lower oil pan with FIPG questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started removal of lower oil pan this evening and will finish it up tomorrow....

I have the manual download but cant seem to access it...anyone have some pics of the pages on how much and where to put FIPG?

It looks like 67 "inch" pounds for torque on pan.

027.JPG

One of the most important things to remember to a successful install (no leaks) of that oil pan when using FIPG is your prep work. You want to make sure that both mounting surfaces are clean, and dry, without any traces of oil on them.

First thing i do, I'll chase each bolt hole in the upper oil pan with a tap to clean out the threads, then i flush each bolt hole with brake cleaner, followed up with my air gun to remove any crud from the hole. I then wire wheel the threads on each oil pan bolt, next i remove any oil on them with brake cleaner. I'll then solvent wash the lower oil pan, followed up with a rag soaked in brake cleaner, I'll wipe off the pans mounting surface, then a good blow dry with compressed air.

Once everything is clean, and dry I'll apply a bead of FIPG about 3/16 to a 1/4 of and inch in diameter all the way around the pan. I pay special attention to each bolt hole, i run a bead of FIPG completely around each bolt hole on the pan. Plus before i install the pan bolts i like to put just a dab of FIPG on the threads of each bolt.

Then right before i lift the lower oil pan up to bolt it in place, I'll go over the upper oil pan mounting rail one last time with a rag soaked in brake cleaner, just to make sure there is no oil on that mounting surface. Blow dry the mounting surface one last time with compressed air, then bolt the lower oil pan in place.

Once you torque the the lower oil pan in place, you should see a small amount of FIPG being squeezed out all the way around your pan. I like to let the truck sit for at least 24 hours so the FIPG can completely dry before i add any oil, or try to start the truck. It takes a little more time to do it like this, but I never have any leaks when i do.

Last edited:
What Rifleman said. Wouldn't change a thing. I have found that the FIPG goes a long way. (i.e. it's easy to over-do or use too much.) Don't worry, it just looks like it's not enough at 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch. But if you look at the mounting surfaces, where they meet it's pretty flat. So it's just going to squish out. The main thing is an even, consistent bead. And the prep work, like Rifleman said, is really the most important thing. You'll be set!

One of the most important things to remember to a successful install (no leaks) of that oil pan when using FIPG is your prep work. You want to make sure that both mounting surfaces are clean, and dry, without any traces of oil on them.

First thing i do, I'll chase each bolt hole in the upper oil pan with a tap to clean out the threads, then i flush each bolt hole with brake cleaner, followed up with my air gun to remove any crud from the hole. I then wire wheel the threads on each oil pan bolt, next i remove any oil on them with brake cleaner. I'll then solvent wash the lower oil pan, followed up with a rag soaked in brake cleaner, I'll wipe off the pans mounting surface, then a good blow dry with compressed air.

Once everything is clean, and dry I'll apply a bead of FIPG about 3/16 to a 1/4 of and inch in diameter all the way around the pan. I pay special attention to each bolt hole, i run a bead of FIPG completely around each bolt hole on the pan. Plus before i install the pan bolts i like to put just a dab of FIPG on the threads of each bolt.

Then right before i lift the lower oil pan up to bolt it in place, I'll go over the upper oil pan mounting rail one last time with a rag soaked in brake cleaner, just to make sure there is no oil on that mounting surface. Blow dry the mounting surface one last time with compressed air, then bolt the lower oil pan in place.

Once you torque the the lower oil pan in place, you should see a small amount of FIPG being squeezed out all the way around your pan. I like to let the truck sit for at least 24 hours so the FIPG can completely dry before i add any oil, or try to start the truck. It takes a little more time to do it like this, but I've never have any leaks when i do.

Thanks Lucas McCain!!

just got it done, those tips were helpful and all went lever action smooth ;)

How much FIPG do I need for an upper and lower oil pan job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom