Looking for someone to Powder Coat wheels - MA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got 2 year old Mickey Thompson wheels on my 60 and let's just say the bright shiny alloy is dulling and wearing much more quickly than I had hoped. The crazy part is that I only drive the 60 on dry, road salt free days (ie. basically not all winter). They are pitted in places and have an overall dull appearance. I've tried various cleaners with limited success. In fact one cleaner actually left faint blue lines on the surface of the alloy.

So, I was considering getting them powder coated a darker color (grey?, maybe even black). I kind like the look of darker wheels - so I'm curious what my options might be.

Can anyone recommend someone within a 50 mile range of MA South Shore (Rt3 corridor) who has experience powder coating wheels?

Thanks!
Jason

Are they coated or are they bare aluminum? It sounds like they're bare aluminum. If they are, no cleaners are going to remove the oxidation and pitting. They'll have to be polished periodically with an aluminum polish available at any auto parts store.

The basic procedure for alloy wheels is to first media blast the wheels. Then they should out gas them. And then finally spray them and bake them.

The purpose for out gassing is to heat up the alloy so any air that might be within the casting is expanded and pushed out. Not doing this prior to spraying can give a rough finish because that gas would expel during the baking process and bumble the powder coating.

Most shops have a few on hand colors and if one of those is acceptable then that is the cheapest option. Wanting a color that is special order will further increase the cost.

Lane bought some tires from be that I had powder coated. They were blasted,out gassed and sprayed with an in stock silver at 50.00 a wheel. They came out very nice.

The basic procedure for alloy wheels is to first media blast the wheels. Then they should out gas them. And then finally spray them and bake them.

The purpose for out gassing is to heat up the alloy so any air that might be within the casting is expanded and pushed out. Not doing this prior to spraying can give a rough finish because that gas would expel during the baking process and bumble the powder coating.

Most shops have a few on hand colors and if one of those is acceptable then that is the cheapest option. Wanting a color that is special order will further increase the cost.

Lane bought some tires from be that I had powder coated. They were blasted,out gassed and sprayed with an in stock silver at 50.00 a wheel. They came out very nice.

Thanks for explaining the details. Who did the powder coating for you? Do you have the contact info?

They do look really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom