Looking to purchase a 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Same as above. DMV people thought I was lying or illiterate.

AAA will not do out of state reg. Or fresh import From overseas. They refer you to DMV (at least that’s what AAA does by my house...)

Look in the import section of Mud, there is a thread on there about CA registration, one guy recently got his all taken car of and months later still has his valid title and no rejection. He mentioned the specific office he went to. And in that thread you can see what to expect for the process and results.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anybody has any resources or information on the feasibility of getting a 70 series with a 3F Gas or 2UZ-FE Gas engine registered in California I would greatly appreciate it.
i am planning to import 1987 FJ70 hardtop with 2UZ-FE V8 gas engine and register it to CA. see the attached.
I read online and some forms that i need to do the following modification / install to the FJ70 gas engine to be able to register it with CA DMV and pass the smog:

1. EFI (from a carburetor to a fuel injected system), we will have to replace the mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump

2. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system

3. California catalytic converter

4. O2 Sensor

Let me know if you have any info
Thanks

IMG_20210613_004052_711.jpg

IMG_20210613_004055_168.jpg

IMG_20210613_004057_603.jpg

IMG_20210613_004140_756.jpg

Last edited:
good luck
Hello,

x2.

I hate to break it to you but that is a Light Duty 70 Series, not an FJ70 but an RJ70.

It might comply with the 25-year rule but the engine is not the original, which complicates things. A replaced engine renders the truck impossible to register. You may pass import inspection but it is a gamble.

CA emissions requirements are getting harder to pass for both gasoline and diesel trucks.

Some comments on the engine below.

If the engine is a 1UZ-FE with all the electronics, then the fuel pump is electrical and already there. However, it is necessary to check whether the electronics are properly set up.

Some markets have EGR systems, some do not. Is this a Middle East truck?

There is room under the right-hand side for both the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor.

I would find a truck with the original engine for import. I would also find a 1UZ engine, complete with harness and ECU, for the conversion. Once stateside, I would attempt the conversion. I would not do it in California, as I would be riding for a very hard fall.

Juan

@JuanJ is on it.

CA engine swaps are not the end of the world, its very doable. But the rule of thumb is you need to go newer than the rest of the vehicle. The referee station is pretty cool about things, but if its hobbled together, they will be less easy on you. And if you can't prove dates (both for starting and ending) its going to be tough. Starting with a good legal and known date vehicle, then swapping and going to a referee station after will be a much less risk filled route.

i was able to register mines here in California not long ago, it was a pain in the ass but i was able to do it, if you need any guidance/advice shoot me a message.

nj73cali (2).jpg

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anybody has any resources or information on the feasibility of getting a 70 series with a 3F Gas or 2UZ-FE Gas engine registered in California I would greatly appreciate it.
i am planning to import 1987 FJ70 hardtop with 2UZ-FE V8 gas engine and register it to CA. see the attached.
I read online and some forms that i need to do the following modification / install to the FJ70 gas engine to be able to register it with CA DMV and pass the smog:

1. EFI (from a carburetor to a fuel injected system), we will have to replace the mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump

2. EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system

3. California catalytic converter

4. O2 Sensor

Let me know if you have any info
Thanks

View attachment 2702342

View attachment 2702343

View attachment 2702344

View attachment 2702345
Great project, but it's not quite that simple to get it to pass 100% above board. Basically the entire system needs to match a US spec vehicle. The engine itself needs to have a US EPA stamp and all of the equipment has to carry over. It would be *relatively* easy to graft the drivetrain from a pickup into that rig since parts are readily available. You could do a nice 22RE or 3RZ swap since that's a Prado, I believe they share the same transmission (I don't know about inputs but I think a US spec 5 speed from a pickup will drop right in there). No idea what's behind the 2UZ but I have serious doubts that you'll even be able to make that work unless you grafted the an entire US spec set up to run it into that little truck. I think a swapped engine is a do not pass go just to get it into the States anyway, although some have made it. You'll need to register it out of state first, do your swap and make sure the thing is 100% legit, then take it to a ref. It'll be a process for sure.

I knew of a dead early Prado in good shape with a popped 2L diesel a while back. I toyed with doing a swap like this with a supercharged 5VZ-FE but decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze unless you have the space and resources to do the swap yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom