Wanted Looking for some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Looking at an FJ62 guys asking 24k and this is my first one which is why I’m posting. My plans are to use it as a daily driver during the winter months and a cruise around town vehicle the rest of the year. He says it’s got an engine replacement approx 160k ago, and a replacement tranny in 2006 I believe. My plans are for it daily commute will be approx 60 miles for 3-4 months then 60 miles a couple times a week. Does anyone know the vehicle? It looks really good and is clean from everything I have seen. What is your experience using these as a partial daily driver? Not worried about mpg, speed, etc… thanks for all of your time and help!

1990 FJ62 Land Cruiser walk around - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdxwuhbBPM

1990 FJ62 Land Cruiser 4WD operation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvc9DyONF0g

I don’t know that rig specifically vin wise but I can speak for the daily driving. I have an FJ62 that I daily drive and have been for almost 3 years now. I’ve only been stranded once because I hadn’t changed the belts since I bought it and one snapped that connected to my water pump so it started overheating. But that wouldn’t have occurred if I had replaced the obviously old belts haha and was an easy fix! I’ve done a lot of routine maintenance on mine from oil changes to inspecting old parts etc. They are very very slow, and def a tougher car to commute in IMO as they accelerate slow, people get mad and so on but it’s way more fun than a modern vehicle! If you stay up on oil changes and check fluids, you shouldn’t have any issues!

If you are seriously thinking of buying this 62 or any others take it by the dealer and have them do a pre buyers inspection. That’s money well spent in my opinion. 👍🏼 Check for rust in the rain gutters, bottom of doors and in the tailgate.

Don't know the vehicle but I am flabbergasted at the price of these old 60 series trucks. I get it, supply/demand, everyone grew up with one and now they have money and driving the price up, yada yada yada. I've pissed multiple tens of thousands into the wind on vehicles over the years so I know sometimes its about emotion and not reason, but you can buy twice the vehicle for almost half the price (100 series landcruiser or a Lexus GX series), unless you got money to burn on a 60 series and its just a toy.....

I agree with both replies. truck looks good overall. curious to see the condition of the undercarriage.

your avatar says you're in tacoma...but not sure what state/where this truck is being offered.... if it's a pacific NW truck that spent it's whole life here - and has been well maintained and has zero rust - you might be looking at a good rig.

what's the total truck mileage? every rig has a story - but the fact that it needed an engine - and a transmission is a little bit odd. makes one wonder why the original failed? poor maintenance? i'm at 300,000 on original engine - good compression across all 6 cylinders and acceptable oil consumption for the miles....so it's worth knowing how/why/when the original stuff went bad to warrant a replacement.

there will be some rust - it's over 30 years old...but hopefully you're not buying a cancer victim.

** thoughts on using it for a daily driver **

this truck is the twin to mine - I daily drive my 88 - i swapped out the automatic for an H55F 5-speed. LOVE IT!!! (the automatic SUCKS!!!)

but i agree with @thecadefire they're kind of a handful for daily driving in the city. and with gas being what is right now - 60 miles / day - you're gonna be spend a very large sum of money on fuel every week.

22 gallon tank
average fuel (tacoma area) $4.00 / gallon
$80 bucks / tank
if you're getting 15Mpg (which would be good for highway - not sure what kind of driving you're doing - but 60 miles per day - you're likely out on the highway?)
if you have any grades to climb or spend any time in stop-N-go you can kick that 15Mpg down to 12 ish = maybe even as bad as 10Mpg)

so - if you start out monday with a full tank of fuel @ $80.00 - and you drive 60 miles / day - you're kinda starting to have range anxiety and/or looking for a pump on thursday.

still - i love my FJ62 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Daily drive mine for the last 5 years. 60 miles daily before COVID. FJ60 though so slightly different. Its not the easiest thing in the world to daily drive and they take a ton of time and effort to keep right. But I somehow make it work (combination of flexible schedule, understanding boss, and COVID work from home). Most of my issues have been carb related which wouldn't apply to you. Can't say I'd recommend it as a daily, but I am living proof it can be done. The engineering is reliable but the parts are quite old by now. You will likely spend a lot of time waiting on parts for it keeping it sidelined some. Not sure that's considered reliable or workable in your situation. Hopefully you have some mechanics skills. You'll need them to own one of these things. They are not just get in and go trucks at any price. Even the BAT super trucks need something. And you will likely go broke having someone else work on them. Looks like a solid truck from what little is in the video but right away might need a windshield. Look into the challenges of getting one of those to maybe give some idea of what routinely sourcing parts for it might be like. Depending on where you are, the winter driving might be the last thing you want to be doing in one of these. Unless treated they will rust away doing that. I live in the south so I have no issues driving it daily as there is no salt to contend with in Winter and it never snows here anyway. That price is more than I would do, but hard to get around these days. Just part of the deal. GL and HTH.

Edit: The gas situation @Paul DiNapoli lays out has been exactly my experience. Gas is a little cheaper here but still adds up. I drove a 62 once and it almost made me turn away from cruisers altogether. Auto sucks:

o6z8Xbg.png

I don’t know that rig specifically vin wise but I can speak for the daily driving. I have an FJ62 that I daily drive and have been for almost 3 years now. I’ve only been stranded once because I hadn’t changed the belts since I bought it and one snapped that connected to my water pump so it started overheating. But that wouldn’t have occurred if I had replaced the obviously old belts haha and was an easy fix! I’ve done a lot of routine maintenance on mine from oil changes to inspecting old parts etc. They are very very slow, and def a tougher car to commute in IMO as they accelerate slow, people get mad and so on but it’s way more fun than a modern vehicle! If you stay up on oil changes and check fluids, you shouldn’t have any issues!

If you are seriously thinking of buying this 62 or any others take it by the dealer and have them do a pre buyers inspection. That’s money well spent in my opinion. 👍🏼 Check for rust in the rain gutters, bottom of doors and in the tailgate.

Here the BAT auction that was posted over with now but has a ton of details. Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! Keep them coming the price is insane To me as well but seems Like a good deal in this insane market we have currently. I don’t see it slowing much.

Here the BAT auction that was posted over with now but has a ton of details. Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! Keep them coming the price is insane To me as well but seems Like a good deal in this insane market we have currently. I don’t see it slowing much.

wow... that undercarriage/frame looks great. and that paint work looks decent enough - so it was bid to $18,500 ON 1/5/22, and seller is asking for $24K.
that doesn't seem too bad for a truck that looks like it's in decent condition.

at 300K miles there's easily another grand or 2 that you'll spend on various stuff....maybe you can find a list of things that have not been done (going over the records) and find a way to split the diff between 18,500 and 24,000

wow... that undercarriage/frame looks great. and that paint work looks decent enough - so it was bid to $18,500 ON 1/5/22, and seller is asking for $24K.
that doesn't seem too bad for a truck that looks like it's in decent condition.

at 300K miles there's easily another grand or 2 that you'll spend on various stuff....maybe you can find a list of things that have not been done (going over the records) and find a way to split the diff between 18,500 and 24,000
Great thought!

he was offering it to me for $22K. I was the high bidder on it on BAT and was in discussion to buy it and someone got a deposit to him before I did. I hope it works out for whoever ends up with it.

he was offering it to me for $22K. I was the high bidder on it on BAT and was in discussion to buy it and someone got a deposit to him before I did. I hope it works out for whoever ends up with it.
Ya I lost it too. I had to have it shipped to Washington and we were talking. There’s a 60 on BAT with a salvaged title. Was on sale in here it’s pretty low right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom