New Member Intro - Ben (1998 LX470) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings! Thanks for all the topics and great discussions. I've been doing a bit of research on this site for a couple of my vehicles (the other is a 2013 Sequoia) and the forums are outstanding. I guess it's time to do an intro post.

I'm Ben, resident in Colorado and fairly new to the Land Cruiser vehicle. I have always been interested in them and almost got my first one in 2013, but opted for a Sequoia instead (don't judge, we needed the leg room in the 3rd row). I bought a 1998 LX470 at around 370k miles last year (great deal and I know the owner well). He was getting rid of it due to the starter having issues and he rarely drove the car. Thanks to this site, I replaced the starter and completed a few other updates to keep the vehicle running well. Despite the age and miles, mechanically it is very sound. I recently swapped out the old AHC system for a land cruiser suspension - good investment. We live in the Denver Colorado area and the vehicle is great for this area.

At the moment, I'm having an electrical issue and going through a bit of troubleshooting. I'm sure it'll get back on the road soon, but this one has me stumped at the moment.

Current electrical issue: Engine cranks but won't fire off. No codes being thrown. The EFI fuse was a bit charred, but in tack. I Replaced fuse, checked EFI Relay - Relay is good. When car is off, I get good voltage on load side of the relay. Thinking fuel pump - checked the plug at the fuel pump and wasn't getting good voltage at the pump). Hot wired the fuel pump to see if it'll run, and the fuel pump turned on. Tried to start the engine with the fuel pump running (through another power source) and the engine wouldn't fire up. So I went back to the fuse box - When I turn the car on, voltage appears to drop on the EFI Relay (put in a jumper to check voltage against ground). I unplugged the battery cable and checked resistance between the battery cable and the load side of the EFI relay and had minimum ohms (assuming line is in tack). I think I ruled out a short to grown on the line to the fuel pump, didn't see any other obvious signs of shorts or bad cables. So now, I'm considering replacing the fuse box - which is pretty hard to find (only one on ebay for ~$500). I don't like just replacing parts hoping it'll work, but I think I'm beyond my electrical troubleshooting capacity (I don't like electrical issues). I would welcome advise.

LX470.jpg

Hello and welcome. Yes, fuse boxes can be an issue on the early 100's. i dont have the answer, but it has been discussed many times on here, i would spend some time reading old threads to get a wealth of information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom