Looking for AHC shock spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They’re just shock extensions which I see advertised in other places on the ‘net. If the specs are the same I don’t see a reason to buy the fancy Japan 4x4 stuff.

stedman@japan4x4.com was the email contact for several years. They show up in the suspension classifieds here every now and then. @Trinny has some listed as sale pending.
They've been sold, and listing updated. But, I purchased them recently from Dave Stedman at the email listed above, so reach out and I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Shock extensions or rear coil springs spacer/packer?

Have you dropped/relocated your lower control arm and changed the spindle arm to warrant an AHC damper because it now has limited droop or downward travel?

Have you dropped/relocated your lower control arm and changed the spindle arm to warrant an AHC damper because it now has limited droop or downward travel?
I questioned this in my head as well, but didn't reply since I feel a bit like I'm becoming a wannabe gatekeeper of AHC.

Anyways, yeah, I'm wondering if shocks spacers are the next required step or maybe @thomkat is jumping from step 1 to step 5, unaware that there are some alternatives available to get a little extra height out of AHC.

I questioned this in my head as well, but didn't reply since I feel a bit like I'm becoming a wannabe gatekeeper of AHC.

Anyways, yeah, I'm wondering if shocks spacers are the next required step or maybe @thomkat is jumping from step 1 to step 5, unaware that there are some alternatives available to get a little extra height out of AHC.
We used the the strut extensions when we lift tacoma/hiluxes back in the day when we use 4”-10” with a lift kits (similar with the GMCs and Fords). The ahc shock extension has the same concept, and that is for the total shock length to keep up with the clearance that the lift generated - if the customer intends to re-use the existing strut assembly (of course vertical travel remains the same).

I have seen here on mud too an LX570 build in Colorado who used the same concept and fitted a 37” tire and retained the 570’s AHC by using the strut spacer/extension.

I have a full set of new Japan 4x4 spacers I’m going to sell If you’re still looking.

Bumping an old thread, does anyone have an old/extra set of the front shock spacers laying around before I email Japan4x4?

I was thinking about putting a spacer on top of the hydraulic shock of 3/4 of an inch, what I’m trying to accomplish is more droop. Adding spacers to an AHC shock either the top or bottom is not going to lift the vehicle at all, since that’s regulated by the height sensors. I’m on the fence about a Diff Drop along with a spacer to maximize droop … but leaning at least towards the spacer. If I can squeeze out an entire inch additional drop, I’ll be a happy camper. My UCLA’s will not contact the hydraulic shock, and the angle of the axles will only be about 19° at full droop. I don’t think that all I have any issues with the axles binding just at an inch more - but that’s why I was thinking about a diff drop to bring that angle of the axle back to spec.

I was thinking about putting a spacer on top of the hydraulic shock of 3/4 of an inch, what I’m trying to accomplish is more droop. Adding spacers to an AHC shock either the top or bottom is not going to lift the vehicle at all, since that’s regulated by the height sensors. I’m on the fence about a Diff Drop along with a spacer to maximize droop … but leaning at least towards the spacer. If I can squeeze out an entire inch additional drop, I’ll be a happy camper. My UCLA’s will not contact the hydraulic shock, and the angle of the axles will only be about 19° at full droop. I don’t think that all I have any issues with the axles binding just at an inch more - but that’s why I was thinking about a diff drop to bring that angle of the axle back to spec.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to add a spacer to the top of the shock based on how it's constructed. The way the hydraulic lines attached to the top of the shock would require some custom made parts to both mount the shock to the shock mount, and mount the hydraulic hose to the shock.

On the front, it really is easy to add droop by adding a spacer at the bottom of the shock, where it mounts to the control arm. I started with the Japan 4x4 spacers, but wasn't thrilled with them since their size allows the CV boot to contact the spacers at large steering angles. I eventually took them apart and just welded a piece of them onto the top of the shock mount on the control arm.

This is actually too much extra imo but it's very close to correct. On the driver's side only, the UCA just touches the mount at full droop. When I replace the LCAs eventually, I'll weld similar extensions onto new arms with very slightly less height difference. Remember the motion ratio here - I added about an inch of extra height at the shock mount, but that translates to something more than an inch at the wheel. Also, I get pretty drastic toe-in at full droop now as well - the steering rack is outside its happy zone for sure.

1679943097275.png

I am thinking about that now ... time for new LCA bushings for me so I might buy some new LCAs that come with all the bushings etc ... then I can take it to a fab shop and have them cut off the factory lower shock mount and put a 3/4" plate there and then reweld the factory mount. I wonder if you could ... move the mount inboard or outboard ever so slightly if that would have any positive effect. Unlikely but from your experience I wanted to table the idea. If I could find a fab shop that could make LCA's but two inches wider/longer I would have them fab UCAs and then a custom axle that is also longer ... build a coil over AHC shock like the 200 series with custom buckets ... but ... I will keep it simple and just try and squeeze an extra inch of droop at the wheel. That will make me happy.

I am thinking about that now ... time for new LCA bushings for me so I might buy some new LCAs that come with all the bushings etc ... then I can take it to a fab shop and have them cut off the factory lower shock mount and put a 3/4" plate there and then reweld the factory mount. I wonder if you could ... move the mount inboard or outboard ever so slightly if that would have any positive effect. Unlikely but from your experience I wanted to table the idea. If I could find a fab shop that could make LCA's but two inches wider/longer I would have them fab UCAs and then a custom axle that is also longer ... build a coil over AHC shock like the 200 series with custom buckets ... but ... I will keep it simple and just try and squeeze an extra inch of droop at the wheel. That will make me happy.

Your plan to customize new LCAs is exactly what I'll do when I replace the LCAs, bushing, and ball joints.

There is someone on here who built his own custom long-travel IFS, using a custom-designed lower subframe with stock LCAs, extended UCAs, rewelded/extended CV axles, and heim joint outer tie rods. Super cool project.

There was also someone (in Russia, I think?) who put together a coilover shock setup for the front end of his 100 using some pretty narrow OD springs.

Both cool projects....both far more effort and cost than I want to put in!

I have this exact question in my head......same suspension travel range...decreased shock length....why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom