LX 470 headlamp removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The clips themselves are built into the fiberglass valence piece. They snap into a hard rubber or plastic "cup" that is replaceable, but the clips themselves are not due to being part of the fiberglass part itself. If you break them, you'll need a new valence or to glue it back together depending on how it shears.

For what it's worth, it took a REDICULOUSLY hard bit of pulling on mine to remove it after 20 years in place. Got the center valence out okay, but broke both headlight fiberglass trim bits which use the same damn clips. Had to glue them back together and now have come crack lines as a memory of my project.

Sprayed some WD-40 on the clips before reinserting in hopes of making any future ordeals at least a smidge easier.

Thanks for the response - did you break the headlight trim pieces when removing the front valence, or when removing them after the front valence was off? The reason I ask is I am just as (if not more) concerned I will break the tabs on the headlight trim pieces it appears the front valence partially connects to.

They do have some overlap, but the breaking came after the valence was off and I was removing the headlight trim pieces themselves.

I ran into something that wasn't pictured that I figured I'd post here for others. It's some sort of wind deflector is my best guess. Maybe somebody else knows. Essentially, you have to pull it back in order to reach the lower headlamp housing bolt 6mm with 10mm hex head. I haven't put my lights back together yet, but I'm pretty sure you can put your lights back together by pulling that thing back to put the bolt back in, but that's to be determined.

I have an 07 LX 470 in case that's relevant.

Driver Side:
full

Passenger Side:
full

My 99 LX doesn't seem to have those....Maybe it was for the newer models?

Just replaced my driver headlight housing today with one from a junkyard. Looks so much better without a cracked high beam housing! Got some some serious PTSD though when i realized I had to take the corner light off ( I popped the lens cover off last time), but I did that last and it was much easier without the headlight divider in the way. Thanks for the write-up!
PXL_20210122_022011096.jpg
-1468387092990638617.jpg

Last edited:
Just had the pleasure of doing this so i thought I'd share a couple things i would've done differently for when i'll probably have to do it again. Might find it useful:

• Once you have the middle trim piece out, do one side at a time
  • Take out the side marker housing before prying off the fragile corner trim pieces
  • After that, take a trim tool or small pry bar and work out the corner of the trim closest to the edge of the car
  • You now should be able to get the other side toward the middle of the vehicle a gentle pull, then work something back and pry it off as well
  • For my own notes when i search this: be careful of the driver side it's hanging on by a thread

Any tips for removing the divider panel beneath the headlights? Wondering if I should use two trim removing tools, one over each clip? Or if there's a better way?

I broke my headlight trim when trying to pop out the clips. It was very brittle and didn't take much to cause it to break. What is the best source for replacement trim? Can you get it already painted to match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom