Lost (GX) key fob away from home DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r2m

Richard
Threads
I consider this an important message to all GX owners (along with any other vehicles with similar keys)
Okay, it finally happened. first time I've ever lost my keys (key fob included).
My wife and I were celebrating our 34 year anniversary along with her birthday at Disneyland all day, had a great day, getting late and ready to go home.
Walk through the massive parking structure to my rig, pull on the door handle... Nothing happens. Pull again, still nothing. WHAT??? (BTY, it was not somebody else's GX I was trying to open, which I know has happened to others, trying to open the wrong vehicle, my rig is very unique)
I check my key ring on my belt loop and sure enough my Lexus GX 460 (I think 460 represents the price of a new key fob) key fob was missing!!! I had my house key on my key ring (small carabiner) but no fob. Called Disneyland security and lost & found... Nothing.
Had to call my daughter and have her drive 40 miles (each way) to get me my extra key fob.

So... Lessons learned:
  • REALLY glad I had the presence of mind to get a second key fob when I purchased my vehicle (it only came with one)
  • REALLY need to have some method of having a second physical key hidden external on the vehicle and a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch in the vehicle for after I unlock the door.
  • Or keep a key fob in a Faraday/RFID blocking pouch hidden externally on the vehicle.
I called the Lexus 24 hour help(less) line and they just told me I'd have to tow the vehicle to the nearest Lexus dealer and have a new key made the next day. :flipoff2:

It made me think of what this would cost if it happened while traveling out of town! An extra night's lodging, and who knows which Lexus dealer and how far we'd be if I were to lose a key fob in the middle of nowhere? Then losing a day of vacation/travel and that's assuming it was lost on a weekday! If it was a weekend, then one is looking a several nights lodging. Towing costs, lodging costs, extra meals, it would turn into a real life Griswold Vacation!!

Last edited:
Keep the key fob in a RFID bag (or better yet remove the battery) and place it in the vehicle. The pull the metal key out of that fob and place it hidden externally to you can open the driver door, then get to the spare key fob to start the car.

EDIT: I always try and remember (not very good at it though) to give a fried in the group my spare key whey we go wheeling. That way if I loose my key during the trip, there's a backup close by.

EDIT 2: Another option is the Lexus credit card style key to keep in your wallet.

Last edited:
I can be such an idiot! Brilliant idea to just take the battery out of the key fob!!! Don't even need any tools for our key fobs, just take the physical key and give a little twist inside the key fob and split the case! Easy-peasy! Sometimes, I think I'd just get bitten by what I don't see right in front of me.

I already had a physical key cut just for when my wife and I are surfing so it can go in the water and to hid on the vehicle, but didn't think about the battery removal.

Anyone know if our key fobs can be programed by ourselves or does it have to be done by a dealer?
If so, what's the dance to do it. I know I was able to program my 100 series Landcruiser keys through a series of locks, unlocks, etc, etc, etc. Same with my wife's 2007 Tacoma. I was able to program that myself also.

I know this is a re-post from my previous thread, but I feel this is a very important topic.

Anyone know if our key fobs can be programed by ourselves or does it have to be done by a dealer?
If so, what's the dance to do it. I know I was able to program my 100 series Landcruiser keys through a series of locks, unlocks, etc, etc, etc. Same with my wife's 2007 Tacoma. I was able to program that myself also.

I know this is a re-post from my previous thread, but I feel this is a very important topic.
I'm told (I haven't done it myself) that TechStream can program keys. TS Lite can be had online for free and you'd just need the OBDII cable...a good one from Tactrix is a start. Then you can customize other settings too.

Thanks for the excellent reminder. I'm sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and really appreciate you sharing it with the group. Might save me from a similar fate one day!

I’ve learned my lesson before, came back after a hike and realize my car keys had fallen out of my backpack. Good thing almost all my cars have a hidden key somewhere in one of those magnetic key boxes, except for the Lexus. Although it been so long since I’ve used any of them I probably couldn’t find them anymore unless I dismantle the vehicles. Anytime I go out of town I have my wife carry the spare key. I’ve been meaning to get another spare and do what kj6irm suggested, but the new keys are so expensive I’ve been putting it off for a while

I ordered a spare keyfob with a blank key on Ebay. I was able to program it using techstream. The only quirky thing with techstream is that it is easier to get working with older windows platform.

I'm doing the whole thing myself except cutting the physical keys.
  • Ordered two new key fobs with the physical key
  • Ordered Techstream software and cable
  • Ordered IRFD/Faraday pouch for key fob
  • And two rubber pouches to help protect the cases (already use them and these have worked great)
  • Already have a physical key that I had cut. Not the fob key, but one that looks like a regular key. That will be my hiding key.
When I get all that in, I'm going to do my own key programing for both the new key fobs and have the fob keys cut.
Then I'm going to keep one fob in the vehicle in the IRFD pouch and hid the other key in the front ... Wait!!! I can't tell you where I'll hide it!!! Everything came off Amazon.
Needless to say, the regular key I already cut will be hidden somewhere on the exterior. Hopefully some place I won't forget...
Hopefully someplace I won't forget.

Last edited:
Okay, I now have my backup in case I ever lose my key fob again.
Installed TechStream. I need tech help, the directions are not straight forward, but since tech support is in China. I emailed them around 1600 (4pm) my time, their day is just starting over there. I received an immediate reply within 2 or 3 minutes. Within 5 minutes he was remotely on my machine and finished the installation in about another 5 minutes.
Below is everything I purchased on Amazon and below the pic is the price breakdown.

Techstream cable and CD software: $60.99
Lexus four button Smart Key, quantity two (2): $80.00 x 2 = $160.00
Cut the physical key fob keys, quantity two (2): $50.00 x 2 = $100.00
RFID/Faraday pouch for key fobs, two (2) pack: $13.97
Black (with red symbols) silicone rubber full key fob covers, quanitity two (2): $9.99 x 2 = $19.98
Total for everything: $354.94
Just to have the dealer do one key: about $450.00
All that's left is to hide a physical key on the exterior somewhere and keep a key fob in one of the Faraday pouches in the car somewhere, and call it DONE!

Last edited:
I had a strange key situation today. I could not find my usual key fob today so I figured it must have dropped between the seats. I decided to start the car to see if it detects the fob inside the car, it started right away. I went off to take the kids to school and then ran a couple of errands and was able to start the car each time. Each time, I leave the car unlock since i do not have the key on me. When, I came out of a shop, went to start the car and now the car does not detect the fob. I am now stuck about 30 miles from home. This really sucked. I had to have Uber take me home and back with the spare key. I still have not found the original key fob nor understand how the car started several times. I have been checking the car every inch and the key is no where to be found.

Now I need to find a location to put the key where I can access in case I lose my key fob while away from home. Where do you guys keep your spare?

@r2m - Thanks for documenting the whole Techstream thing and for the photo.

My GX470 came with one key and the dealer boned charged us $400 for another single, programmed key. I just didn't want to mess with the whole Techstream thing. But, I agree that a 2nd key is critical.

I had a strange key situation today. I could not find my usual key fob today so I figured it must have dropped between the seats. I decided to start the car to see if it detects the fob inside the car, it started right away. I went off to take the kids to school and then ran a couple of errands and was able to start the car each time. Each time, I leave the car unlock since i do not have the key on me. When, I came out of a shop, went to start the car and now the car does not detect the fob. I am now stuck about 30 miles from home. This really sucked. I had to have Uber take me home and back with the spare key. I still have not found the original key fob nor understand how the car started several times. I have been checking the car every inch and the key is no where to be found.

Now I need to find a location to put the key where I can access in case I lose my key fob while away from home. Where do you guys keep your spare?
Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!
I'm laughing because we had a similar situation happen to us!
First off, if your fob is in your vehicle, you can't lock yourself out. It just won't let you lock the car. Even if it did lock, with the fob in the car, you'd be able to unlock it too, right?
At this point you can either read the story or if I'm being too winded, you can skip on down to the solution.
My wife and I were at Disneyland for the day and pretty much closed it down. We got on the tram back to the parking structure and walked up to my rig. I keep my keys on a small carabiner on my belt loop. Grabbed the door handle to open (which we all know also unlocks), and nothing happened! Tried a couple more times... Nothing. Went a felt for my keys, my carabiner was there along with my house key and office security fob, BUT NO LEXUS FOB!!! No idea how that was the only thing that came off the carabiner.
I knew I couldn't call AAA because even if I could get in, I couldn't start it. Called Lexus, remember it's about 2200 hrs by this time, and their response was, "... well you can tow it to your nearest Lexus dealer and they can make a key for you the next day.". What the Fungus!!! Seriously! That's the best they could do!!!
Anyways, we had to call my daughter and she was able to drive on down (about 40 miles) with our spare fob.
SOLUTION:
So, I had to bite the bullet and get another key fob from Lexus since I wasn't about to take my only extra fob for daily use.
I went on Amazon and purchased a Faraday pouch:
Amazon product ASIN B07GDD35GHThen I had a physical key made from the valet key in the fob.
I put the new fob in the Faraday pouch and put that in a non-disclosed location INSIDE my rig.
AND hid the physical key in a non-disclosed location OUTSIDE (exterior) of my rig.
Doing this, I can always get into my rig with the key hidden outside the car AND then get to the Faraday pouch with the fob to start it.
Tip: periodically check the spare key fob battery, it'll do no good if you can get in your car and the fob battery is dead... ;)

Follow up the lost fob. Went back to Disneyland some 7 or 8 months later, and just for giggles, before going in, went to lost and found and asked about it.
Believe it or not, someone actually turned it in and they still had it in their lost and found!!! So now I have 2 extra fobs! :clap:

I bought a spare and programmed the new fob - really easy. Now I need to go get the physical key cut.

Putting the fob in the car inside an RFID pouch worked perfectly.

Ha-ha!! Jokes on me!!!
I didn't realize this is a thread I started and I just repeated my entire stupid story again!
My apologies to all who spent the time reading the second story again and for that time you'll never get back again.

Update on this whole key fob thing and to confirm Acrad's earlier comment.
Story time.
So I'm up here in Tahoe doing the family ski thing. Where we stay at has valet parking and since my vehicle is oversized (roof top tent and all) they keep it in front instead of the underground parking so when I ask for my vehicle, they just hand me the key fob. So after a couple of days of just skiing and not not going anywhere (the gondola is just outside out place), my rig has been sitting for almost a week. My wife and I are ready to go out, get the key fob from the valet and I go to to pull on the passenger side door handles (to let my wife in first!).
Nothing...
Try again, this time on the drivers side.
Nothing...
So I go to my "hidden" physical key that I've mentioned above and unlock the rig and get in. I try to start the engine and again nothing.
Then I remember the little trick Acrad posted, "if a key fob has a dead battery, touch the key fob to the push button." (or something to that effect).
So I pushed the ignition button with the key fob and Walla,walla! It worked!
After reaching our destination, we got out and I used the door handle touch lock. Worked!
So I'm thinking that the battery from sitting out side in the valet lock box must have been chilled enough not to work and also probably being old. After having it on me in a nice warm vehicle, it worked fine again. But I still went and purchased and new battery for the key fob and replaced it.
And in worst case scenario, I would also have a fresh battery from my backup fob that I keep inside my rig.
So, in short, one can still start their vehicle with a dead battery in their key fob if they press the ignition button with the key fob. 👍

Last edited:
Okay, I now have my backup in case I ever lose my key fob again.
Installed TechStream. I need tech help, the directions are not straight forward, but since tech support is in China. I emailed them around 1600 (4pm) my time, their day is just starting over there. I received an immediate reply within 2 or 3 minutes. Within 5 minutes he was remotely on my machine and finished the installation in about another 5 minutes.
Below is everything I purchased on Amazon and below the pic is the price breakdown.
View attachment 1931090
Techstream cable and CD software: $60.99
Lexus four button Smart Key, quantity two (2): $80.00 x 2 = $160.00
Cut the physical key fob keys, quantity two (2): $50.00 x 2 = $100.00
RFID/Faraday pouch for key fobs, two (2) pack: $13.97
Black (with red symbols) silicone rubber full key fob covers, quanitity two (2): $9.99 x 2 = $19.98
Total for everything: $354.94
Just to have the dealer do one key: about $450.00
All that's left is to hide a physical key on the exterior somewhere and keep a key fob in one of the Faraday pouches in the car somewhere, and call it DONE!
Hey r2m,

Did you buy OEM Lexus key fobs or did you get off-brand fobs? The lexus OEMs are now ~$120 each without the blade key... I see some knockoffs on Amazon for like $50-60 including the blank blade but I'm hesitant. I'm worried that the knockoffs may not program nicely with Techstream.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom