magnaflow design is truly NLA, I would just keep your stock pipes if they're not cracked and weld in a good universal cat rather than replacing the whole y-pipe.

Just another datapoint. I'm doing a full exhaust replacement. I ordered the CA version the Magnaflow Y-pipe w/cat and also their second cat (this is for a 96, so the serial version). Both look like Magnaflow and not Bosal, quality seems decent enough. The pipe diameter on the second cat is also fine with how it fits into the OEM muffler (I'm going to run an OEM muffler and tailpipe w/resonator). The gaskets it came with don't look great, but I have all OEM gaskets for the whole thing, as well as new rubber mounts.

I was torn with the OEM second cat vs the Magnaflow, the price difference wasn't huge, but I like how the Magnaflow one is turned so it tucks under a bit better. I'm still not sure I made the right call.

My goal is to get this thing as quiet as possible! I'm also sitting here, looking at all these parts and remembering how unpleasant I find exhaust work, and am contemplating taking to the local muffler shop to bolt up.

IMG_9514.jpg

Last edited:
'm also sitting here, looking at all these parts and remembering how unpleasant I find exhaust work, and am contemplating taking to the local muffler shop to bolt up.

I have never done exhaust work. Seems like it's just bolts. Am I missing something on degree of difficulty?

I have never done exhaust work. Seems like it's just bolts. Am I missing something on degree of difficulty?
Once you do exhaust work, you'll know what everyone is talking about.

Just another datapoint. I'm doing a full exhaust replacement. I ordered the CA version the Magnaflow Y-pipe w/cat and also their second cat (this is for a 96, so the serial version). Both look like Magnaflow and not Bosal, quality seems decent enough. The pipe diameter on the second cat is also fine with how it fits into the OEM muffler (I'm going to run an OEM muffler and tailpipe w/resonator). The gaskets it came with don't look great, but I have all OEM gaskets for the whole thing, as well as new rubber mounts.

I was torn with the OEM second cat vs the Magnaflow, the price difference wasn't huge, but I like how the Magnaflow one is turned so it tucks under a bit better. I'm still not sure I made the right call.

My goal is to get this thing as quiet as possible! I'm also sitting here, looking at all these parts and remembering how unpleasant I find exhaust work, and am contemplating taking to the local muffler shop to bolt up.

View attachment 2451503
I did the non-CA exhaust version with these and fit up was very nice.

Make sure to clean out the O2 ports with a file BEFORE you get them under the truck. Many have weld BB's in the hole so the sensor won't go in or it will drag. Also make sure the sealing surfaces are clean and free of weld BB's and burrs on ALL flanges.

I coated mine with two coats of high-temp clear coat before installing in order to try to make them last longer, but I'm in the Midwest.

I was able to install them without removing my WKOR sliders. I bought a COMPLETE set of Toyota hardware and seals (gaskets) as well as manifold studs and nuts prior to my install so there was no doubt I'd have everything.

There is a hanging bracket on the muffler pipe section (bosal) that twisted and cracked the weld during the install that I had to reweld later.

I also had one side flange on the cat the hit the slider and caused a horrible banging sound until I folded the flange away. You need at least 3/8" clearance on ALL sides so it won't bang against things during operation.

The pipe diameter on the second cat is also fine with how it fits into the OEM muffler (I'm going to run an OEM muffler and tailpipe w/resonator).

Would you mind sharing the inside diameter of both sides of the second cat? Also, on the end where the flange is perpendicular to the cat, is the pipe recessed at all inside of the flange, and if so how much?

I recently received the Magnaflow 23622 cat (non-CARB), and each side's ID is 2 3/8" max and the pipe is recessed roughly 1/8" on the muffler side. As others have mentioned, it will not mate to the OEM muffler without cutting the muffler by a 1/4" or so.

Measurements of the second cat only: both sides have an ID of 2 3/8 and both sides are recessed at min 1/8" and at max 3/16" (it's a little crooked). So yeah, the pipe on the OEM muffler is a little long and cut at an angle so that will need to be trimmed a bit to seat properly I think.

I think my truck is ok on exhaust for a bit yet, but this thread got me looking at parts anyway.
Good lord! Oem 17401-66090 1500 dollars! No wonder we are looking at the few alternatives. On Summit Racing, there is a "Walker" WLK-54567 , a "pace Setter" PSM-326106 and a "AP Exhaust" APH-650516 (looks like Ca compliant) parts that is supposed to work, has anyone tried these?
By my very quick math, we're looking at $3k to do an OEM exhaust Y-pipe back. If it lasts 25 years that's one thing I guess.

@MrMikeyG

That's a good point regarding OE prices and I've been watching to learn about the alternatives posted on the forum as a result. Given what I've seen so far I can see $3k being worth it if you expect to drive your 80 another 20+ years. The best alternative that I'm aware of is the Otramm stainless plus Magnaflow Y pipe setup which comes in around $2300 roughly.

After all of these years and miles the OG exhaust system was pretty solid on my 80 when I bought it a few years ago. The main issues were crusty hardware, worn out rubber mounts and the bracket/hanger on the muffler broken off. I had that bracket welded back onto the muffler, replaced all hardware, resealed and re-hung the OE system and it has been going strong for a while since. I wouldn't normally repair an exhaust system like that but $3k was a big jump vs. a few welds and hardware and I'm guessing my repaired system will outlast at least some of the aftermarket options if not all of them.

Given how well my exhaust system has done pre and post repairs I'll be keeping an eye out for clean used exhaust parts from any part-out I run into, to keep as backup. That and access to a good welder may be all that I need for the life of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom