LTX m/s or BFG AT KO2 for drivability and mpg? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I just ordered what I thought were Michelin LTX m/s2 tires from Discount tire in the stock size - 275/70R16. Turns out, they actually ordered the original LTX M/S tire and have told me that the M/S2 is not available in stock size. Bummer. I had thoroughly reviewed the M/S2 and wanted that tire.

They have told me that the other best tire option that they can get would be the BFG AT KO2 - which i know is quite popular here, but is much more aggressive. From reading reviews it appears to be a very good all terrain tire with good comfort and noise levels for highway driving. They can do this tire at the same price $800 for 4 tires installed and out the door.

This truck will be driven 90% on city/highway with many long road trips. Sometimes to the mountains, where i may hit some gravel/dirt roads and would like to possibly do a little offroad exploring at some point in the future, but have little experience off roading. No interest in rock crawling or technical stuff, mostly just old jeep trails and such.

My questions are for those who have run either or both of these tires:

Will the BFG cause a drop in fuel efficiency on highway driving? If so, how much? Will it still handle and drive similarly to the Michelin or will it be noticeably worse on pavement? I'm assuming I will have to trade some on-road mpg and manners for improved snow/ice/general off road traction?

Would the older LTX M/S be able to handle the light off road trails, small amounts of mud, snow and ice while performing better on the highway?

Thanks!!

The KO2's are just as quiet as the other set of highway tires I did have on mine when I got it. They are also reviewed by many different places as the best all around tire on the market. I can't vouch for MPG's, and mine are larger than stock, so handling is going to be different, but I am pretty sure you won't be disappointed in them. Plus they look badass!

Hi Aphil- I have a 2000 TLC as well and recently purchased a new set of Defender LTX's in 265/75/r16.

The Defender LTX is the replacement for the M/S2 and it is an awesome tire- I'm not sure it is possible to love a tire more than I love these tires. Super quiet, very comfortable ride and low rolling resistance. I went with one size up from stock which is 31.6" in diameter, 1" over 265/70/16. I think they fill the wheel wells out a little better than stock and I am very happy with that size choice.

I too looked into the KO2's and had to have a reality check before I backed away from that choice. After coming to terms with the fact that I am mostly going to be on paved roads I just couldn't justify the loss in MPG and ride quality (although the consensus is the KO2's are excellent for an AT tire when it comes to road noise and comfort).

To give you an idea, the KO2's in the same size (265/75/r16) are 13lbs heavier per tire and are "E" rated which will yield a considerably firmer ride.

Anyway- my $.02.

Good luck!

-Jon

I have the LTX MS2 on stock 18's and they have been awesome over the past 3 years. Very quiet with great road manners and also good in the snow. They come in 265 and 285/75R16 which will fit your rig. I'd go with 285.

Michelin LTX M/S2

Given only the choice of the original LTX M/S or the KO2, I'd go with the KO2.

That said, I have the LTX M/S2 on my LC and I bought a set of LTX Defenders when my wife's Acadia needed tires. Like the others, I'm really happy with the tire and it does a lot of things well. Maybe consider a different size in order to get the tire you want? They're so damn expensive, when you compromise, you're stuck with the decision for years.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. Yes I was sold on the Defender LTX or the MS2, but neither tire are offered in the stock tire size. I've tried slightly larger tires on a 4Runner in the past which increase body roll on the truck and wife wouldn't drive it because she said it felt unstable. Wife will drive the 100 quite a bit and don't want to risk making it even slightly more unstable and making her nervous again.

I know the MS2 or Defender LTX is a better tire for my driving compared to the KO2, but seeing that the MS2 and Defender were a big step up from the original LTX, i'm not sure which one to go with now. I'm not sure if the original LTX is really even any better than the K02 on the highway. Tire Rack reviews show the KO2 being better in nearly every category...

Thanks guys. Yes I was sold on the Defender LTX or the MS2, but neither tire are offered in the stock tire size. I've tried slightly larger tires on a 4Runner in the past which increase body roll on the truck and wife wouldn't drive it because she said it felt unstable. Wife will drive the 100 quite a bit and don't want to risk making it even slightly more unstable and making her nervous again.

I know the MS2 or Defender LTX is a better tire for my driving compared to the KO2, but seeing that the MS2 and Defender were a big step up from the original LTX, i'm not sure which one to go with now. I'm not sure if the original LTX is really even any better than the K02 on the highway. Tire Rack reviews show the KO2 being better in nearly every category...
Defender is definitely available in the stock size:

Michelin Defender LTX M/S

"Compared to the popular Michelin LTX M/S2 it replaces, the new Defender LTX M/S tires share the same highly functional tread pattern, and offer improvements in wear life/longevity to better meet the high-torque demands of modern trucks. Defender LTX M/S is designed to be stronger, longer."

I've called Discount tire who has told me that the 275/70R16 is not yet available. Set to be released at some point in 2016. I've called and confirmed with Michelin, and they said it's currently in production but they can not provide any estimate to the time it will be available. Unfortunately I need tires now, as the current ones are almost 10 years old and badly cracked. :-(

I've called Discount tire who has told me that the 275/70R16 is not yet available. Set to be released at some point in 2016. I've called and confirmed with Michelin, and they said it's currently in production but they can not provide any estimate to the time it will be available. Unfortunately I need tires now, as the current ones are almost 10 years old and badly cracked. :-(
Ahhh I see. Well for what its worth Tire Rack lists them as being in stock- might be worth calling them to confirm.

I went back and forth between LTX vs KO2, both available in 285 75 16. I ended up with 265/75R16 KO2 because:
1. 265 is a little lighter than 285, and a little cheaper (I replaced all 5 tires). It is a little taller than stock size.
2. I wanted to be able to do some over landing trips, and do not the tires to limit where I can go. 99% of time the LC will be on pavement - my wife dd. So far my wife is happy with the tires (very important she is happy haha)
3. Like a lot of people say, KO2 looks really bad ass - I know I should not decide based on looks, but I think the LC just look so good with this tire.
4. I can feel the extra weight of the tires when they first got swapped out, but it was small difference. I do have new OEM shocks, new suspension and steering bushings, so everything is new and tight. I do not feel the extra weight anymore.

I had LTX MS and MS2 on our previous car (Sequoia) and love them. They last very long, and very smooth on pavement until the thread is gone. KO2 is a new model so it is unknown if it would last as long as the LTX and stay quiet and smooth to the end of the thread. Only time will tell - I probably have about 3K miles right now and been very happy with my set. I am not impressed that these takes a lot of weight to balance them though. The LTX did not take much weight to balance.

Hope this helps.
Chris

I have always felt that Michelin's are the best tires you can have... With that said I just replaced a set of ko's with the ko2's and love them. Quieter than the KO's, ride great and look great. You can see the pics here

What have you done to your 100 Series this week?
post number 7177 near the bottom....

Well... called Tire Rack and even their rep was a bit confused on the defenders. He first said they were available, but then turned out they are only available for pre-order with no estimate to when they would actually be shipped out. He said it could be 2 weeks or 6 months. That won't work.

I'm really leaning toward just sticking with the original M/S - seems I will probably get slightly better mpg with these as well as slightly better highway manners. Hopefully they will handle the snow and ice we get here as well as a bit of dirt and gravel road use.

Plus, I like the fact that these have been around a long time and still have a great reputation for performance and longevity.

Thanks for the help!

I am not impressed that these takes a lot of weight to balance them though. The LTX did not take much weight to balance. Chris[/QUOTE said:
I have the 285/65 r18's but found they did not need a lot of weights. Have you tried a force balance on them? That may help I have done that several times and helped...

For the kind of driving/use you've mentioned so far, you'd be very happy with the Defender LTX in the 265/75-16. They are in stock at the Tire Rack and would be a great tire.

I have the 285/65 r18's but found they did not need a lot of weights. Have you tried a force balance on them? That may help I have done that several times and helped...

@costalcat This is using force balance. I dunno how much weight exactly, but there are a stack of them inside the wheel (I asked them to use the stick on type).

@costalcat This is using force balance. I dunno how much weight exactly, but there are a stack of them inside the wheel (I asked them to use the stick on type).

Huummmm maybe it is the extra sidewalls given your running 16 vs my 18's I just checked to see how many weights I had and it is very few...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom