LX450 Shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had OME and now Edelbrock. Edelbrock is better is you do more highway driving.....and towing. Excellent shocks.

Has anyone tried the Tokico Trekmasters?

As I've mentioned before, I prefer Koni stuff... I have a set of custom 8241 series installed on the runner, 2.25", twin tube, nitrogen gas, 5 external rebound adjustments get everything dialed in just right. Koni produces a 8240 series for the rest of the world 80 series... They need to be compressed for adjustment.

If any of you get the OME's can I talk you outta your OEMs- I could use them for my 4runner. :D

Question on teh Edelbrock
-same mounting as oem or OME?
-anyone has any comp/ext info?
-what did you pay for them and from where?

Thanks.

Mr.176,

Same mounting.

Don't know. Explore Edelbrock's website. Info might be there. I do know that the same shock fits stock and up to 3" lift for an 80. Different shock for the 100.

About 70 bucks each from an internet parts place. before you place an internet order, I recommend that you call Edelbrock to see if the seller is an Edelbrock distributor.

Ed

surfrunner,
Brand new OEM shocks are less than $25 each. I think the Smart Shopper price is even better.
-B-

So anyway, I guess those OEM shocks were worn out from.....mall cruising?? Not too be too much of a turd on this, but the stock LC shocks are among the very best out there in terms of durability. Toyota does not mess around with suspension parts on their top of the line offroad beast, and Tokico has to work very hard to remain the shock supplier for LandCruiser - a plum contract.

DougM

Let's get this thread on topic as I am very interested in the " best" shock for washboard and highway use. I think we can agree that he was misinformed about the oem shocks being worn out after 20,000 miles. Are there any more opinions as to what the "best" shock is for theses conditions?

Christo, I see you had some input here concerning the OME shock,very imformative, as I'm sure many of us (well, at least me ) were not aware of this abillity with the Ome. Do you have any experience with the Edelbrock shock?

Thnx, Vince

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=8450;start=msg73714#msg73714 date=1071034260]
So anyway, I guess those OEM shocks were worn out from.....mall cruising?? Not too be too much of a turd on this, but the stock LC shocks are among the very best out there in terms of durability. Toyota does not mess around with suspension parts on their top of the line offroad beast, and Tokico has to work very hard to remain the shock supplier for LandCruiser - a plum contract.

DougM

[/quote]

Doug, my experience with OEM shocks. At around 40K miles the right front shock was leaking and so was the left rear shock (that's on a LC that is used 95% of the time as a Mall cruiser). I replaced with Monroes and ran them for 80K miles and they started to leak and the bushings fell apart. I now have OME's on and I like the ride. Real quality shocks. On other vehicles (2 different Dodge Cummins turbo diesel 3500 4x4) I've alway upgraded to Bilsteins and loved them (The Bilsteins were the shock of choice over the Rancho 9000's by a majority of the 3/4 and 1 ton truck owners on the Turbo diesel registry) but on the LC I was told that the OME's were made just for the LC so that is why I picked them. My springs are still original but I never carry much in the LC and I don't even keep the 3rd row seats in the truck. My ride and handling with the OME shocks seems better than new, but "new" was a long time ago so I might of forgotten what that felt like. ;)

[quote author=97cruiser link=board=2;threadid=8450;start=msg73798#msg73798 date=1071063765]
Let's get this thread on topic as I am very interested in the " best" shock for washboard and highway use. I
Thnx, Vince
[/quote]

Like my previous posted stated, i've run OEM, Monroe, and now OME. It still rides like a truck, but I would say the OME's provides the "tighter" "better handling" "more responsive" ride and that is what I like. None of them felt like my old Lexus LS400.

Pitbull, How do you like the OME's on washboard? Do you feel they keep the tires on the ground a lil bit better than the other shocks you have experience with?

Thnx, Vince

[quote author=97cruiser link=board=2;threadid=8450;start=msg73854#msg73854 date=1071069608]
Pitbull, How do you like the OME's on washboard? Do you feel they keep the tires on the ground a lil bit better than the other shocks you have experience with?

Thnx, Vince
[/quote]

Vince I never noticed a problem on washboard roads with any of the shocks I've used on the LC. Except the Monroes when the bushings fell apart :) I really do like the OME, real quality and the last I will ever have to buy. They don't have the cheap rubber bushings that the OEM's and Monroes come with.

Thnx Pitbull, I believe I still have the original shocks on my rig and they could do better on the washboard. Don't get me wrong, the cruiser is the best rig I have had experience with on washboard especially when goin uphill around a corner. Most rigs will jump all over and have a hard time getting traction, but the cruiser with its fulltime 4wheel-drive just grabs and goes. Another item worth mentioning is that my rig has a very slight but noticeable lean to the left when sitting on flat ground. Dead shock or spring I presume?

Thnx, Vince

Geez, Honestly never thought about that. 6'2 200. Think that would make it lean?

I've seen 1 ton 4x4 diesels with guys that weigh in at 250+ that after a few years their trucks lean a little. I don't think you will find too many trucks that when measured from the ground to the fender well are even. They are all off 1/4 to 1/2" or even a little more. Since I have not seen your truck, I can't tell you if it is more than normal. I would just look at some other 80's in your area and see if they look about the same. You could also measure your truck to see what the difference is and post what your truck measures and see if we are about the same. We did that on the Turbo diesel registry and we were all over the place.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=8450;start=msg71889#msg71889 date=1070667183]
Low lift springs (OME 861/862) and replacement Edelbrocks will get you exactly what you are asking for...

A better stance, and the best ride you can get. I ran this essential setup for almost a year and upgraded only for better height and more capability.

That is my experience.

[/quote]

I have to agree with Rogue on this. The Edelbrock shocks are sweet. I ran set on an F250 Superduty for a few years and loved 'em. Combine them with the right springs for the load you carry and the height that you're looking for (OME 861/862) and you'd be set.
:beer:

Hi Guys,
Well I changed out the old stock shocks from my 97 LX yesterday with 83K miles. The new ones are OEM Toyota Landcruiser shocks. I noticed a strange thing when comparing the front shocks side by side. The new LC shocks were 2-1/2" longer then the LX shocks out of the box. Compressed length, they were exactly the same. BUT if I pulled on the old LX shock it would extend to the same length as the LC shock and go back to the shorter length when released. Weird.
Bob

Reviving an old thread here...
I'm looking at replacing the worn out OEM suspension in my LX450 and I expect to only be doing light off-roading rarely. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading and I've had a hard time finding a clear answer to what I'm looking for: the best possible highway and city stability and ride comfort (daily driver). Would you guys recommend the OME stock-height kit for this or would I be better off going with new OEM springs/shocks? Or is there an alternative kit that would be recommended for this?

I live in Houston, Texas and my biggest daily concern here is prius-swallowing potholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom