Looking to buy first 60 series (Or, how to not taken and filled with regret) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its a fair amount of work to do all that. And its kinda the holy grail of the kind of work being done on these rigs to keep them original. Its the kind of work I hope to do on mine someday. Not a trivial undertaking. Its just a shame its been done on such a crappy example. As I said before I would never feel good about that truck regardless of what's been done to it mechanically. That's just me. I'm a worrier. Last time I checked I think a correctly done 2F engine rebuild alone comes in at like 10K these days, maybe more now. Someone else can chime in on accuracy there as its something I have not kept up with too closely. So the work done might be approaching 15K. Not sure there.

It just seems to me a situation where the seller wanted to make it reliable, had some buddies and access to a shop to help him, poured money into it (maybe around 15K? :rolleyes:), realized that despite all the work it needs more, and now wants you to pay for it so he can get what he has in it back. Who did the work (sorry I didn't see where it was mentioned)? Why is he selling it? Are you interested in it solely because its close?

Ultimately this is up to you. If you feel good about it, then great that's all that matters. You have folks saying otherwise so I think you have your answer. GLWS and HTH.
The guy who did the work IS the seller. The seller is a mechanic and runs his own little "specialty foreign cars" type of shop. Its a little hole in the wall, but all very unique (albeit beater looking) specialty foreign cars.

The seller/mechanic hasnt once struck me as a inept con-man (but this also could just be me blinded by eagerness🤣) I talked to him about the points yall raised here. Plus, the mechanic/seller actually sold this rig to a guy (locally) like 7 years prior. This buyer, had it for a while, but decided he wanted a brand new FJ60 off of BaT. So he sold it back to the mechanic. And this was like 3 years ago.

So the mechanic/seller has been sitting on this rig for about 3 years. Just using it personally as his vehicle. I am a total mechanical newb, but the fact that hes using it daily as his vhic strikes me as a "good sign" Because why would he use something unreliable?

I also asked him about how to fix that terrible rear rust, and he told me about a company which makes that panel called "Wolf Panel"??

All in all, my current predicament is; I could drive 1000 miles to find a rust free aesthetically clean beauty...that is totally original and could break on the ride back. Where as this seller (who is the mechanic) rebuilt all the important stuff it sounds like...its just the body looks like hell 🤣 And this is now where advice from everyone would be appreciated. I was never looking for a pristine beauty, I really just want a reliable one, which I can invest money into SLOWLY. Reliability is my main focus. But if you all think foregoing this one, and looking elsewhere is the best option, I will more than likely do that. But again, I ask that you all consider the rebuild work hes (allegedly) done 👍

Just stay away from that one. The rust will only get worse, and anything you put into it will be money wasted. I wouldn't be so fixated on the rebuilt motor. These engines are pretty reliable, and a lot of them only need a rebuild because something bad happened to them, such as overheating or a galley plug blowout.

Plus, I would never trust someone else's rebuild. I would want to oversee that whole operation. Not necessarily doing the work, but certainly controlling what parts were used, and who was doing the work.

I could drive 1000 miles to find a rust free aesthetically clean beauty...that is totally original and could break on the ride back.

Make no mistake, it can still break even with a rebuilt engine. Cross your fingers your mechanic is any good at what he does. No guarantees with these beasts. I'll take my 206,000 mile original any day.

I was never looking for a pristine beauty, I really just want a reliable one, which I can invest money into SLOWLY. Reliability is my main focus.

This has little to do with aesthetics over mechanics or reliability. However, you can prolly have both if you choose to I am convinced for more or less money than you are considering spending. Its understandable resisting walking away from all that mechanical goodness and even the cleanest/rebuilt truck will still have issues. That truck will blow away to dust if the rust is left untreated however. You are at least on the hook for that right up front. There is no SLOWLY to it. Good news is at least its all out in the open and not hidden under a re-paint. There are easier ways to do this OP.

It sounds like your mind is made up, so you do you OP. You have enough opinions from folks much more experienced than me on what they think about this truck. Ignore them at your peril. In the end it only matters what you think. If having everything rebuilt makes you feel more confident in the truck, and you feel like you are getting a good deal, then go for it. Lots of opinions to the contrary. But they are just that: Opinions. Pretty experienced opinions, but opinions nonetheless.

Again GL here and welcome to the madness. Glad you are here.

The thing that sucks the most is that, I have only seen 2 FJ60's in person in 6 years. Idk if Missouri just doesnt really get them or what. I can find plenty online, but always in other states far away. I never find them at a local dealer/garage. And I have never bought a car via a private seller before. Is that process straight forward? Is this how most of you all bought your 60s?

That's how I bought my 40, sight unseen even. Just lots of pictures and a video.

Had it shipped to my house done deal.

^^^^^^^ Truer word we're never spoken😁😁😁

Even with all the rebuild work?
I'd question to what standard it was done...if the drivetrain was rebuilt, how come the transmission crossmember is wet with oil?

The guy who did the work IS the seller. The seller is a mechanic and runs his own little "specialty foreign cars" type of shop. Its a little hole in the wall, but all very unique (albeit beater looking) specialty foreign cars.

The seller/mechanic hasnt once struck me as a inept con-man (but this also could just be me blinded by eagerness🤣) I talked to him about the points yall raised here. Plus, the mechanic/seller actually sold this rig to a guy (locally) like 7 years prior. This buyer, had it for a while, but decided he wanted a brand new FJ60 off of BaT. So he sold it back to the mechanic. And this was like 3 years ago.

So the mechanic/seller has been sitting on this rig for about 3 years. Just using it personally as his vehicle. I am a total mechanical newb, but the fact that hes using it daily as his vhic strikes me as a "good sign" Because why would he use something unreliable?

I also asked him about how to fix that terrible rear rust, and he told me about a company which makes that panel called "Wolf Panel"??

All in all, my current predicament is; I could drive 1000 miles to find a rust free aesthetically clean beauty...that is totally original and could break on the ride back. Where as this seller (who is the mechanic) rebuilt all the important stuff it sounds like...its just the body looks like hell 🤣 And this is now where advice from everyone would be appreciated. I was never looking for a pristine beauty, I really just want a reliable one, which I can invest money into SLOWLY. Reliability is my main focus. But if you all think foregoing this one, and looking elsewhere is the best option, I will more than likely do that. But again, I ask that you all consider the rebuild work hes (allegedly) done 👍
This is not the only 60 series in your state/region/part of the country. It may seem that way, but it’s not true. And local doesn’t always mean best, or even best value, even if it’s staring you in the face every week.

Your budget and comfort level are entirely yours. But if you decide to pull the trigger, whatever you pay up front ($10-15k) for this vehicle will need to be doubled in the near/mid term for rust repair and repaint.

Also think about the additional water damage this thing has accumulated over the years due to the gaping holes in the body. Electrical (would you trust it?), interior fabric (mold), and more rust, etc. Before you decide to buy it, I recommend you access the interior again (if he lets you) and pull up the carpet (trunk area, floor panels, etc.). My guess is this thing is hiding major rust issues just out of sight.

Updated or decently maintained mechanical features aren’t unique to this one Land Cruiser. And who wants updated mechanical stuff when they will be driving around in a glorified Flintstone car with Toyota badges?

It’s been stated before, but go back through all the previous 60-series sold on Bring A Trailer. Yes, there’s a lot of dudes with more money than they know what to do with, but it’ll give you an idea of the market overall, the variety and condition of LCs out there, and most importantly note that they just keep posting 60 series for sale multiple times per week. Week after week, month after month, year after year. They aren’t “rare”. They are everywhere.

I bought a 1990 FJ62 with 144,000 miles about a year ago. It is in far better condition than the 60 series you are looking at, I spent more than $15k for it, have put another $6k it, the majority of mechanical work performed by a local Land Cruiser guru and all interior work performed by me, and I can tell you that I don’t trust it as a daily driver.

Do I plan to keep it forever? Yes. Do I plan to continue making incremental upgrades? Yes. Am I aware that it is a money pit? Yes. But she’s my Land Cruiser.

If you truly think this is your Land Cruiser, then do what makes you happy. Ultimately it’s entirely up to you. We are just a few hundred knuckleheads with a few thousand opinions. Trust your head and your gut and decide what will make you happiest in the long run (not immediately).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I will forego this one and hold out for a better one.

Can anyone advise me on how the process of vehicle delivery works? What companies are out there, and how that process works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom