ls1 vs supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to skip the Chebby and do one of these.

GenIII Mopar 426 Hemi. All aluminum, 540 horse. It comes with a computer, cable operated throttle body and a wiring harness. Put a Nag1 5 speed behind it with a stock transfercase.

I WANT BAD!

YEAH BRO!!

Have you done an LS swap in a cruiser?

installing an LS based motor in an 80 is actually quite easy.

remove the old junk engine and trans. cut off the toyota frame mounts, set the new motor in and burn in the new mounts.

done. The rest is just wiring and plumbing. The GM trans is significantly smaller (and far more efficient) than the stock Aisin, so you gain a good bit of room.

I will admit the frame rails are a little narrow to fit the power steering pump and a/c compressor, but there's plenty of room to fit a turbo or two.

the question is WHY? I can't see a turbo 6 cylinder motor being very tractable on a trail, nor sitting in traffic with the a/c on in downtown phoenix.
I've swapped a chevy small block stroked to 383cid into an Olds. It was relatively easy since they were both GM, but the costs still add up.

The Aisin tranny is large, but it is also very strong as is. It will take 650hp+ without mods. Maybe the newer GM trannys will do that but I know the ones made around the time these trucks were produced would not.

The 1FZFE is very streetable with the turbo. Even better manners and much more quiet actually. Off road is the same, just loads more power on tap. Better gas mileage cruising on the freeway as long as the skinny pedal gets to rest, but around town it drinks gas because, well you know, if the power is there its kinda boring to have to do much waiting around. I am anxious to do the new stall after the ported head is back on. That will be very handy off road not mention the total absence of any lag off the line.

Cost does play a huge role in this game of swaping and adding power adders and different motors. But where I make up for that is my ability to fabricate. I can reasonably fab up a single turbo kit for my 6L for under 1500 this doesnt include tuning and dyno time but thats what friends are for ;). Most of my money in my swap is from the trans/tcase adapter. Another turn off for me on the turbo 1FZ was the lack of better parts for the trans (ie shift kits, different TC's, programmers to adjust shift points, ect). We need to take a LSx Cruiser and turbo'd/SC Cruiser to the track and see who wins :steer:
It helps to be able to do your own fabbing for sure, but if you plan on doing a proper water to air IC that will work well off road and on the street you will sink more than 1500 assuming that you would use a rockin turbo.

I initially was bent on a small block swap, but over the years I've been convinced that a the 1FZFEs are built for forced induction from the factory and adding a turbo would be far easier for even more power with OEM style manners. These trannys are heavy duty bus trannys and can be tweaked fairly easily from what I've been learning more recently which is actually a relief when you are trying to do as much as possible on as little as possible. It's a matter of porting them out, without adding any new parts, once you start to creep over 650hp.

I had to turn my AC off when merging on the freeway because I would always have people up my azz... It sucked... I feel even worse for my buddy who has a 3FE in FJ80.. HAHA
I had my stock 1FZFE running pretty good with Landtank's MAF, headers and a custom collector emptying through a "streamlined" mandrel exhaust. It wasn't a weapon or anything but I could easily pull away from other stock Cruisers and I was on 35's with stock gears.

Now it's a totally different truck with the turbo and we never even had the chance to dial it up past 5.5psi, I was pulling away from newer V8 trucks with no sweat at all. Tundras, a Duramax, and a big Ford. I never had a chance to go up against any fast cars before I blew the HG, but I know there would have been some dirty drawers :D.

I have nothing bad to say about small block V8s, but from a typical cost perspective as well as ease of installation I am convinced that a turbo on the 1FZFE is the way to go.

I plan on finding a 1/8 mile track as soon as I get the new stall speed in. It would be cool if there was enough gear (and RPM) to do it in low range :eek:. Maybe we can meet close to El Paso for that ;). Afterwards we'll go wheelin...

Have another read... The next dyno run AFTER air restrictions where fixed and engine run in made 320. Patrols come from factory with part time kit.
I read that, but didn't see the chart. Was that 320 without the air filter? Was it 290 or 300rwhp with the air filter? If you dyno'd in part time than it also isn't apples to apples whp.

The second dyno sheet with 320 is floating around somewhere. Can't re dyno sold that truck ages ago. It is apples with apples as most people run a part time. Air was fixed - 290. Engine run in a retune - 320. This was its first dyno run. And factor air pod/filter coukdnt keep up, so i changed it. Have you ever driven a LS1 80 series? Or just Internet expert?

Last edited:
I see some guys throwing around figures in excess of 400hp. Exactly what are you wanting to use your cruiser for, drag racing or reliable off roading ?

That what it comes down to. 400+hp = ((tcase + birfields)/0)

The second dyno sheet with 320 is floating around somewhere. Can't re dyno sold that truck ages ago. It is apples with apples as most people run a part time. Air was fixed - 290. Engine run in a retune - 320. This was its first dyno run. And factor air pod/filter coukdnt keep up, so i changed it. Have you ever driven a LS1 80 series? Or just Internet expert?
Not sure what you are talking about. I am examining your numbers. Most people do not run part time in the US so it is a pertinent fact since the dyno information provided by US members will tend to be all wheel drive info which will appear lower than 2 wheeled drive info. The dyno sheet you showed had its top line as ran without an air filter. Since most people dyno with their airfilter that is a figure that is also not apples to apples. I'm not attacking you or trying to say that I am an Internet LS1 powered 80 series driving expert. Just trying to understand the numbers you are sharing and how they relate.

Your top 290 figure at the shown dyno sheet states no air filter so I assume that your 320 figure is also without an airfilter in 2 wheel drive.

Is your torque figure on that dyno sheet 180 ft lbs? That is really low.

Last edited:
I see some guys throwing around figures in excess of 400hp. Exactly what are you wanting to use your cruiser for, drag racing or reliable off roading ?
Unreliable offroading of course because it's fun to be able to have a fast off road capable street truck and Land Cruisers have proven time and time again that they can do it. I'm sorry for you if you somehow find that offensive?

That what it comes down to. 400+hp = ((tcase + birfields)/0)
There is always that potential. Experience tells us that more power means more broken components and especially with certain brands of vehicles. However, Land Crusiers have repeatedly demonstrated the ability of holding up to the abuse. I have yet hear about anyone making excessive power through their stock 80 series drivetrain experiencing failiure on the street. In fact, I think I have only heard of breakage off road and typically in hard core situations with tires that are closer to 40" than 35". That could change of course, but at present word is the drivetrain can handle well over 500whp.

Well here alot of people run part time kits to eliminate drive line problem vibrations and noise. As i said. That's not the final dyno. I don't have a final dyno copy scanned into computer. The stock small air pod wa restricting air. So it was removed and redyno'd. After that run I removed and enlarged all intake pipes and custom made a air box. So it had no restrictions = 290 you see there (with air pod). After then engine was run in, it got retuned and made 320 with 33's.

Well here alot of people run part time kits to eliminate drive line problem vibrations and noise. As i said. That's not the final dyno. I don't have a final dyno copy scanned into computer. The stock small air pod wa restricting air. So it was removed and redyno'd. After that run I removed and enlarged all intake pipes and custom made a air box. So it had no restrictions = 290 you see there (with air pod). After then engine was run in, it got retuned and made 320 with 33's.
I understand all that. What I also understand is that 290 is with NO AIR FILTER as stated on the dyno sheet.

Is the 320 figure also with NO AIR FILTER? Probably so since they probably recreated the same test conditions?

Unreliable offroading of course because it's fun to be able to have a fast off road capable street truck and Land Cruisers have proven time and time again that they can do it. I'm sorry for you if you somehow find that offensive?

Uhh, I don't find it offensive. I asked what the purpose of the vehicle was, I guess I just don't see the need. Oh and no need to feel sorry for me, i'm doing quite well thank you. ;)

I've swapped a chevy small block stroked to 383cid into an Olds. It was relatively easy since they were both GM, but the costs still add up.

for me the biggest single cost was the adapter.

The Aisin tranny is large, but it is also very strong as is. It will take 650hp+ without mods. Maybe the newer GM trannys will do that but I know the ones made around the time these trucks were produced would not.

I would call the transmission selection a draw. yes, a stock 4L60e is not as durable, but the one I am running has about 95k miles on it and it's holding up fine. If something goes wrong I will source a pre-built one and slap it in.

As power goes up, so should the appropriate transmission beefing. Both transmission need help in differing areas. Nothing is indestructible though.

A long time ago, I ran a 380hp AMC 401 in my jeep with a lofty 7000 rpm red line. I also ran a Torque Flight 727 behind it. 727s are known for their strength in the drag race would, but they have a fundamental flaw - the rear sprag.

The 1FZFE is very streetable with the turbo. Even better manners and much more quiet actually. Off road is the same, just loads more power on tap. Better gas mileage cruising on the freeway as long as the skinny pedal gets to rest, but around town it drinks gas because, well you know, if the power is there its kinda boring to have to do much waiting around. I am anxious to do the new stall after the ported head is back on. That will be very handy off road not mention the total absence of any lag off the line.

I will have to take your word on that. I haven't driven a turbo cruiser. About my only exposure to turbo'd cars would be an old buddy of mine from tech school and his modded '86 turbo 944. that car was indeed fast. He used to run a Porsche business called Technodyne. the page is dead, but the car is in the title shot. Technodyne - Racing and Tuning for Porsches

at any rate, it's a matter of preference. Clearly there is lot's of experience in this thread and we all have knowledge and skills that allow the opportunity to do this sort of stuff in our garage and then enjoy the ride after.:beer:

simply keeping up with traffic. these old cruisers are no match for a tercel on the highway in stock form.

:doh:

Jamisobe I am totally down for meeting in El Paso but I guess we both have to get our rides done first haha... I hope to have mine on the road by the end of July hopefully.

I understand all that. What I also understand is that 290 is with NO AIR FILTER as stated on the dyno sheet.

Is the 320 figure also with NO AIR FILTER? Probably so since they probably recreated the same test conditions?

And for the last time NO!! The 320 was WITH THE CUSTOM AIR POD AND UPGRADED FILTER. That first dyno test was just to see how much the original air filter hindered the air flow.

Small factory air pod and filter that was never designed for that much horse power, just the turbo diesel I pulled out.

Small air pod and filter - 265
No air filter - 290
Much larger pod and filter - 290
Engine run in and retune (with larger pod and filter) - 320

That answer it for you?

And for the last time NO!! The 320 was WITH THE CUSTOM AIR POD AND UPGRADED FILTER. That first dyno test was just to see how much the original air filter hindered the air flow.

Small factory air pod and filter that was never designed for that much horse power, just the turbo diesel I pulled out.

Small air pod and filter - 265
No air filter - 290
Much larger pod and filter - 290
Engine run in and retune (with larger pod and filter) - 320

That answer it for you?
Yes. Thanks.

Bottom Line - Super Chargers are for the guys that have never driven a V8 powered Land Cruiser. Also all 6cyl sound gay under acceleration.

^^ X2 - My life has been different since I sold my LT1 FJ60 - It was so fast it actually ADDED time to my day.. literally frightened drivers of Porches And got better mileage than my straight six 80 - although i did run super in the V8 - with how cheap you can get used vortecs/computer/harness/gas pedal- swap is the real way to go
w/ a 3" custom exhaust it sounded exactly like a 'Vette

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom