ls1 vs supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow what a response.
i should be able to pick up a 285kw ls1 and auto with looms and ecu's for $6000 max.

spoke to capa about their supercharger $6990 gives me supercharger fmu and fuel pump 225kw tuner kit is $700

spend vs output makes ls1 look good to me and i would have the option to supercharger that later and get 400kw's :)

even with the ls1 in i would be 120 kw's better off and have a modern engine with plenty of tuning options and cheaper parts.

fab work does not worry me i have had plenty of experience

i'm definintly keeping car for the long haul, just looking for better fuel economy, and more power.

SOOOO.... after 3 days of this nonsense ..You answered your own question??

wow what a response.
i should be able to pick up a 285kw ls1 and auto with looms and ecu's for $6000 max.

spoke to capa about their supercharger $6990 gives me supercharger fmu and fuel pump 225kw tuner kit is $700

spend vs output makes ls1 look good to me and i would have the option to supercharger that later and get 400kw's :)

even with the ls1 in i would be 120 kw's better off and have a modern engine with plenty of tuning options and cheaper parts.

fab work does not worry me i have had plenty of experience

i'm definintly keeping car for the long haul, just looking for better fuel economy, and more power.

Plus the conversion kit
plus the altered wiring harness
plus the new cross member and new drive shaft lengths
plus the new radiator/thermals fans
plus electrical to get all the gauges working

Ive had both supercharged FZE and a LS1. Id definately go the LS1. But if its cost you want super is cheaper.

Man 6k for an LS1 motor, trans and wiring ouch... For that kind of money I would buy one of the new 6.2L that are 400hp out of the truck. Are the LSx motors hard to get a hold of where you live??

Yep, we get ripped off bigtime down here. 6k is cheap as. ARB air lockers supply only $1280, the USA $870. Its so much cheaper for me to buy from the USA including shipping for a product made just down the road. Its all just greed.

thanks thebigboy i did not realise tailshaft mods where required, is there any way of getting a ls# to talk to my a442f?
that would save a lot of stuffing around my auto was rebuilt by kewish autos last year with modified valve body and is meant to be capable of handling 300kw's

Yep, we get ripped off bigtime down here. 6k is cheap as. ARB air lockers supply only $1280, the USA $870. Its so much cheaper for me to buy from the USA including shipping for a product made just down the road. Its all just greed.

Did you really get ripped off though ? I bet you can go to the used car lot and buy a diesel powered 80 down there.

Plus the conversion kit
plus the altered wiring harness
plus the new cross member and new drive shaft lengths
plus the new radiator/thermals fans
plus electrical to get all the gauges working

Ive had both supercharged FZE and a LS1. Id definately go the LS1. But if its cost you want super is cheaper.

when I did my swap, I left the 80 series t-case in it's stock location and based the placement of the LS from that.

I did not touch my drive shafts. No new cross member. reused the stock radiator. Just to clarify, I am not running the A442 - I went to a 4L60e and used the marks adapter.

when I did my swap, I left the 80 series t-case in it's stock location and based the placement of the LS from that.

I did not touch my drive shafts. No new cross member. reused the stock radiator. Just to clarify, I am not running the A442 - I went to a 4L60e and used the marks adapter.

Interesting. How did your LS go lining up in the engine bay? Did you fab custom mounts?

thanks thebigboy i did not realise tailshaft mods where required, is there any way of getting a ls# to talk to my a442f?
that would save a lot of stuffing around my auto was rebuilt by kewish autos last year with modified valve body and is meant to be capable of handling 300kw's

Those that have used the factory auto all say it doesnt change gears very well at all. Even after controlling shift points ect. I would go the 4l60e myself.

rockrod i'd like to know more about your conversion like the sound of leaving the transfer case in its poition and using the original radiator as mine is only new

thebigboy spoke to a mate today he said the same thing run commodore auto just get it built and shift kitted

thanks for everyones feedback and veiws

Thats the benifit of retaining the stock tcase in the 80 vs going with an earlier split case (both have their benifits i.e part time) it lines up in stock position, reuses the dshafts. Thats how I justified the 1400 adapter from Marks. I bought my engine mounts from Dirty Dingo in Phx Az and they are fully adjustable, just had to add a fish plate to the frame and the motor was dead center. Pretty easy...

Interesting. How did your LS go lining up in the engine bay? Did you fab custom mounts?

i used universal weld in mounts from advanced adapters. The positioning of the weld in tabs was done by bolting the engine/trans/t-case together, sticking the whole thing in, and then bolting the t-case to the stock crossmember and then frame holes. Then i leveled it out and burned them in.

rockrod i'd like to know more about your conversion like the sound of leaving the transfer case in its poition and using the original radiator as mine is only new

thebigboy spoke to a mate today he said the same thing run commodore auto just get it built and shift kitted

thanks for everyones feedback and veiws

search for 5.3l and 4l60e swap - my rig is a '94.

I am not familiar with the australian versions of the GM product, but it sounds like the commodore is a mid sized holden car that probably uses a 4L60e. They can be built it to handle tons of power and the 3.06 first gear is great for wheeling.

Your can either dump money into an ancient inefficient cast iron anchor with overpriced parts to get a fair bit of power.

Or you can future proof your car by putting in an extremely popular series of engines that will leave you future proofed for decades, with no issue of parts availability, better mileage, comparable reliability, also overpriced parts, and that most of which can make 450+ hp almost as easily as staring at them.

the ls series, the gm v8 bellhousing pattern, gm transmissions, etc, aren't going anywhere.

Plus you trade in that lame l6 exhaust for a pushrod v8.

I guess its all relative. I bought a SC from CDan and installed it myself. 4 problem free years later, I still enjoy driving it. It gets a solid 15-17 mpg frwy and has more power than i need. My wifes n/a 1FZ is a dog, so i can see why people are wanting more power over stock, but 3-400 rwhp? Crazy imo. But then again im not a speed demon, that's why im able to get 17mpg on the frwy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom