Low Fuel Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So no ideas how to test circuit without taking the cluster out? Or to test the light sender? Gauge was below E today and it took 21.5 gals so I know the light circuit is broken.
The light circuit might be broken. What you do know is the light doesn't go on if you have more than 3.5 gallons in the tank. It's a fair question to see if there's a way to test the circuit. For myself, I'd carry a gallon of gas or count on my AAA towing, and run it until I could put in at least 23 gallons.

I find it unnerving to let the gas gauge go below "E", but my Cruiser goes well below "E" and still has gas. If your 80 runs out of gas and needs less than 25 gallons to fill, I think it was at an angle when it ran out.

The light circuit might be broken. What you do know is the light doesn't go on if you have more than 3.5 gallons in the tank. It's a fair question to see if there's a way to test the circuit. For myself, I'd carry a gallon of gas or count on my AAA towing, and run it until I could put in at least 23 gallons.

I find it unnerving to let the gas gauge go below "E", but my Cruiser goes well below "E" and still has gas. If your 80 runs out of gas and needs less than 25 gallons to fill, I think it was at an angle when it ran out.
Mine comes on at 80-81 liters used. Tank is 96 liters. So I have 100 KMS till empty.

I know this is bringing an old thread back to life, but i wanted to share some more information with the group. I've owned my truck a little over 2 years, in all that time the low fuel light has never come on. So since i was almost on empty today, i put a full 5 Gallon gas can in the back, and made up my mind i was going to keep driving to see if the low fuel light worked. As luck would have it, it does work, the gas gauge needle was well below the "E" tick mark before it even started to show a faint orange glow. By the time the light came on, and stayed on, the truck was showing 210 miles* since it's last fill up. I stopped at the gas station, and filled it all the way up, it took a total of 21.5 gallons. Most members report 5 gallons left when their light came on, in my case i was left with about 3 and 5/8 gallons, factory tank is 25.1 gallons. *Note, my last fill up before the low fuel light came on, I'd spent most of the day driving off road, so I'm sure that had an impact on my overall mileage.

Last edited:
IMAG0115.jpg
IMAG0116.jpg

357 miles on on tank, 24 gallons. Once I did pump 25.10 or so the truck was so empty it died a few times pulling up to the pump. Also if the nose of the truck is pointed down hill and there is less than a gallon or so in the tank the pump won't pick it up, you will have to level the truck so it will start.

My light stays on...how do I fix it?

Stays on all the time? Even after you have fueled up more than 5 gallons? Never heardthat before but I'd start by checking the floater in the fuel tank, it's on the US drivers side under the second row seats. Remove carpet and there will be a access hatch with several bolts around it. Under the hatch will be the fuel tank. Remove the flotation device, it comes out as a unit together with the fuel pump and check for loose wires or a stuck maybe rusted flotation device? I'd suggest changing the fuel sock at the same time as you will already be in there. Search fuel sock you should find pictures of everything I have written, possibly even a step by step.

I had posted previously that my light came on with exactly 5 gallons remaining.

I had the dreaded cracked fuel tank and changed out the TANK, but kept the same pump and sensor that was in the truck.

Interestingly enough, NOW when my light comes on, I only have about 2-1/2 gallons left. I'm not sure why, as I was VERY careful when I R/R my pump that I didn't hang it or bang it on anything to disturb its settings for exactly this reason. I am guessing it is because the "new" tank is not sucked in like the old one must have been.

I have not run out of fuel with the new tank YET (knock, knock, knock...) in order to confirm the total number of gallons in a FULL fill.

Just FYI as it can change based on replacing some parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom