Lynx Gulch day run and things I learned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The problem with chains is you have a tendency to dig. You have to be really quick on stopping your tires in the snow when your progress is halted or you will just dig and bury yourself... Again, lessons learned the hard way!

I don't need to hear this. I thought I was unstoppable in chains...

The problem with chains is you have a tendency to dig. You have to be really quick on stopping your tires in the snow when your progress is halted or you will just dig and bury yourself... Again, lessons learned the hard way!

This is true. I think I will try out the chains next time just see the difference and so I can have the experience of trying it as an extraction method.

I don't see the problem here. You extricated yourself, using the right equipment in the right manner. I love extraction stories; and the simpler and less equipped, the better.

As far as the road closures go, this is Southern California. When someone closes a road here, there is often no rhyme or reason to it. A CalTrans or County worker puts up a sign at his or her own discretion, usually to prevent human lemmings from getting stuck en masse, until the crew are able to work on the road to make it Camry-friendly once again. The closure sign is a CYA maneuver that they can invoke, should the Camry driver just go for it anyway. I'm sure in Colorado and Oregon and other places where people know what weather is and maybe even how to conduct themselves in it, a road closure might actually mean something. Here, not so much.

(What's a native Californian? Someone who forgot they are from Kansas.)

As for perception, at least as far as the perception of our perceived enemies is concerned, if we were all that attuned to them and their perception, if we really wanted to make a huge difference and actually work it out with them, we'd stay the fxxx home and go to Starbucks in our Priuses and take public transit to Amoeba Records and the Topanga Mall. In California, we have regulated the fun out of life. If you're gonna do anything worthwhile or fun in California, you're going to be s***ting on someone's doorstep, offending their delicate senses, altering their perception. It can't be helped.

This is California. Everything is serious.

Having lived from 1986 to 2007 at the bottom of almost every entry point to angeles crest 86-94 the entry point in sunland/tujunga, 94-04 the entry point on hwy 2 in la canada and 04-07 the entry point on sand canyon in canyon country I can say that the road closed signs there aren't that big of a deal to 4 wheelers. The CHP and the forrestry service up there are cool and laid back. Most of the time all you have to do is show them what you are driving and they will let you through if you sign a waiver.
I do miss angeles crest over here in charlotte
Did the ski areas (waterman and kratka) ever open back up??

Ok I just got off the phone with the Altadena California Highway Patrol. The guy at first was just really stern and said, "A road closure is a road closure". Then after we talked for a little bit and I asked him about my particular situation, he took another approach by telling me that the road closures that are seen on Highway 2 are by CalTrans not by the CHP. CHP is there for traffic control, accidents, etc. CalTrans actually controls what gets closed, where and when using CHP guidelines.

Also after talking he said that a road closure during inclement weather, like yesterday, meant that off shoot roads would be closed so that CalTrans could concentrate on the main artery roads such as the 2 for snow plowing.

He also said that if we were to go directly to the CHP officer on duty, and assuming there were no traffic congestion and/or accidents, and simply told him that we were there for off-roading and specifically stating which trail we were getting to that he would have directed us to the direction best suitable to get to the trail head. He said that if the officer saw that we were in capable 4WD vehicles that he more than likely would have just waved us along through the closure SO LONG AS we also had appropriate chains.

He said that if the officer saw that we were in capable 4WD vehicles that he more than likely would have just waved us along through the closure

I thought I just said this :grinpimp:

Ok I just got off the phone with the Altadena California Highway Patrol. The guy at first was just really stern and said, "A road closure is a road closure". Then after we talked for a little bit and I asked him about my particular situation, he took another approach by telling me that the road closures that are seen on Highway 2 are by CalTrans not by the CHP. CHP is there for traffic control, accidents, etc. CalTrans actually controls what gets closed, where and when using CHP guidelines.

Also after talking he said that a road closure during inclement weather, like yesterday, meant that off shoot roads would be closed so that CalTrans could concentrate on the main artery roads such as the 2 for snow plowing.

He also said that if we were to go directly to the CHP officer on duty, and assuming there were no traffic congestion and/or accidents, and simply told him that we were there for off-roading and specifically stating which trail we were getting to that he would have directed us to the direction best suitable to get to the trail head. He said that if the officer saw that we were in capable 4WD vehicles that he more than likely would have just waved us along through the closure SO LONG AS we also had appropriate chains.

That's good to know. I actually did the same thing as you did a month or two ago. Ended up just turning around on lynx gulch though, it was nighttime and didn't want to deal with getting stuck (we had full gear; chains, winch, hi-lift, tow strap, etc just didn't want to deal with it).

That's good to know. I actually did the same thing as you did a month or two ago. Ended up just turning around on lynx gulch though, it was nighttime and didn't want to deal with getting stuck (we had full gear; chains, winch, hi-lift, tow strap, etc just didn't want to deal with it).

Relatively speaking this trail is a cake trail and is NOTHING compared to other trails out there. It just happens to be close. During a dry summer day this trail would be a no brainer and a non-issue.

hahhaha, saw yours after I wrote mine up :flipoff2:

You called it though :D

Waiting to hear about how I should have gotten permission first :rolleyes:

Well lets just get it out of the way then

You should have gotten permission first :flipoff2:

So back to my one question did the ski areas ever open up again??

Relatively speaking this trail is a cake trail and is NOTHING compared to other trails out there. It just happens to be close. During a dry summer day this trail would be a no brainer and a non-issue.

yep it is. a 2wd vehicle with adequate clearance can make it in the summer. but in the winter the water holes are fun to drive through! :D

Yeah really not that hard of a trail unless it is after a hard rain.

I used to borrow my friends 4wd ranger in high school to take girls up there and ummmm look at the stars :D

Well lets just get it out of the way then

You should have gotten permission first :flipoff2:

I'm a rebel, I don't need to stickin' permission. :flipoff2:

On the way up we folks during towards "SKI AREA -->" with skis on their roof racks so I am going to guess that at least one of them was open. Also taking the 2 direct to Wrightwood was a no go.

Waterman is open. I'm pretty sure they only open when there's some snow up there, which is pretty rare the last few years (except for the past few weeks).

Ski Mount Waterman

I used to borrow my friends 4wd ranger in high school to take girls up there and ummmm look at the stars :D

So why you were looking at the stars were your friends boffing your girlies? :flipoff2:

So why Charlotte? My folks moved to some hell hole called Kernersville in NC.

I'm a rebel, I don't need to stickin' permission. :flipoff2:

On the way up we folks during towards "SKI AREA -->" with skis on their roof racks so I am going to guess that at least one of them was open. Also taking the 2 direct to Wrightwood was a no go.

Yeah when I was back for a visit in september there where a bunch of dump trucks hauling away rocks from where the slide was back in 03 from the 2. They where comming up right where the closed (for over 30 years) hwy 39 hits the 2. I asked one of them and they said that the road will be cleared soon but they then have to remake the road where it fell into the canyon and most likely won't be open till 2010

Also taking the 2 direct to Wrightwood was a no go.

I wish they would open this route! It's closed all of winter. This would make getting to Mt. High such an easier task!!!

So why you were looking at the stars were your friends boffing your girlies? :flipoff2:

So why Charlotte? My folks moved to some hell hole called Kernersville in NC.

long story short.... got married and decided to go back to school and couldn't affoard really to live in L.A. and do both at the same time and have any kind of life. I have some family in charlotte and it is dirt cheap compared to L.A. but at the same time very nice with lots to do. I have a house now and go to school full time while working full time. Don't think I could have done it back home.

I wish they would open this route! It's closed all of winter. This would make getting to Mt. High such an easier task!!!

Not for the passengers in the back. This road is the only one I ever remember getting car sick in and throwing up. I think I was like 14. And actually now that the 210 connects direct to the 15 is MUUUUCH easier just doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom