MAF sensor cleaning question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just did this on my 99, 137k, had an idle that drifted around at traffic lights. Between 600 and 1000 rpms. Checked MAF per the service manual, the resistance was below spec. Cleaned following the above steps and the resistance went back inside spec, about 2.6 (up from 1.4 kohms). Sitting to reset idle now. Thanks everyone!

Srkpaco, Thank you for this thread, I've never cleaned mine, MY-2000, over 200k and I have not cleaned it. I'm really curious how she runs post cleaning. It runs fine now but I should notice a difference.

The wife had been complaining about the exhaust fumes for quite some time. I just thought it was due to a thirsty V8 engine. Then I started to notice a slight difference in throttle response and idle feel. I remembered the benefits of cleaning the MAF on her alternate brand suv last year and I found this thread and I got to work. Seconds later I was done and all was right in Landcruiser land. I followed Pfran's steps and let it idle for 15 minutes. No noticeable smell during idle and when I drove around the block, I felt that the throttle response was restored.

I've had the cruiser for almost 5 years and it has 132k. This might have been the first MAF cleaning. Thank you to all of you shade tree mechanics that provide folks like me with confidence inspiring information.

It really is too simple to even get a write up.

1. buy CRC MAF sensor cleaner
2. Disconnect negative terminal.
3. Remove the MAF sensor, it is located on the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body facing upwards, it has an electrical plug attached to it. It has two small phillips screws holding it in place.
4. Spray all of the little sensors you see inside of the MAF carefully.
5. Let air dry
6. Reinstall and reconnect battery terminal.

I clean mine about every 10-15K miles. I check it every oil change.
If you haven't cleaned it in a while or never, you will probably notice a significant increase in power and slightly better mileage.
Two screws? Mine seems yo ave about 8 spring metal clips all around the four edges? Am I looking at the right ting or do you ave a differently model not a 100?

Two screws? Mine seems yo ave about 8 spring metal clips all around the four edges? Am I looking at the right ting or do you ave a differently model not a 100?
The MAF should only be attached by 2 screws. As for the metal clips you stated, you might be looking at the entire air box that contains the filter. This is the mass air flow sensor (not my pic nor is it a 100, but the part looks the same and is in a similar location along the intake piping):

MAF-Sensor-Location.jpg

Thank you everyone for the instructions! Did this yesterday with:
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass-Sensor-Cleaner/dp/B000J19XSA

Not only was it a piece of cake, but engine now idles smoothly when I'm stopped at red lights in D. Previously would have this horrible vibration that would cause my center console arm rest to rattle a noise.. Had always thought it was the spark plugs!

I messed up the threads on one of the screws that hold the MAF. Just be careful if you have to remove the sensor itself. My work around since I couldnt save the screw, I went ahead and just loosened the clamp on the 'big pipe" and removed the entire top of the air filter housing. From here I sprayed the sensor and put the whole thing back, reconnected the battery and idled the 100 for 15 minutes. Going to test drive.

Always start by disconnecting battery. Keep battery disconnect for 20 minutes or more to reset ECU. As always disconnect negative battery post first. Clean, grease and reconnecting battery posts once MAF sprayed cleaned and reconnected.
VVV @Layonnn stated procedure nicely:
It really is too simple to even get a write up.

1. buy CRC MAF sensor cleaner
2. Disconnect negative terminal.
3. Remove the MAF sensor, it is located on the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body facing upwards, it has an electrical plug attached to it. It has two small phillips screws holding it in place.
4. Spray all of the little sensors you see inside of the MAF carefully.
5. Let air dry
6. Reinstall and reconnect battery terminal.

I clean mine about every 10-15K miles. I check it every oil change.
If you haven't cleaned it in a while or never, you will probably notice a significant increase in power and slightly better mileage.
I like to start by cleaning battery top with baking soda & water solution of neutralize battery acid .
035.JPG

Battery new Nov 2018.JPG
032.JPG

Do not touch sensors, Spray clean only.
002.JPG

Any more tips guys going to do this on my Lx is it located on the top of the intake.
As cleaning your MAF sensor has been well covered my tip is to ensure your front wheels are pointing straight ahead before pulling the battery negative terminal - reseting ECUs also clears your AHC steering angle values and VGRS values and you want them to initially relearn starting at 0 degrees (wheels straight ahead).

I'm surprised I've never heard of this procedure before. Guess I should give it a shot(pun intended). I suppose it can't hurt anything and I doubt it's been done before on my 148k mile 2000 100.

Does it have to be CRC cleaner?? I got some from NAPA before looking at this thread....
Any spray cleaner that states MAF clean is just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom