LX alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So 1600 miles ago I got the new wheels and tires installed on the 2018 LX. This was at a different toyota dealer than my local as we were on vacation. Anyway, we take the LX to the local Toyota dealer today for an oil change and the first thing they want to do is an alignment. They're usually pretty good about not trying to get us to do something that doesn't need to be done. They've worked on our 2015 cruiser with no complaints in the past. The other dealer that installed the wheels didn't say anything about the alignment being out of whack and the vehicle is driving fine. I told them to pound sand.

My question is, we're they telling me it was out of alignment possibly because it was in the low suspension mode? They said the Toe was in the red on the right front wheel.

I've noticed many dealers now have alignment scanners right where you pull up for service, that'll let them know if a vehicle is in need of alignment.

If your LX was in low - yes, that would definitely throw the alignment off. Then again, it's not meant as a driving position, so any recommendation based on that is flawed. Cruisers in general are robust and hold their alignment well. Even against hard off-roading. The LX AHC suspension in particular doesn't sag so doesn't take a set that may require touchup alignment. New wheels and tires do not effect alignment. I went to 35s and never needed an alignment. It wasn't until I did a 1" sensor lift, that then warranted alignment.

Depending on how many miles you have on your 2018 (over 75k?), checking alignment may not be bad?

That's exacly what they have is one of those pull up alignment scanners right when they bring it in. Just hit 30,000 miles so I think they are confused by the AHC.

They are not confused, they are compensated for up selling services.

Take it to a proper mechanic or truck outfitter. They wont do the alignment correctly anyway.
I guarantee you nobody there has ever touched an LC/LX camber bolt.

Cruisers in general are robust and hold their alignment well. Even against hard off-roading.

IF they go to the factory torque spec. Sadly I have had piss-poor luck trusting dealers of all brands to do this correctly, and I now accept that even if I specifically ask, I'll have to drive it gently on the way home then get under the truck to check. As a well-regarded alignment shop in town replied when I said what I wanted them set to (factory).. "wow. That's a lot of torque." Shops doing it by feel just aren't use to the feel of these trucks.

Take it to a proper mechanic or truck outfitter. They wont do the alignment correctly anyway.
I guarantee you nobody there has ever touched an LC/LX camber bolt.

They are the exact same as a tundra/sequoia camber bolt and I guarantee they have done hundreds of those.

For a stock vehicle a dealer is usually just fine getting things in range, as long as they actually tighten things. If you want someone to truly fine-tune the ride and actually understand how all of the measurements impact vehicle handling, yeah, find an expert.

nearest one is 4 hours away.

When I needed an alignment after lifting, I went to my local 4x4 shop (The 4X4 Center). They told me that they outsource all of their alignment work for lifts to a nearby shop and suggested that I just go direct. That second shop (The Twisted Wrench, for anyone in Vermont) did an amazing job - fast, friendly, and the work was spot on. I wonder if a 4x4 shop in your area would make a similar referral?

So 1600 miles ago I got the new wheels and tires installed on the 2018 LX. This was at a different toyota dealer than my local as we were on vacation. Anyway, we take the LX to the local Toyota dealer today for an oil change and the first thing they want to do is an alignment. They're usually pretty good about not trying to get us to do something that doesn't need to be done. They've worked on our 2015 cruiser with no complaints in the past. The other dealer that installed the wheels didn't say anything about the alignment being out of whack and the vehicle is driving fine. I told them to pound sand.

My question is, we're they telling me it was out of alignment possibly because it was in the low suspension mode? They said the Toe was in the red on the right front wheel.

Our 2019 LX570 needed an alignment at 15K miles. I noticed it was pulling slightly to the left but it wasn't enough to warrant the two hour drive to the dealer. When we had it in for service they verified the alignment being off and we had it done. I found it odd that the stock truck needed an alignment so quickly but who knows what kind of pot holes my wife might have hit with it lol. The LC is holding up just fine through the first 8K miles.

Our 2019 LX570 needed an alignment at 15K miles. I noticed it was pulling slightly to the left but it wasn't enough to warrant the two hour drive to the dealer. When we had it in for service they verified the alignment being off and we had it done. I found it odd that the stock truck needed an alignment so quickly but who knows what kind of pot holes my wife might have hit with it lol. The LC is holding up just fine through the first 8K miles.
Do you know if they did the alignment while the suspension was in normal mode?
Next time I take it in, I will leave the entry/exit assist off and see what their machine says.

Do you know if they did the alignment while the suspension was in normal mode?
Next time I take it in, I will leave the entry/exit assist off and see what their machine says.

To be honest with you I don't remember, it was last summer and we have since traded the LX in for a LC. I imagine it was in Normal height because I rarely used the low entry setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom