LX 470 leather seat replacements (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Everyone.

When I purchased my 100 a few years ago there was not many options to choose from and any leather option was about a grand or more before install, which is also very important. Im an avid diyer and eventually found a front two rows of oak leather on eBay for 499. When it came, it was roadwire. the leather is very soft.

I installed the leather myself and although the cuts are not exact, perhaps it was for lx? (unlabeled) vs me having an lc, it turned out amazing. Im not actually sure of this material in the end a year and a half later in that it still looks amazing but I've never been sure whether its leather. BUT and a big but, there are so many types of leathers with and without coatings that it can be very hard to tell. That means they are nice quality.

Personally this most recent option presented looks like the best so far and like many, I have researched for years. These have the ruffles.

What would be AMAZING for real is if, that instead of the stock look, we do a group buy on a custom pattern, like quilted with contrast stitching. The labor of first time diy is very time consuming and laborious, not hard and very satisfying. I just purchased another truck and will want to do the leather, id love custom group buy because honestly, its not stock anyway, for that argument or crowd.

only pic I have for some reason and don't have access for more pics at the moment, kinda gave away with the ex, hence the new ride;) I can get pics, just not right now. This is before putting in headrests or shrinking and final beatings..if you know what I mean. I went all out with full steams of all foam, replacing and building with foam (learned positives and negatives of that). this was the first leather seat I've ever done and probably took eight hours with the headrest and armrest. Each other seat took about four hours or so at a mellow pace. Measure twice!!

Gary

IMG_0414.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.

When I purchased my 100 a few years ago there was not many options to choose from and any leather option was about a grand or more before install, which is also very important. Im an avid diyer and eventually found a front two rows of oak leather on eBay for 499. When it came, it was roadwire. the leather is very soft.

I installed the leather myself and although the cuts are not exact, perhaps it was for lx? (unlabeled) vs me having an lc, it turned out amazing. Im not actually sure of this material in the end a year and a half later in that it still looks amazing but I've never been sure whether its leather. BUT and a big but, there are so many types of leathers with and without coatings that it can be very hard to tell. That means they are nice quality.

Personally this most recent option presented looks like the best so far and like many, I have researched for years. These have the ruffles.

What would be AMAZING for real is if, that instead of the stock look, we do a group buy on a custom pattern, like quilted with contrast stitching. The labor of first time diy is very time consuming and laborious, not hard and very satisfying. I just purchased another truck and will want to do the leather, id love custom group buy because honestly, its not stock anyway, for that argument or crowd.

only pic I have for some reason and don't have access for more pics at the moment, kinda gave away with the ex, hence the new ride;) I can get pics, just not right now. This is before putting in headrests or shrinking and final beatings..if you know what I mean. I went all out with full steams of all foam, replacing and building with foam (learned positives and negatives of that). this was the first leather seat I've ever done and probably took eight hours with the headrest and armrest. Each other seat took about four hours or so at a mellow pace. Measure twice!!

Gary

View attachment 2401803
Great post and encouragement to DIY. I wish I would have now. The ruffles are optional and you have the choice of LC or LX patterns with ridies. I think you can get different color stitching, inserts and even upgraded leather to the fancy stuff (forgot the name). Your pic is definitely a LC seat. The bottom pattern is different than a LX. Here is mine from @Ridies.

20200620_201108.jpg

Great post and encouragement to DIY. I wish I would have now. The ruffles are optional and you have the choice of LC or LX patterns with ridies. I think you can get different color stitching, inserts and even upgraded leather to the fancy stuff (forgot the name). Your pic is definitely a LC seat. The bottom pattern is different than a LX. Here is mine from @Ridies.

View attachment 2402473

so we just pm him or is there a company site?

I messaged him on Facebook and got a super fast response. They have great communication and customer service.
Thanks, do you remember the shop in la you used, your seats came out so good i want the same.

I’m having some trouble identifying the difference between the LX and the LC versions of seats. Can anyone point me to a reference?

Pretty sure they call it tan. Factory calls it ivory.
Checking their swatches here—tan looks too dark. They do have an ivory that looks like it could be it though. I'll reach out to the vendor and see if they know...

Checking their swatches here—tan looks too dark. They do have an ivory that looks like it could be it though. I'll reach out to the vendor and see if they know...
Ivory. Was definitely light tan that I got. I got the swatches to be sure to get a match. Light tan is really close.

Did this group buy thing happen?

Pro tips from my try. You mileage may vary. (So appropriate)

Get both strait and bent hog ring pliers. The better they are, the easier it will be.

Get the proper rings. I’m sorry I don’t remember what I got. Consider you don’t want Anything that can corrode as they could touch the leather. Also make sure to get the correct size so when closed they are not too big but when open they can easily grab the anchor wire in the foam

Your new leather will likely attach slightly differently. For more metal for the leather I used the strait part of a coated coat hanger.

You will have to cut the leather. Be careful.

You will have to disassemble the top and bottom, It will be evident but you just want to release the boltS on each side that will allow the top to release it kind of locks in but you don’t need any tools other than regular wrenches

Get spray glue for the ripped foam. The best was the orange can.i got extra foam from a foam store, house of foam, a friends dads place.

The best tip is the steamer for the foam. Spend time with this and it’s amazing to see the foam expand and become plush like new.

Be carful steaming the leather. It’s tougher than you think but also can be damaged.

Watch some videos. It’s very rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom