LX470 search - high mileage? (New member) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New member - hi guys :)

Single dad with two growing kids (8/10) looking for a replacement for my RAV4. Current plan is an earlier LX470 or similar timeframe LC. The vehicle will be used as a daily driver exclusively on (really poorly maintained) pavement. I drive about 7500 miles a year, and am hoping to get something that I can keep for 10 years. My top priority is reliability and maintainability. Simple and sturdy is much preferred over fancy and finicky. I suspect a LC is perhaps a better fit, but the Lexus seems easier to find at better prices.

So ... Is there any reason to really stay away from 15 year 250-300K mile vehicles with the goal of making it a 350-400K mile 25 year old vehicle one day? Or should I be focusing on the 100K mile ones?

I've a 99 LX with 185K and other than the AHC issues, it's a great car; I'm likely going to replace the AHC with a LC suspension and be done with it though. I am looking to upgrade to a 200 series LX in the not to distant future and may sell mine. They are both great vehicles...

You mentioned a key factor, maintenance, because catch up can be expensive. However, once you have caught up, the 100 will be remarkably reliable. It is a huge step upward from a RAV4 as far as heavy duty construction is concerned, but it is also a great family vehicle. While maintenance is a huge factor for me on a used vehicle, rust is a real killer. I had multiple Previa vans and they are very durable vans, but I got an All Track that had some rust, and eventually the rust won. We still have a 94 that is running fine. The LC/LX is built to last longer than any other Toyota vehicle, but rust can prevent maintenance because of the lack of a solid support for a replacement part.

The AHC experienced some problems in the early years, primarily for lack of knowledge in proper maintenance. The first time I learned that the AHC fluid needed to be replaced at 60K was on ih8mud. Dealers seemed to think it was a check function instead of a replace. Some techs, hopefully non-Lexus, apparently would substitute brake fluid and destroy the AHC system. In the past 5-6 years, all dealers I have been to seem to be quite aware of the proper maintenance of the AHC. I think when Toyota added AHC as an option to the LC, service technician awareness took a giant leap forward. I have 244 K miles on my 01 original AHC system (only front shocks replaced); but AHC fluid has been replaced every 60K.

I have noticed a tendency of many owners to maintain a vehicle the first 100 K miles, then relax and be inconsistent if not negligent after that. Key indicators of attention to maintenance and care for the vehicle are found in the type of tires they bought, the wear of the tires, condition of the seats and interior in general, missing or broken components, and the number of burned out light bulbs. Do the brakes stop well; smoothly, consistently, and quietly? Does it ride like tires are out of round?, does it pull to one side? Look at the underside- does it show minimal rust, is everything intact? I avoid vehicles that install high flow air filters such as K&N because they are ineffective, allowing fine particles into the intake/engine and oil particles to coat/contaminate the downstream electronics/sensors. The Toyota oem engine air filter is a good value supporting long wear engine life and proper functioning of the sensors and electronic controls. Just be sure to replace it when needed - at least within 30K miles. These all give clues to the maintenance commitment of the previous owner; and how much work you will need to do to get it into a fully maintained status.

200-300 K miles are still relatively young for the LC or LX; they were designed to be durable and last for at least 25 years. Many will show little wear even though 10-15 years old, and should have little reduction in the ride quality. New design and features were added to the 100 in 1998, 00, 03 and 06. While all the 100 series are reliable, I have tended to look for 01/02, 04/05, and 07 models because they represent more mature models for newer features. Since you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time, the initial cost outlay is not as significant when considering the total long term cost-benefit ratio. In general, get the newest model with the features you want that you can fit in your budget.

There are some features about the LX that made it attractive over the LC. My wife is short, so the AHC was a plus for entry/exit and loading items. I learned to appreciate the AHC quickly on our many long trips, because the LX was always at the same running level regardless how much we were loaded up. The ATRAC and VSC are great for safe travel in all seasons and weather conditions. My wife has asthma, so the auto recirculate with smog sensor feature was big; so was the cabin air filter (some LCs had the filter capability, but were not utilized). The Levinson audio system was available in the LX starting in 01 - a very nice upgrade. The interior was similar, but nicer in the LX. The headlights in LX were better.

I drove many used 100s at many dealerships over the years, and got so I could tell quite a lot about one from how it looked, smelled, and drove. I looked in nooks and crannies for tell tale signs of previous conditions - and to make sure all the seats work rights, etc. There is a hierarchy in the used market. A dealerships will have its own internal market and may have its own auction to keep the "best" used cars inside their own brand. If you work with an internet sales person, you can describe what you want, and they will act a bit like a broker in finding it. Lexus can access their internal network of vehicles that have not gone out to a general auction yet; most of these have been maintained at Lexus and have done well in the regular Lexus inspection to prep for sale.

Low mileage can be a negative factor. It can be your first clue it is from the north country, and may have rust issues. It can also be an indicator of heavy city use; thus indicating a higher level of wear. Maintenance should reflect both time and mileage factors; plus the way it was used - city vs highway.

Enjoy your search. Have patience, some people have taken consistent good care of their LC/LX. You want one of those.

Some excellent practical advice lxpearl. Much appreciated.

I'm never going to tow anything, I never take long trips by road (literally) and I'm 6'2". Will The hydraulic suspension the avenues to me? The only upside I can see is the comfort setting, because I basically live in Mississippi's version of Detroit. They can't maintain the roads and they're awful.

Some excellent practical advice lxpearl. Much appreciated.

I'm never going to tow anything, I never take long trips by road (literally) and I'm 6'2". Will The hydraulic suspension the avenues to me? The only upside I can see is the comfort setting, because I basically live in Mississippi's version of Detroit. They can't maintain the roads and they're awful.

An AHC system (whether on a Lexus or L/C) IF not working properly is going to be a headache for you. You can swap out the AHC for a conventional suspension however.

Try to find a vehicle that has a good maintenance history. Particularly Timing Belt/Water Pump replacement(s). You can figure on needing to 'baseline' most vehicles in terms of fluids/lubricants.

But...as previously mentioned...once you have the basic maintenance items covered (Fluids, brakes, hoses, belts) you can expect to have a good reliable vehicle for transportation.

Personally....I'd look for a non-AHC Land Cruiser, but when I was looking, like you....I found LX470's to be much more plentiful, lower in cost...with MUCH less mileage. So that is what I ended up with.

Not for nothing, but you could also consider a 4th generation 4Runner (2003+) with the V8. They had the same flawless engine and (5 speed) tranny as the LC/LX, require very little in terms of expenses to keep up (brakes a bit more often than some vehicles) have a 3rd row seating option and can be had for a decent amount less than the equivalent 100s. Obviously I love my LC, but I also loved my 4Runner.

THis is why iH8mud is the best, I am trying to decide on getting an LX versus a LC and this thread answered all of my questions, gave me insight into what I should look for and what I should avoid. THank you lxpearl and others

I am thinking of buying gx470, after reading this thread, I am thinking buying lx470. :)

The following are comming from gx470 for what to do for pre-purchase check, hope it fits the lx470 too.

1. Rust underneath
2. transfer case leaking
3. rear air suspension
4. timing belt (need to replace every 100k miles or 10 years) serpentine belt
5. codes and if emissions codes indicating that the SAIS system is failing/ has failed
6. Steering rack,
7. radiator,
8. shocks,
9. ac,
10. bushings
11. If it’s pearl white the paint peels
12. exhaust manifold tick, indicating a cracked and/or leaking exhaust manifold (mostly heard when starting up cold)
13.Check the AHC system

Don't let the fear of potential AHC issue deter you from the LX. It's a very robust system and actual failures are few. If you get one do the fluid flush and you'll most likely be good. My current 470 I picked up with 269k miles. One globe going but has 280k now with no other history of issues from PO. The good part is parts are available from those taking out good systems...I picked up an entire system for free from a local member. They are not cheap to maintain if you can't do it yourself, try to find one with the major items covered, TB, WP, steering rack (that's a pricey one if bad and can't DIY). Had a 2006 and had the throttle body go bad, albeit rare. Doesn't sound like you'll fall into the having to armor it up/bigger tire build mindset so those major expenses won't affect you. All opinions of course from my experiences.

Thank you and updated the list.

10. Rust underneath (NOT covered in POR15 to hide it) (Dont't buy it from east or midwest)
20. transfer case leaking
30. rear air suspension
40. timing belt (need to replace every 100k miles or 10 years) serpentine belt
45 Water pump (replace it while doing time belt)
50. codes and if emissions codes indicating that the SAIS system is failing/ has failed
60. Steering rack, (that's a pricey one if bad and can't DIY)
70. radiator,
80. shocks,
90. ac,
100. bushings
110. If it’s pearl white the paint peels
120. exhaust manifold tick, indicating a cracked and/or leaking exhaust manifold (mostly heard when starting up cold)
130.Check the AHC system (fluid flush)

Last edited:
AHC is very useful. Some basic maintenance on it, along with using Techstream (the popular OBD2 software used with the proper OBD2 cable, can be had for cheap on Amazon and eBay), will keep AHC working properly for a long time. The cost to ditch the AHC for conventional LC suspension is about the same as replacing the "globes" on an AHC system, which can be the failure points after 10+ years. For ride comfort, there is no better option on these platforms than AHC. By the description of your roads, AHC is the way to go.

My AHC has been running from new to now (275k miles) only needing $400 in used parts to keep it going, plus fluids. That’s pretty outstanding reliability. And I’m always playing with the HI/LO button, taking it off road, etc., i.e., hard use, still working after 20 years. Can’t beat the safety features of AHC with any aftermarket suspension either. (https://st.club-lexus.ru/attach/u/6b15e9be.pdf)

My AHC has been running from new to now (275k miles) only needing $400 in used parts to keep it going, plus fluids. That’s pretty outstanding reliability. And I’m always playing with the HI/LO button, taking it off road, etc., i.e., hard use, still working after 20 years. Can’t beat the safety features of AHC with any aftermarket suspension either. (https://st.club-lexus.ru/attach/u/6b15e9be.pdf)
WP eh? We're practically neighbors; Maitland here.

I may have missed it, but moving from a RAV4 be prepared for a very significant fuel cost shock.

Otherwise, a well maintained 100 series is almost mileage proof, and a poorly maintained one can be wallet draining even with low mileage.

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but moving Fromm a RAV4 be prepared for a very significant fuel cost shock.

Otherwise, a well maintained 100 series is almost mileage proof, and a poorly maintained one can be wallet draining even with low mileage.

Is it double the fuel cost of RAV4? Thanks.

I looked for one of these for years, but they were all very expensive and always over 200k miles. I thought I would never find one, and someone I knew had a brother-in-law that needed to sell a Lexus. I went over there expecting to be disappointed, but it was an LX in great shape. Price was pretty good so I bought it on the spot, after driving. Be ready to spend a number of weekends looking. The good ones disappear fast, and the same overpriced ones sit for months.

Look for rust, leaks, tapping sound after starting. brake feel and if it's an AHC model, make sure it works. It should go right up and down. If not, it will need work.

I wouldn't shy away from an LX with that mileage if it has a very good service history, and wasn't offroaded much. I think offroading definitely leads to the AHC failing early. The price you save getting an LX instead of an LC at that mileage will probably be spent on a new suspension for the LX. I love my AHC though (it still works, knock on wood) but I love the look of an LC more. I personally went with an LX because of the price and condition difference. Every LC I found in my area was either super high mileage or already an offroad toy. I found a few LX's that were basically grocery getters their whole life which is another factor to consider

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom