LX 470 headlamp removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Remove clip from top tab of headlamp housing.

Unscrew corner lamp from top tab. Corner lamp is also held in on bottom by a clip that slides into a slot in headlamp lower. Use a long flathead screwdriver to disengage clip by pushing sideways (outboard IIRC). Photos show clip from top view and from underneath. Slide out corner lamp.

IMG_7750.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7770.JPG

IMG_7759.JPG

Last edited:
Remove center valence fasteners, pull valence forward to disengage clips.

Unscrew hood seal from top of headlamp housing. Center screw also secures divider panel.

The second attachment of divider panel is a screw located on inside of headlamp housing.

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

IMG_7751.JPG

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

Last edited:
Remove remaining screw securing inboard end of divider panel to lower support.

Remove divider panel carefully by disengaging two clips. Don't bend it, it's brittle.

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7760.JPG

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

Last edited:
A very nice write up indeed!

Great write up. Replaced my Passenger side headlamp assembly and the marker light today and used these instructions to assist.

Thanks

I ran into something that wasn't pictured that I figured I'd post here for others. It's some sort of wind deflector is my best guess. Maybe somebody else knows. Essentially, you have to pull it back in order to reach the lower headlamp housing bolt 6mm with 10mm hex head. I haven't put my lights back together yet, but I'm pretty sure you can put your lights back together by pulling that thing back to put the bolt back in, but that's to be determined.

I have an 07 LX 470 in case that's relevant.

Driver Side:
full

Passenger Side:
full

Yes I overlooked this in my instructions, thank you for the addendum.

I recall the cover can be easily removed or at least rotated enough to access the hidden bolt by popping out a couple “christmas tree” type clips.

These are shields to direct cool air into radiator/condenser and prevent hot air from recirculating to front of radiator when vehicle is stationary with fan turning.
Be sure to reinstall them!

nice writeup.... have a quad set of HID on the way!! This will come in handy

Question - how do I remove this clip in the red circle? The first step of the writeup.
IMG_7747.jpg

Huh, my clips were different and I suspect they were replaced by PO with ill-fitting ones.
First I’d try pushing the center pin downward which may disengage the claws holding it from underneath.
If it’s not that type, take two flathead screwdrivers and carefully pry the head up from opposite sides.
Good luck... maybe there’s something in service manual?

Remove center valence fasteners, pull valence forward to disengage clips.

View attachment 1534264

View attachment 1534265

View attachment 1534267

I need help. I have remove the center valence fasteners and have tried to pull the valence "forward to disengage the clips." But it seems like no matter how hard I pull, the center valence is not coming out.

How much strength is required? I have already tried at least 50 lbs of pressure to pull it out but it is not budging. I am worried if I pull harder, I will break something.
Any tips?

I need help. I have remove the center valence fasteners and have tried to pull the valence "forward to disengage the clips." But it seems like no matter how hard I pull, the center valence is not coming out.

How much strength is required? I have already tried at least 50 lbs of pressure to pull it out but it is not budging. I am worried if I pull harder, I will break something.
Any tips?

Can you see and/or access the backside of the yellow clips? If so you can try using a punch or screwdriver to push directly on the clips rather than on the plastic valence. Can you slip a trim removal tool under the top lip to press directly on the clip? Maybe shoot some WD40 on the backside of the clips to loosen them up and help slide out. Make sure your work environment is somewhat warm so the plastic isn't as brittle. Keep working at it!

Any tips?
I am having this same issue... Tried all the normal stuff such as lubricant, etc. My truck is on jack stands and I'm not kidding, I'm yanking so hard the entire truck is shaking on the stands (not shifting, I'm not an idiot, but shaking... Im pulling HARD).

Anyone know if these clips are replaceable? Maybe I can cut them out.

Anyone know if these clips are replaceable? Maybe I can cut them out.

The clips themselves are built into the fiberglass valence piece. They snap into a hard rubber or plastic "cup" that is replaceable, but the clips themselves are not due to being part of the fiberglass part itself. If you break them, you'll need a new valence or to glue it back together depending on how it shears.

For what it's worth, it took a REDICULOUSLY hard bit of pulling on mine to remove it after 20 years in place. Got the center valence out okay, but broke both headlight fiberglass trim bits which use the same damn clips. Had to glue them back together and now have come crack lines as a memory of my project.

Sprayed some WD-40 on the clips before reinserting in hopes of making any future ordeals at least a smidge easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom