LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC, the metra aftermarket harness did not have the illumination wire in it and I had to borrow a wire and pin from another cheap harness I grabbed at walmart. I used the 70-8113, which is the 20 pin. the 70-8112 is the 15 pin. Since you would be rewiring the vehicle male end anyway, I would think the 20 pin would be easier to use in conjunction with the amp bypass harness 70-8116 if the nakamichi amp has the same imput plug as the one in the LC

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-8113...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

the best kits brand has the illumination wire, if you want to keep the factory amp
Amazon.com: Best Kits BHA8112

That looks like the adapter I used on my 2000 LC a couple of years ago. There are two harnesses, that one to use the factory amp and one that bypasses it. I still have the other harness meant to bypass the factory amp in my garage.
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-8116...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Whoa, jinkees, I think I will stick to running signal to the factory amp and using all the existing wiring to the speakers from the factory amp.
Unless the bypass just plugs into the speaker harness downstream of the factory amp?
Thanks for dealing with all my feeble questions!

Whoa, jinkees, I think I will stick to running signal to the factory amp and using all the existing wiring to the speakers from the factory amp.
Unless the bypass just plugs into the speaker harness downstream of the factory amp?
Thanks for dealing with all my feeble questions!
I'm looking at a '99 lx, so I'm trying to figure it out as well! I need to look at the bypass harness again. I bought it and never opened the package before I sold the cruiser.
here's the wiring instructions from crutchfield for the bypass harness
http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111030154300/Manuals/120/120708116.PDF

The easiest way is to leave the amp alone and just run signal to it after you repin the 22pin OEM male plug to a 20pin male plug to use the aftermarket adapters.

I'm looking at a '99 lx, so I'm trying to figure it out as well! I need to look at the bypass harness again. I bought it and never opened the package before I sold the cruiser.
here's the wiring instructions from crutchfield for the bypass harness
http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20111030154300/Manuals/120/120708116.PDF

The easiest way is to leave the amp alone and just run signal to it after you repin the 22pin OEM male plug to a 20pin male plug to use the aftermarket adapters.

'99 LX with Nakamichi? Sweet! That is exactly what I am running. I really appreciate your information. And I agree, re-pin the connector and use the amp that is there.

After years of hating the Nakamichi head unit in my 200 LX470, I've installed a new head unit, a Blaupunkt New Jersey. Nothing too fancy, but now I have a CD Player, Aux and USB input with an Iphone reader, and Bluetooth with a built in speaker. I didn't want GPS, a remote microphone, or remote aux or USB inputs, mainly because they complicate the install, and I don't need GPS. The Blaupunkt was great, and it also doesn't have flashing lights and a trillion buttons, keeps the clean classy look. Used one of the plastic surrounds off the 'bay, doesn't fit exactly, but no one except me will ever notice.

After reading this thread and the links, one of the best pieces of advice was to get a new head unit with RCA-outs, then use an RCA-to-speaker-wire splitter (available from install shops and others). Not all head units have RCA-outs, but if you want to reuse the factory amp, you'll need these to make sure your head unit isn't amplifying the signal to the stock amplifier.

Install went well, lots of little wires to deal with, and note that your factory wiring on the Nakamichi has two colored wires for different functions (if I recall white and green). When your first cutting wires, pay attention to the location on the stock Nakamichi plug, label them as you cut them. I didn't and had to guess at which wires were which.

End of the day, system sounds great, and I'm looking forward to listening to the ipod and cds.
IMG_0656.JPG

After years of hating the Nakamichi head unit in my 200 LX470, I've installed a new head unit, a Blaupunkt New Jersey. Nothing too fancy, but now I have a CD Player, Aux and USB input with an Iphone reader, and Bluetooth with a built in speaker. I didn't want GPS, a remote microphone, or remote aux or USB inputs, mainly because they complicate the install, and I don't need GPS. The Blaupunkt was great, and it also doesn't have flashing lights and a trillion buttons, keeps the clean classy look. Used one of the plastic surrounds off the 'bay, doesn't fit exactly, but no one except me will ever notice.

After reading this thread and the links, one of the best pieces of advice was to get a new head unit with RCA-outs, then use an RCA-to-speaker-wire splitter (available from install shops and others). Not all head units have RCA-outs, but if you want to reuse the factory amp, you'll need these to make sure your head unit isn't amplifying the signal to the stock amplifier.

Install went well, lots of little wires to deal with, and note that your factory wiring on the Nakamichi has two colored wires for different functions (if I recall white and green). When your first cutting wires, pay attention to the location on the stock Nakamichi plug, label them as you cut them. I didn't and had to guess at which wires were which.

End of the day, system sounds great, and I'm looking forward to listening to the ipod and cds.
View attachment 1357838

Nice! Funny that Blaupunkt would name a car stereo unit "New Jersey"...

Carplay.jpg
Okay, so after having the Blaupunkt New Jersey for almost a month, I wasn't happy with the sound, or the tiny little buttons. I swapped it out for a Kenwood touchscreen with Carplay. So much better. I installed the USB and HDMI inlet just to the right of the AC controls (just off picture). Really like the Carplay functions. I went with Kenwood because they have the separate antenna power wire,
View attachment 1381486

I just went through this installing a Joying Android head unit. Splicing the factory wiring was not difficult using the legend on TLC faq and in this thread. For the speaker wires, I used the screw-post type RCA connectors into the head unit pre-amp output jacks:

50Pcs-Phono-RCA-male-plug-TO-AV-Screw-Terminal-Block-Plug-Connector-CCTV-CAT5-To-Camera.jpg

They don't provide the most secure connection and are really jammed in back there so I might have to switch to a proper low-profile, right-angle pigtail the next time I'm in there (still have to plug in the GPS antenna, back-up cam etc.). Pretty happy with the results, though:

JOYING%20HEAD%20UNIT_zpsmrzvjb26.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any Pioneer units that have separate antenna power wire?

I installed a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS in my '99 LX. It does have a remote turn on wire. This is connected to both the factory Nak amp and power antenna. Been working great for months now. When I turn the head unit on, the amp turns on and the antenna goes up.

On a side note, using the Pioneer speaker outputs to the factory amp doesn't cause any issues. I had previously tried the preamp outputs, with rca adapters on the amp side, but there was nothe enough gain, and an excessive amount of noise.

I installed a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS in my '99 LX. It does have a remote turn on wire. This is connected to both the factory Nak amp and power antenna. Been working great for months now. When I turn the head unit on, the amp turns on and the antenna goes up.

On a side note, using the Pioneer speaker outputs to the factory amp doesn't cause any issues. I had previously tried the preamp outputs, with rca adapters on the amp side, but there was nothe enough gain, and an excessive amount of noise.

This exactly what I am looking to do!

Did you re-pin your LX connector to the 20-pin (or whatever) LC plug?

Did you re-pin your LX connector to the 20-pin (or whatever) LC plug?

No. All of the connections are hardwired. I clipped them one at a time, starting with ground, power, ignition, antenna and amp turn-on, then each speaker.

I cant comment on other brands, but the Nak mounting brackets were a direct fit on the Pioneer. I did however, purchase the $29.00 trim kit on Amazon.

Any Pioneer units that have separate antenna power wire?

Not that I know of. I recently installed a Kenwood - and they have the split remote for an amp, and antenna trigger wires. But they start up so slow it's sort of painful after getting used to a Pioneer.

I was planning to use the same headunit, DaninDenver -- would love for you to document this (out of pure greed for myself). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom