Losing oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '97 FZJ80, with about 210K miles, and runs beautifully. However, I'm having to add a quart of oil at least every 100 miles. There are no leaks, the spark plugs are clean and dry, and it has a new PCV valve. Mechanic did a compression test and a leak down test, both came out almost perfect. So I'm stumped, and so is the mechanic. I found a couple of threads addressing this issue, but they're from 2006 and 2013, and I don't recall reading about any definitive diagnosis or fix, except maybe a problem with valve stem seals. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Man you are well into the 2-stroke fuel/oil ratio with those numbers. Only 2 ways oil leaves the engine - leaks out or via the combustion chambers. Since you have no leaks (check there is no oil in the coolant - oil cooler uses the cooling system and the gaskets can fail) then the engine is clearly burning it. There are a few options for this route, worn piston rings, worn valve stem oil seals or the PCV is vacuuming up oil from the valve cover. Start with the PCV then do a leak down test if the PCV checks out.

Yup. Valve stem seals for me. Also some leaks that were blowing in the wind.

What brand and viscosity oil are you using?

Have the valve stem seals ever been replaced (ie: when a head gasket is replaced the valve stem seals are also replaced)?

How many miles on your engine?

As mentioned above and as others have found, the valve stem seals are often the culprit, replace those and your oil consumption will likely go way down.

Problem is the cost to pay someone to replace the valve stem seals; by the book the head has to come off, so you're looking at $3000-5000+ depending on what else is done while the head is off. There is a cheat method using compressed air to keep the valves up while replacing the seals so less work and the head doesn't come off. Maybe $2000 if you can find someone to do it.

IME you can put off replacing the seals for awhile by using a heavier weight oil
(10/15W-40/50 depending on your local weather) maybe along with a bottle of Lucas (controversial but IME it does work to slow down usage).

One person recently said on the forum that he was using 0W-20 IIRC, not good for the engine but also it will drink that light weight especially fast with old valve stem seals.

Thanks all. I've started using heavier oil while I figure this out; can't really tell yet if it's helping. I'm open to suggestions on which oil to use. I was using Quaker State Defy, 10W-40, but can't find it anymore. My mechanic would do the valve stem seal replacement, but he doesn't have the special tool that Toyota uses to do that. Does anyone know of a shop in the DFW area or Austin, in Texas, that can do this without removing the head?

Some people have used Shell Rotella 15W-40 (Wally Mart sells it) and reported decreased consumption. Don't know if any specific oil brand will make all that much difference than the next in this situation (worn valve stem seals).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom