Magnaflo Overland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all

I am a recent 2011 GX 460 owner and I am considering a Magnaflo overland series exhaust and an airbreather. Has anyone done these mods and what has been the benefit?

Cheers!

Phil

I have the Magnaflow Overland cat back. I just l ike the way it sounds, plus the high-tuck tailpipe. Hard to say if there is any horsepower gain. The sound is of course louder than stock (most anything would be), but on the mellow side. Put it this way, most American pickup trucks are louder.

So you enjoy the sound upgrade? It's hard to tell the sound difference on the Magnaflo site.

Definite V8 sound with the Magnaflow. I have the same one but it was installed on my 2013 before I bought it. So I really don’t have a comparison. But I love the way it sounds. And no real drone on the road. But it does put a bigger smile on my face when I put my foot into it.

Following. Considering this, the aFe, and Carven kits. Would love to add some volume under acceleration without subsequently adding drone on the highway-- though ask, I know. Those with the Magnaflow Overlander seem divided regarding whether it brought drone with it.

Generally if you can increase airflow, you'll get some some (miniscule) amount of power gain, but you should also see a wee bump in MPG too!
It's good you're looking at both intake an exhaust. So many people only look at just the exhaust and don't understand that you can have the most open exhaust in the world but unless you also open up the intake, any performance gains are minimal.
I'm willing to bet you'll see more performance in mpg than hp.

Definite V8 sound with the Magnaflow. I have the same one but it was installed on my 2013 before I bought it. So I really don’t have a comparison. But I love the way it sounds. And no real drone on the road. But it does put a bigger smile on my face when I put my foot into it.
The stock system is almost silent except maybe at WOT.

But I agree the Magnaflow Overland has nice V8 sound on acceleration, pretty quiet at cruise.

Last edited:

Good to know about the lack of drone. Thanks, that helps!

Generally if you can increase airflow, you'll get some some (miniscule) amount of power gain, but you should also see a wee bump in MPG too!
It's good you're looking at both intake an exhaust. So many people only look at just the exhaust and don't understand that you can have the most open exhaust in the world but unless you also open up the intake, any performance gains are minimal.
I'm willing to bet you'll see more performance in mpg than hp.
Any bump in mpg is a plus. I drive like an old man these days to save on fuel consumption so the HP would be nice but not the goal.

Reactions: r2m
Following. Considering this, the aFe, and Carven kits. Would love to add some volume under acceleration without subsequently adding drone on the highway-- though ask, I know. Those with the Magnaflow Overlander seem divided regarding whether it brought drone with it.
Hello all

I am a recent 2011 GX 460 owner and I am considering a Magnaflo overland series exhaust and an airbreather. Has anyone done these mods and what has been the benefit?

Cheers!

Phil
Thanks for the info gents. Lots to consider.

Any bump in mpg is a plus. I drive like an old man these days to save on fuel consumption so the HP would be nice but not the goal.
You aren't going to be getting night and day mpg differences. A little bit of backpressure loss isn't going to help you like you think, the airflow they tout is always at the top end of the spectrum meaning you can make a whole 5HP more possibly. I've done thousands of back to back runs on dyno and have seen errors of 10hp with the exact same equipment, backpressure etc. The overall length of the exhaust system is virtually the same I would be shocked if the end resistance is really that different, maybe the resonator at the end being the largest adder.

The reason this product exists is for clearance and sound. IMO you can achieve the clearance objective for $50 with these:
Turn Down Pipe Universal Exhaust Hanger and by removing the last resonator you probably allow a little bit more noise and you lose that restriction like the magnaflow. Food for thought.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I experienced a noticeable power gain on my GX470 with a Borla Touring exhaust. Hills that used to require a 4th gear downshift to pull I'm now pulling at 2,100 rpm in 5th gear with the TC locked. I honestly have no idea if peak power/torque is any different at all, but it certainly has more midrange and low-end torque. My 470 has long-tube headers on it (which were a significant power gain themsleves from stock); so I'm thinking that the stock exhaust had become a bottleneck after the header mod. Perhaps on an otherwise stock vehicle it would not make much of a difference, as the OEM exhaust manifolds on both the 2UZ and 1UR are restrictive. Once that restriction is removed, it really opens things up.

FYI - the Magnaflow, IIRC, is 409 stainless. The Borla Touring I purchased (for a 5th gen 4Runner) is better-quality 304 stainless, is $150 cheaper, and sounds amazing. It might require some hanger/tip mods to fit a 460, however, and mine does have a bit of a 2,000-rpm drone. I'm sure the Magnaflow Overland is a good kit, it's just really pricey at nearly $800 for something that is probably 409 stainless and not even full length. It's unlikely to get an aftermarket exhaust on one of these that doesn't drone, so if a drone is going to bother you and you don't want to add a resonator to your new aftermarket exhaust, just keep the OEM exhaust.

Last edited:
You aren't going to be getting night and day mpg differences. A little bit of backpressure loss isn't going to help you like you think, the airflow they tout is always at the top end of the spectrum meaning you can make a whole 5HP more possibly. I've done thousands of back to back runs on dyno and have seen errors of 10hp with the exact same equipment, backpressure etc. The overall length of the exhaust system is virtually the same I would be shocked if the end resistance is really that different, maybe the resonator at the end being the largest adder.

The reason this product exists is for clearance and sound. IMO you can achieve the clearance objective for $50 with these:
Turn Down Pipe Universal Exhaust Hanger and by removing the last resonator you probably allow a little bit more noise and you lose that restriction like the magnaflow. Food for thought.
That's exactly what I did (except I had a muffler guy weld it on) last week because of crumpling the tail pipe and resonator.
No more resonator and just a short down turn pipe straight from the muffler.
So far no noticeable noise gain, drone or any other annoying sounds.

That very interesting. My desired goal is clearance and sound, mpg was a hopeful bonus. Do you think an air breather is a good addition or a waste of money?

That very interesting. My desired goal is clearance and sound, mpg was a hopeful bonus. Do you think an air breather is a good addition or a waste of money?
I know your question is directed toward mudwagon, but here's a common sense answer: generally your exhaust flow is only as much as your intake. You can't flow more exhaust if you don't open up intake. So yeah, if you want to increase your exhaust flow, you'll need to increase your intake too.

I know your question is directed toward mudwagon, but here's a common sense answer: generally your exhaust flow is only as much as your intake. You can't flow more exhaust if you don't open up intake. So yeah, if you want to increase your exhaust flow, you'll need to increase your intake too.
I'll take all the tips I can get, thank you!

Reactions: r2m
I assume by air breather you mean an aftermarket intake and if that's the case then yeah waste of money, in my opinion. You can add the airflow you want but the engine is an air pump and it can and will only pump what it is capable of pumping. Without forced induction the "power benefits" are negligible. Stock intake already sources air from outside the engine bay.

The only thing I did was add a K&N filter and mainly that was to reduce consumables down the line; contrary to popular belief the reason you need to change your air filter is due to the seal cracking so apply some seal conditioner every so often instead. The difference in pressure drop of a clean filter to a dirty filter is about 2kpa which is not enough to notice anything or reduce fuel economy by a margin large enough to see results at the pump. That's not say people that go mudding regularly wont need a change sooner than later, but the average person driving in somewhat normal instances is not going to dirty the filter enough to cause a huge drop in airflow. Also, more airflow to the engine = less filtration which means more particulates in your air and more possibility for damage from those particulates. MPG claims aren't going to be valid as they don't have proper emissions standardized testing to validate their claims and HP claims are negligible because you aren't even adjusting the ECM for any added airflow. If the intake came with a new MAP curve and some cam phasing power adders, maybe I could justify the purchase, but fact is your airflow is going to be about the same before and after the change.

There is always the butt dyno improvements, but everyone will have their opinion and I'm not going to tell you what to spend your money on; if it makes you happy go for it. That said if you were to go for it S&B filters is one of the few companies I would suggest going with (they make one for the tundra, same engine RPO).

That's great information. I believe you just saved me a lot of money. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom