LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I agree, Dan's da man. Since you are new around here and need to order it like... today (to get to FL by Friday), I'll help you with C-dan's contact info. You should probably order 4 or more and anything else you might need.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17873

SamoL said:
I've checked at the local Toyota dealer and the local price for a SINGLE filter is $70! I guess this is because Lexus was not present in Slovenia (but it is going to be soon).
As my wife is currently in Florida (until Friday) - where coud I order filters to have them delivered to her hotel at a reasonable price?
We are going on our next Sahara trip in two weeks, and on our last one there was quite some dust in our car.

Regards

Samo

Samol

If you have ANY problem getting these to Florida by Friday, PM me ASAP and I will get you (as many as you need) for near-dealer cost by, lets say, Thurs at the latest.

Lee

calamaridog said:
I ordered a bunch of filters from this place:

http://www.densoproducts.com/

No problem with the delivery. Hopefully, they will ship outside of the U.S.

They certainly do. I was ordered cabin filter and pair of wiper blades, and they had fair prices and quick delivery.

ELLTEE said:
Rugster - Got any promotional discount codes for Denso?

LT
I just ordered from Denso and they quoted 25.18

Cheap Cabin filter mod

In prep for the Death Valley trip and to avoid those dusty drives, I installed a home made cabin filter in the empty hole on the Toyota 100 Series.

Cost:

20" x 30" x 1" Furnace HEPA filter (Home Depot) = $16 Can be used for multiple installs :cool:

Time = about 5 min to remove glovebox, another 10 to cut and install the filter and another 5 to reinstall glovebox. Approx 20 min.

I measured a Lexus filter and cut it to match. I cut the bottom filter 11-5/8" long by 5-1/4" tall. Leave the cardboard on the bottom and back (back of truck) if applicable. You will need to cut a 1.5" x 1.5" notch out of the bottom back corner for clearance.

The top filter can be 11-5/8" long by 5-1/4" tall (less if it is difficult to fit) No notches required int he top filter.

Also make sure you get the air flow direction right. It should clarify on the filter.

So far so good, air blows very hard on high so there is essentially no restriction I am missing.

Should be a clean ride! :grinpimp:

Sounds very good, rockclmbr.
Just installed the OEM filters (after 4 years without), but disappointed at the performance. Had imagined they would filter out more exhaust fumes etc. Anyhow, the OEM filters look like plain large-surface dust filters.

Do you have more info on the Furnace HEPA filter you got from the Home Depot? Did a search on their site but coudn't find anything matching. There is no Home Depot around here, so any info would help.

Pix?

uHu said:
Just installed the OEM filters (after 4 years without), but disappointed at the performance. Had imagined they would filter out more exhaust fumes etc.

To remove exhaust fumes, I keep searching for an activated charcoal (carbon) cabin filter to fit the LC/LX but can't locate one. Bosch and other companies offer them but not for the LC/LX. http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Filters/CabinFilters/?action=charcoal
Since carbon filters are old technology, you'd think one would be available for every high end vehcile.

cabin air filters

I ordered the cabin air filters from Denso. I initially had a little trouble getting the bottom one in far enough. A look with a flash light told the tale. A batch of pine needles had gotten into the filter chamber Fished them out and the filters fit great. :banana:
99, OME, ARB with winch up front kaymar on the rear.

Do you have more info on the Furnace HEPA filter you got from the Home Depot? Did a search on their site but coudn't find anything matching. There is no Home Depot around here, so any info would help.

So I did a search for the Home Depot HEPA filter and this is what came up:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/basicnbc/newhepafiltersf.htm

Kinda funny site some paranoid schitzo published about trying to filter out BIRD FLU!:censor:

Anyways, the filter I have is the 3M one. You can find more about them on this site (unrelated to anthrax and bird flu:D )
http://filtermarket.com/

I just replaced the filters on my LX. I got the part from Lexus and it has Toyota numbers; made by Denso. The instructions on this thread made the job a breeze. Thanks.

Finally got around to checking / replacing the filters on my '99 LX. WOW! Were they D I R T Y!!! Take a look at one of them in comparison to a new one.......'spect those have been in there since they left Japan, huh?
99 LX cabin filter comparison.JPG

That's wild. When I replaced mine, they looked nearly new.

Wow, mine looked fairly decent when I replaced it. Perhaps that is your original filter. Do you notice any improvement in your climate control system now that you have a new filter?

When I changed the cabin filter in my previous car, there was the same black to white difference after only a year's use. I guess it depends a lot on the driving conditions, especially if you use it a lot in city traffic or any other high air pollution environment. Elsewhere it is more likely to get clogged by dust, sand, pollen etc. than by black exhaust and smoke particles.

I'm a bit disappointed. These filters are worthless, as they don't seal well. When I cleaned up the car after my last trip, I was surprised as there was sand coming out of the ventilation.
Today I took the filters out. There was dust everywhere.

My opinion is: if you are satisfied with their performance, you don't really need them :)
And: if the engine filter would be so poorly constructed, Toyota wouldn't be famous for its reliability.

Regards
Samo

I'm a bit disappointed. These filters are worthless, as they don't seal well. When I cleaned up the car after my last trip, I was surprised as there was sand coming out of the ventilation.
Today I took the filters out. There was dust everywhere.

My opinion is: if you are satisfied with their performance, you don't really need them :)
And: if the engine filter would be so poorly constructed, Toyota wouldn't be famous for its reliability.

Regards
Samo

Driving my 100 in the dusty clime of Nevada results in lots of dust in the air ducts also...even though I run the cabin air filters. Either there is bypass/poor seal or the filter only grabs the big chunks ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom