Looking to buy first 60 series (Or, how to not taken and filled with regret) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your location shows as 'lol no' - which is not helpful. If you're in the rust belt, the questions will be different than if you're in southern Utah. Is this truck from a dry climate? Do you live in a dry climate? Some trucks this age are still originally very clean, and some are 3x-times rebuilt rustbuckets.
I am located in Missouri.

I am located in Missouri.
Then you know about rust. Mine has rusty rear quarters, rust in the doors (not yet visable) I had to patch the front foot wells, I got a leak on the upper windshield. Rust under the back seat, small but it goes all the way through. I'm sure it's worse than I've found. The frame is just surface rust, but nearly every bolt breaks off. The dealership installed undercoating may have helped, but not as well as the grease found from the u-joints.

I didn't buy a LC for a show car. It's about going on the two-tracks, camping out, getting to river access for boating, running the dogs, hunting meat or rocks, seeing wildlife, geology, and being able to rescue people with their disposable vehicles that break down and get everyone home safe.

Hahaha! I'm lucky to have mostly positive experiences with mine, but if the 60 is in your blood, then you bleed rust. Really, check your drip rails for cracks, rear floor under the seats where the body mounts are, the front floor pans, the windshield welt sealing area, the rear shock mounts(again), the open C-channels at the back of the frame, lower doors and rear quarters, the rocker trim, yeah, expect problems. Also, look for those stupid splice connectors that optimistic electrical geniuses may have had their go. Mechanical stuff is cheap(😆). Body work and paint is another story. Expect and be ready accept some rust issues and don't put them off for too long. Also, the tailgate is prone to rust. Basically, you are about to get married so hope your heart is in it. I have "no regrats" but it's always on my mind and "just another $5k and it will be about there" is a sign of being positive. But as far as cults go, you are joining the best one. 😁
Wagon Power!

Hey gents,

I finally have the pictures of the rig for your review. I am scheduled to return for further inspection of the rig this Saturday (8/7) So if you all may end up having requests of pictures for me to take, I can get that done. I did not get to test drive it today as I was in a rush. That rust on the rear driver side is what it is haha. Again, I was not wanting a angel, but something I can use without feeling bad. But, relay on.

Further updates
  • The repairs the mechanic made were for prevention according to him. Quote "all the work was done to make the vehicle better and more reliable and usable on a day to day level"
  • He did start her up for me. Seemed to turn over "fine" (from what my non-experienced self can deduce) Maybe a slight "pop-ish" sound upon turning over?
  • AC blew cold
  • Left rear passenger door kinda would get stuck upon opening (It got stiff at a certain point in the swinging open)
  • Seemed to idle just fine (but again, to me it seemed this way. I am a inexperienced with mechanics)
  • Engine revved and no leaks seemed to occur/strange sounds
  • He again stated that he has just been driving the rig around town himself for the past 3 years. All the repairs he made (which are stated in the thread) have about 3k on them at this point.

20210805_105404.jpg

20210805_105425.jpg

20210805_105449.jpg

20210805_105516.jpg

20210805_105537.jpg

Admittedly I'm Aussie and we rarely get rust like that over here, but no way at 15k and probably unlikely at 5k...Rust is like an iceberg, you can see ~30% of it.

Incidentally, if the gearbox/transfer was just rebuilt, why's there oil on the crossmember?

Wait, what. $15k? You meant $1.5k right? No one in their right mind would pay $15k for that. No one out of their mind would pay $15k for that.

See now, there we go. The truth is revealed. I can see why he didn't want to send photos. These sorts of posts always come across as dream crushing, so preemptive apologies there. Not the intent. There are just too many good examples of 60 Series Cruisers out there that don't have that sort of rot to deal with it. I am not sure how many of these you have gone and looked at OP, but if this is the first one, keep looking. You will find something in much better shape than this one. Seller has a lot of money in this truck and is likely just trying to get it back. I am sure even he knows its gonna take some work to get back. Its only 15K if you hand him the cash. Don't let the alleged rarity of these trucks lull you into buyer's remorse. They are out there but you may have to work to get one.

all the work was done to make the vehicle better and more reliable and usable on a day to day level"

Not sure about you but I wouldn't feel comfortable in a truck I knew showed that sort of rust regardless what was done to it mechanically. Admittedly, rust is just my Kryptonite when it comes to these beasts and I just do not have the knowledge, skills, or experience to properly tackle it. But the good news is I don't have to because there are again so many clean examples out there for me to ever consider a truck like this. Having said that I have seen folks on this forum tackle far worse so it can be done. Just won't be by me. Someone with more skills will feel differently here. But in any case, there isn't a reality where I would consider this a 15K truck. If you could get it for $5K (unlikely), then maybe you have something there.

Perhaps, another example would help here. How about this one from our own mud Classifieds:

Bit of a drive but worth it if it keeps you from making a mistake and save yourself $3000 in the process. A drive with a new FJ60 purchase is a fun trip which allows you to learn a lot about your new vehicle.

Or how about this:

or maybe this:

See a pattern?

Check out the classifieds here if you haven't already. GLWS and HTH.

Last edited:
I feel truly blessed to live where there isn't rust like that. I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix something like that. I hope you can find a cleaner example so that you can put money into making it better instead of just repairing all the damage that is already done. Good luck with your hunt, be patient And you will be rewarded.

See now, there we go. The truth is revealed. I can see why he didn't want to send photos. These sorts of posts always come across as dream crushing, so preemptive apologies there. Not the intent. There are just too many good examples of 60 Series Cruisers out there that don't have that sort of rot to deal with it. I am not sure how many of these you have gone and looked at OP, but if this is the first one, keep looking. You will find something in much better shape than this one. Seller has a lot of money in this truck and is likely just trying to get it back. I am sure even he knows its gonna take some work to get back. Its only 15K if you hand him the cash. Don't let the alleged rarity of these trucks lull you into buyer's remorse. They are out there but you may have to work to get one.

Not sure about you but I wouldn't feel comfortable in a truck I knew showed that sort of rust regardless what was done to it mechanically. Admittedly, rust is just my Kryptonite when it comes to these beasts and I just do not have the knowledge, skills, or experience to properly tackle it. But the good news is I don't have to because there are again so many clean examples out there for me to ever consider a truck like this. Having said that I have seen folks on this forum tackle far worse so it can be done. Just won't be by me. Someone with more skills will feel differently here. But in any case, there isn't a reality where I would consider this a 15K truck. If you could get it for $5K (unlikely), then maybe you have something there.

Perhaps, another example would help here. How about this one from our own mud Classifieds:

Bit of a drive but worth it if it keeps you from making a mistake and save yourself $3000 in the process. A drive with a new FJ60 purchase is a fun trip which allows you to learn a lot about your new vehicle.

Or how about this:

or maybe this:

See a pattern?

Check out the classifieds here if you haven't already. GLWS and HTH.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I am glad to read them even though they suck to read.

Just to make it clear; I took those photos. The mechanic didnt take them and send them to me. The rig had not been parked out in front of his shop since I made this thread (I assume because he was driving it personally as he stated) I had to make a stop around the shop yesterday and saw it. So I just ran in real quick to snap some photos and talk to the guy personally.

The thing that sucks the most is that, I have only seen 2 FJ60's in person in 6 years. Idk if Missouri just doesnt really get them or what. I can find plenty online, but always in other states far away. I never find them at a local dealer/garage. And I have never bought a car via a private seller before. Is that process straight forward? Is this how most of you all bought your 60s?

The thing that sucks the most is that, I have only seen 2 FJ60's in person in 6 years. Idk if Missouri just doesnt really get them or what. I can find plenty online, but always in other states far away. I never find them at a local dealer/garage. And I have never bought a car via a private seller before. Is that process straight forward? Is this how most of you all bought your 60s?

Its how I bought mine. Spoke with seller, drove down to see it, thought about it for a few days, then agreed on a price over the phone, flew down and drove it back. Was a 400 mile trip but worth it knowing I got a great truck and got to know it some in the process. There is a certain leap of faith aspect associated with dealing with folks over email or phone but any truck you find of this vintage is gonna need some help so that to me lessens the pressure on you having to make a good choice. The key is to not let the want for one of these cloud good judgement. Its a definite commitment and you gotta be committed. Again, the notion of finding a for sale sign on the corner, buying it, and driving it away to live happily ever after without a care in the world in one of these trucks is not real. Its not trivial owning one of these but its greatly rewarding.

If the purchase/travel aspect of this endeavor is whats worrying you then one of these might not be the right fit. Find yourself as problem free a vehicle as you can regardless of where it is. Once found then make the commitment and get it. You can get a really sorted 60 for 15K.

This next bit will seem showy, but more trying to give examples of what's possible. Quick shots of mine the day after driving it home. Doesn't have H55 or a rebuilt engine, but nowhere near 15K pricetag and little rust:

IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG

Lots of work put into it since those days:

IMG_6018.jpg
IMG_4752.jpg

You will find the right truck. Have patience. GLWS and HTH.

Its how I bought mine. Spoke with seller, drove down to see it, thought about it for a few days, then agreed on a price over the phone, flew down and drove it back. Was a 400 mile trip but worth it knowing I got a great truck and got to know it some in the process. There is a certain leap of faith aspect associated with dealing with folks over email or phone but any truck you find of this vintage is gonna need some help so that to me lessens the pressure on you having to make a good choice. The key is to not let the want for one of these cloud good judgement. Its a definite commitment and you gotta be committed. Again, the notion of finding a for sale sign on the corner, buying it, and driving it away to live happily ever after without a care in the world in one of these trucks is not real. Its not trivial owning one of these but its greatly rewarding.

If the purchase/travel aspect of this endeavor is whats worrying you then one of these might not be the right fit. Find yourself as problem free a vehicle as you can regardless of where it is. Once found then make the commitment and get it. You can get a really sorted 60 for 15K.

This next bit will seem showy, but more trying to give examples of what's possible. Quick shots of mine the day after driving it home. Doesn't have H55 or a rebuilt engine, but nowhere near 15K pricetag and little rust:

View attachment 2751604View attachment 2751605

Lots of work put into it since those days:

View attachment 2751607View attachment 2751608

You will find the right truck. Have patience. GLWS and HTH.
You have a nice one there. So you got yours for around 15k?

I assume my guy is charging 15k due to his alleged work done.

For Sale - Orange CA, 1986 FJ60 -price adjustment- - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/orange-ca-1986-fj60-price-adjustment.1259300/#post-13986137 I was looking at this rig. However it seems pretty stock. Whereas my guy had already put so much work in. Do I need to concern myself over all the smog stuff and carbs?

So you got yours for around 15k?

Much less than that to purchase it. Admittedly it doesn't have a rebuilt engine, H55F and rebuilt transfer case, so there is that. But very low rust example, which I wanted for my aforementioned lack of skills with dealing with rust issues.

Last edited:
Much less than that to purchase it. Admittedly it doesn't have a rebuilt engine, H55F and rebuilt transfer case, so there is that. But very low rust example, which I wanted for my aforementioned lack of skills with dealing with rust issues.
I gotcha. Well let me ask this; Ignoring the rust on my rig, and considering all the alleged rebuild aspects, what would you say then about my rig?

@ObservrActual - The advice here was pretty good. Be prepared to travel and drive home something. Check the classified section and reach out to some owners. For ~$15,000 (or less) you could get something with a documented history and support from the group online. If you are concerned about your lack of mechanical prowess, take it to a reputable shop for a thorough inspection for the peace of mind. There are plenty of good machines out there. I have driven for a couple of days to get a machine I wanted, there are people in this forum that have driven a week. My last Land cruiser I bought, I had to wait a month for it to be shipped.

Take your time, investigate, enjoy the journey. You will learn a lot along the way! Best of luck!

I gotcha. Well let me ask this; Ignoring the rust on my rig, and considering all the alleged rebuild aspects, what would you say then about my rig?

Its a fair amount of work to do all that. And its kinda the holy grail of the kind of work being done on these rigs to keep them original. Its the kind of work I hope to do on mine someday. Not a trivial undertaking. Its just a shame its been done on such a crappy example. As I said before I would never feel good about that truck regardless of what's been done to it mechanically. That's just me. I'm a worrier. Last time I checked I think a correctly done 2F engine rebuild alone comes in at like 10K these days, maybe more now. Someone else can chime in on accuracy there as its something I have not kept up with too closely. So the work done might be approaching 15K. Not sure there.

It just seems to me a situation where the seller wanted to make it reliable, had some buddies and access to a shop to help him, poured money into it (maybe around 15K? :rolleyes:), realized that despite all the work it needs more, and now wants you to pay for it so he can get what he has in it back. Who did the work (sorry I didn't see where it was mentioned)? Why is he selling it? Are you interested in it solely because its close?

Ultimately this is up to you. If you feel good about it, then great that's all that matters. You have folks saying otherwise so I think you have your answer. GLWS and HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom