Lx570/200 to Mercedes G (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hope all is well. Have a 15 LX570 and 91 FJ80 ..was wondering if anyone has jumped from 200 series platform to Mercedes G class and their thoughts on daily usability, trips, pet peeves etc.. thanks in advance.

Hope all is well. Have a 15 LX570 and 91 FJ80 ..was wondering if anyone has jumped from 200 series platform to Mercedes G class and their thoughts on daily usability, trips, pet peeves etc.. thanks in advance.

If anyone ever did make that jump, they'd probably be too embarrassed to come back to this forum :wacky:

If anyone ever did make that jump, they'd probably be too embarrassed to come back to this forum :wacky:
My experience with MB gl550 (not G) is it was a nice vehicle but the $245 dollar A service which was an oil change and tire rotation, and $600 dollar B service...which was an oil change and tire rotation with a little bit of "checking" this and that was utterly ridiculous.

If you don't mind getting bent over with a Louisville Slugger every 10k the G is certainly capable and unique. That's why I ended up with a LC 200. Gas, tires, and an oil change every 10k for under $100 (free the first 2 years) and your golden. As for long term ownership I'm not feeling it. My advice for any MB is to consider leasing it.

Last edited:
I did reverse. I came from 2 mercedes g-class W460 to 100 then 200. I love the 200 more. Its much more nimble on its feet for me. What I loved about the G class was the weighty box frame but it was also too heavy and not fun to drive. I do like the look of the G class more. The W460 had spartan interiors but I had 35" tires.

I have a couple of pre MBUSA Europa imported G500s.

I'll say in general the LC is a much more reliable vehicle, from electronics to plastics that don't degrade. The G is a much more interesting drive, theres nothing that offers the same driving position. Narrow body adds to the experience IMO. The G is a much older platform, I'd guess it would drive closer to a 80 than a 200 due to solid axles- but with a more modern and powerful engine.

I would recommend driving both, see which one you prefer. Just know the G will cost more to keep on the road, but that shouldn't be a surprise right?

Last edited:
I went the opposit way as well. Went from a 2003 g500 to a 2013 LX 570. I drove the g for 10 years and now the LX for 5. On road the Lx is so much better it is not even in the same game. The new IFS G may drive better but my 2003 drove very similar to my 1993 f250 diesel that I had at the time for a plow truck or my J60. The fit and finish was top level but the interior was straight out of a C class and feels very cramped and small. Even though it was smaller turning radius was much longer and it just felt more clumsy. I off road often and hard. Both did well off road. The LX is much easier to work on, MB in general require many “special” (expensive) tools. And parts for the Lx are much less. The G was not good on long trips, harsh ride, heavy steering, crappy seats.

My 0.02. I really liked my G and if I still had a truck to pull our camper I would probably still have it. That said there is no way I would go back to one from the LX now. Unless you off road hard to the capacity or are getting the G as more of a “toy” there is no way I would consider it.

Last edited:
My experience.....12 MPG /premium on a good day + MB dealers don't have salty popcorn in the service waiting room.

Thanks for the inputs. G class looks interesting for sure. I haven’t had a chance to drive one but saw a 16 G63 in the local area for sale...wife is a fan of merc products, has an new E class. Quality has improved much but to be seen in long term

Thanks for the inputs. G class looks interesting for sure. I haven’t had a chance to drive one but saw a 16 G63 in the local area for sale...wife is a fan of merc products, has an new E class. Quality has improved much but to be seen in long term

She won’t like a 2016 G class. The G has a solid front axle — that’s a lot of unsprung weight that negatively affects ride and handling.

My 2003 G was very high quality. Never had one issue in 10 years. I even rolled it in Moab and only damage was broken side mirror.

If your wife likes MB wifeYou will end up with one. The short version of how I ended up with the G. In 2004 I Wanted a 100 series, my wife hated the LC, then we wen to the Lexus dealer, she hated the LX less. My wife was very loyal to MB (now Tesla, on her 2nd...) she has had a SL, SLK, and 2 e’s over the last 20 years. The MB dealer was next to Lexus and they had a dealer demo G500. We left with a 2003 G500 and a 2004 e320 4 matic. My wife always said how much she loved the G but hated the way it drove. Basically it’s a heavy duty well built 1970’s Jeep with an insanely nice motor.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of people who cross shop between the 200 series and G class. I went from a G63 to the 200 (well kind of as we kept the G). Both were finalists when initially selecting a new family vehicle but at the time I couldn't see spending $80k on a Toyota. Two years later, that now feels like a bargain for what you get in the 200.

It really depends what you plan on using it for. The G is super fun to drive around town and even on long distance drives, but if you have kids, more that 2 adult sized passengers, or are towing, the 200 wins.

Drive it and go from there. They hold their value pretty well so if you get a used one for a good deal and decide in 2 years that you don't like it, you won't lose much in depreciation. Mine is a '17 and we have had zero issues at 20k mi. We'll see how it does long term.

My wife always said how much she loved the G but hated the way it drove. Basically it’s a heavy duty well built 1970’s Jeep with an insanely nice motor.

Exactly. When people ask if it is a Mercedes version of a Jeep, I tell them its a fancy, well built one with a killer motor.

Last edited:
but if you have kids, more that 2 adult sized passengers, or are towing, the 200 wins.
Adult must mean 5'5" or less. The G wagen back seat is ridiculously lacking in leg room. However, It is perhaps, short of a unimog, the most capable off road animal there is. As a DD, no effing way, and the service (on average, some of you G owners might be driving unicorns) issues are significant.

Kinda like buying an H1 - a few weeks later of DDing the thing you are thinking "what was I thinking?"

And, for some weird reason the G reminds me of one of these (a great beach machine, BTW, due to it's low weight - floats on the sand)

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 9.15.27 AM.png

Last edited:
The 2019 G is a complete redesign with IFS, a few inches wider, and I think longer as well. My wife is interested in trading her 570 for one, but the local dealer never has one in stock.

The 2019 G is a complete redesign with IFS, a few inches wider, and I think longer as well. My wife is interested in trading her 570 for one, but the local dealer never has one in stock.
My dealer has 2 of the new ones, and a “g-squared” :), now if I could talk my wife into that one? I sat in one the other week when I was at the dealer to get an oil filter for the 2004 e we still have that our kids drive now. The interior went from C class to e/S class. Rear seating is way better, cargo space is less. Talked to the sales guy there that has sold me 4 MBs, 911 turbo and my Lx (dealer group has most car dealers in town). He said the new one drives way better, still feels tall, he said the 550 is very similar to a slightly stiffer LC with a 3-4” lift

My Co-worker has a G63 AMG and I have the 16' LX, I have driven both enough to judge. Basically, Id rather drive any vehicle besides the G wagon. I find it to be incredibly uncomfortable, drives awful, isn't luxury at all, and is in the shop often. It also was described by the owner as a "death trap in the snow." He put snow tires on it but that powerful engine on that top heavy truck is awful.

Feels like driving a stagecoach, you sit up high on an uncomfortable seat. Nothing feels tight or modern because it isn't.

Thanks for the inputs. I test drove the 16G63, initial impression it felt raw and incomplete compared to LX. Reminded me a bit of 80 series.. engine was great but didn’t have enough time with it to make solid impressions. Told the associate will think about it.

My Co-worker has a G63 AMG and I have the 16' LX, I have driven both enough to judge. Basically, Id rather drive any vehicle besides the G wagon. I find it to be incredibly uncomfortable, drives awful, isn't luxury at all, and is in the shop often. It also was described by the owner as a "death trap in the snow." He put snow tires on it but that powerful engine on that top heavy truck is awful.

Feels like driving a stagecoach, you sit up high on an uncomfortable seat. Nothing feels tight or modern because it isn't.

I would say I have the exact opposite impression but that's why it was important for the OP to test drive one as any "review" is mostly subjective. I'm 6'3'' and feel like the seats and driving position of the G are really comfortable. Great visibility all around and because its so narrow, it feels like driving a side x side compared to our 200. Stock it comes with summer only tires so of course its awful in the snow. With proper tires, I think it does well in the snow. Blasted around in 2+ feet of powder during a Tahoe storm this February and it felt just as stable as my 80 or 100.

Maybe daily driving an 80 on 37"s for a few years distorted my sense of "proper handling".

To the OP, the G is something that if you don't absolutely love the first time you drive it, you will not be happy with it long term. Keep the 570.

I would say I have the exact opposite impression but that's why it was important for the OP to test drive one as any "review" is mostly subjective. I'm 6'3'' and feel like the seats and driving position of the G are really comfortable. Great visibility all around and because its so narrow, it feels like driving a side x side compared to our 200. Stock it comes with summer only tires so of course its awful in the snow. With proper tires, I think it does well in the snow. Blasted around in 2+ feet of powder during a Tahoe storm this February and it felt just as stable as my 80 or 100.

Maybe daily driving an 80 on 37"s for a few years distorted my sense of "proper handling".

To the OP, the G is something that if you don't absolutely love the first time you drive it, you will not be happy with it long term. Keep the 570.
I’ll agree with this as well. As per the snow comments. Yes tires make a larger difference than any drivetrain. My G and LX are pretty much identical in winter driving. On the better end of larger vehicles, not close to good as an AWD car. Been running Nokian studded Hakka’s in the winter for at least 15 years on every vehicle we’ve had.

My dealer has 2 of the new ones, and a “g-squared” :), now if I could talk my wife into that one?

I tried to talk my wife into the G Squared and was immediately shut down by both her and my accountant. I wouldn't mind picking up a totaled one and pulling the portal axles off of it for a future project. You can get them from Mercedes but they are $72k new for F&R o_O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom