Lynx Gulch day run and things I learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are those Non-revo bridgestone duelers? Personally I wouldn't go snow wheeling without meater tread. That takes some balls cruising a foot of snow with a mild tire.

HEY!

*I* wouldn't have played up the closed signs!

Guilt deflected! :flipoff2:

I prefer the honesty route. The discussion is good and it was said, we all learned from. Now I'm glad that the topic of discussion is on the technical learning of the thread.

What are those Non-revo bridgestone duelers? Personally I wouldn't go snow wheeling without meater tread. That takes some balls cruising a foot of snow with a mild tire.

Bridgestone Dueller A/T 285/75/16 with probably 80k miles on them!!!!!!

Best tires I ever owned!!!!

Not the ideal snow tire :rolleyes:

The way you used the Hi-Lift is one of the most valuable reasons to carry that thing. Being able to lift and pivot the rear of the vehicle, and "walk" it out of a tight spot is really helpful. A receiver hitch is the perfect fulcrum point. Some folks don't care for the Hi-Lift, but without it you would have been fairly screwed.

This thead sucks without more pics of your wife. She looks like she is 22! Very cute gal. Tell her sister I have a winch and lockers. She would never have to dig in the snow.

You can't get the hi-lift off without removing the tire because I had it moved real close to the rear deck. Sorry, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I have a winch and lockers and try to never use that damn thing as it looks like a pain to deal with and a good way to F Stuff up.

Warn Electric - 8,000 to 10,500 lbs.

Might want to invest in one of these.

The way you used the Hi-Lift is one of the most valuable reasons to carry that thing. Being able to lift and pivot the rear of the vehicle, and "walk" it out of a tight spot is really helpful. A receiver hitch is the perfect fulcrum point. Some folks don't care for the Hi-Lift, but without it you would have been fairly screwed.

Oh lets all be clear. If neither of us didn't have a Hi-Lift, I would have been 100% screwed, no doubt about it. I still would NOT have had LX470PILOT made a snatch strap attempt because that was just too risky especially since he had no more spares. Worse case he would have gone out until there was reception and I would have had him call up someone from the Trail Crew to bail my ass out.

Regardless of what people think of them, EVERY truck should have a Hi-Lift.

x2 I hate Hi-Lifts... They scare the crap out of me. But I carry one because sometimes it's the only thing that's gonna get you out.

x2 I hate Hi-Lifts... They scare the crap out of me. But I carry one because sometimes it's the only thing that's gonna get you out.

Agreed.

I kept asking my wife....

"Is the truck in park, is the parking brake on?!"

Everyone stayed out of the way when I was using it. You can see the angle I was at when lifting, I was so paranoid about the truck sliding back.

When the other truck had the flat on FLAT ground, thats when I had her use the Hi-Lift so she knew how to use it and what to expect.

This thead sucks without more pics of your wife. She looks like she is 22! Very cute gal. Tell her sister I have a winch and lockers. She would never have to dig in the snow.

You can't get the hi-lift off without removing the tire because I had it moved real close to the rear deck. Sorry, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I have a winch and lockers and try to never use that damn thing as it looks like a pain to deal with and a good way to F Stuff up.

Warn Electric - 8,000 to 10,500 lbs.

Might want to invest in one of these.

Yes my wife still looks like she is barely out of her teens. When she is dressed up....my gawd she is stunning. I definitely married well outside my pay grade. :flipoff2:

Didn't realize the parameters changed because you moved the tire back. Thats good to know. I just need to plan around it now. Its not the end of the world.

I will be getting the winch as soon as you sell me your Short Bus :flipoff2:

Bumper and winch will be coming eventually. All in good time.

There is also a way to place the hi-lift a certain way so that the base of the hi-lift hits the bumper not the tail-light. It has to be on a certain pair of holes and turned a certain way. Once you get it just put it back the same way and you will never have it hit the tail light.

When I use a Hi-Lift, I'm not so much worried about the truck... I've had the jack handle clock me under the chin. I've had the jack slip and fly out from the truck. Those things are horrible.

Well its didn't make my situation any better by the fact that I couldn't actually see what the lift was resting the base on. It just disappeared into the snow.

There is also a way to place the hi-lift a certain way so that the base of the hi-lift hits the bumper not the tail-light. It has to be on a certain pair of holes and turned a certain way. Once you get it just put it back the same way and you will never have it hit the tail light.

Hmm, I guess I'll play with it.

Well its didn't make my situation any better by the fact that I couldn't actually see what the lift was resting the base on. It just disappeared into the snow.

That does make it harder... I usually carry a 20" long peice of 2x6 that I use as a base. It's a lot cheaper than buying one and you can burn it in a pinch.

to see the joy on her face when she got to go playing in the mud was priceless.

I can't figure out why nobody has singled that quote yet. :flipoff2:

I really liked your write-up. Just like last year's Mojave Trail, full of fun and interesting data. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Here some of my pics before the Camera battery died!

Personally I think everything could have been avoided with proper tires!

LX470 Pilot, wanna buy my Hi-Lift in your car, PM me, lol

3287367848_25f20b760f_b.jpg

3286553845_7673b5692f_b.jpg

3286551953_cd2c8d32d2_b.jpg

3287368466_8dfbd708a6_b.jpg

When I use a Hi-Lift, I'm not so much worried about the truck... I've had the jack handle clock me under the chin. I've had the jack slip and fly out from the truck. Those things are horrible.

Exactly. It's good to be afraid of a Hi-Lift - they can kill you. You need to be very aware of the plane of the handle and make sure you keep your upper body and face out of it. The natural tendency is to lean into it as you push down but if it kicks (and they do kick) you can lose all your teeth or worse in a second.

And the base can walk, and slip, easily without warning. That big plastic base Hi-Lift sells would have worked well in the snow and sand. I've never actually used that base thing, but I do keep a few pieces of wood to use as a base.

But sooner or later it is the right tool for the job.

I was just looking at my pics of Death Valley and Saline. Shoot if we followed all the ROAD CLOSED signs we would NEVER be allowed into Death Valley. :flipoff2:

Start the flaming again :popcorn:

I actually called the ranger before our last trip to death valley regarding the road closed sign at the saline valley south pass entrance. He said it was put there by the county because they were grating the road and its sole purpose was liability. They didn't want anyone hitting the parked grating machinery and suing the state. The ranger said that no laws were being broken by entering death valley national monument passing though the road closed sign. So I guess my point is that a simple call and being informed can make a difference.

As for getting stuck, simple chains on the lead vehicle probably would have given it the ability to free your LX. If not then your Hi-Lift wins. Perfect time to use the Conferr base and you missed the opportunity.

As for getting stuck, simple chains on the lead vehicle probably would have given it the ability to free your LX. If not then your Hi-Lift wins. Perfect time to use the Conferr base and you missed the opportunity.

Well....as it turns out I did have chains. I probably should have mentioned that. But it also helped that I remembered just as I read what you wrote. :doh:

BUT that being said, I would still us the Hi-Lift before the chains. Though it would change my answer about waiting for help. If it really came down to it, chains would have gotten out I'm sure. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom