Wanted Looking for a late model 40/45/47 or 70 series rear axle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sold a few months ago. FJCO has adapters to bolt 8/80-later rear brakes to a 6-bolt housing. You could also narrow a 60 housing.

It sold a few months ago. FJCO has adapters to bolt 8/80-later rear brakes to a 6-bolt housing. You could also narrow a 60 housing.

Yes I'm aware

That looks like a lot of money for an adapter with no instructions or technical support. Seems like would need custom inner axle shafts that are longer and would need to keep the bearing race in the same location compared to the diff. Would still uses the C clips. Then have to source backing plates/brakes and hand brake cable which is the biggest advantage of the 8/80+ axles. A lot of money and work to end up with a semi floating rear axle.

That looks like a lot of money for an adapter with no instructions or technical support. Seems like would need custom inner axle shafts that are longer and would need to keep the bearing race in the same location compared to the diff. Would still uses the C clips. Then have to source backing plates/brakes and hand brake cable which is the biggest advantage of the 8/80+ axles. A lot of money and work to end up with a semi floating rear axle.
Similar thoughts, I'd be interested to see how it changes or doesn't the width of the axle. IF it does infact change it, then it's not even a last resort option.

Roma,

Just curious on what your end goal is with this path. Rear drum with ebrakes?

Thanks
Ernie

Similar thoughts, I'd be interested to see how it changes or doesn't the width of the axle. IF it does infact change it, then it's not even a last resort option.

It may not require new inner axles. The backing plate may be offset to make up thickness of adapter. Do have some early 70s backing plates and 8/80+.backing plates to compare. But I would be interested in this conversion. No.manuals or technical support makes me.womder why. Liability?

It may not require new inner axles. The backing plate may be offset to make up thickness of adapter. Do have some early 70s backing plates and 8/80+.backing plates to compare. But I would be interested in this conversion. No.manuals or technical support makes me.womder why. Liability?

I would be shocked if they require new axle shafts.

Yes, I don't want to install a drum parking brake on an h55.

Keep in mind not all 8/80+ 40 series rear axles have a drum hand brake. Have a HJ47 rear axle without a hand brake.

I would be shocked if they require new axle shafts.

Years ago bought a set of 67 axles locally that I split with a mudder back east. The seller could have used these adapters. When I picked up the axles he asked if I wanted a box of parts. In the box was some fine spline lockout hubs, Super Winch I believe. Plus all the brakes for a 8/80+ rear axle. That included backing plates and hand brake parts. Comparing one of these backing plates to a early seventies backing plate. The offset between the two looks like these adapters would work without new inner axles. Still seems like a lot for two blocks of machined aluminum.

Keep in mind not all 8/80+ 40 series rear axles have a drum hand brake. Have a HJ47 rear axle without a hand brake.

Years ago bought a set of 67 axles locally that I split with a mudder back east. The seller could have used these adapters. When I picked up the axles he asked if I wanted a box of parts. In the box was some fine spline lockout hubs, Super Winch I believe. Plus all the brakes for a 8/80+ rear axle. That included backing plates and hand brake parts. Comparing one of these backing plates to a early seventies backing plate. The offset between the two looks like these adapters would work without new inner axles. Still seems like a lot for two blocks of machined aluminum.

The brake parts (backing plates) are easy, same as 60 series which I have a few sets of. I've bought a few of these in the past (full float) from Australia and most of the 45/47s use the parking brake on the tcase while the bj42 have the integrated parking brake.

The brake parts (backing plates) are easy, same as 60 series which I have a few sets of. I've bought a few of these in the past (full float) from Australia and most of the 45/47s use the parking brake on the tcase while the bj42 have the integrated parking brake.

Didn't realize any 40 or 60 series parts were cheap or easy to find today. Even Australia prices are going up last few years according to people I know there. But everything from 1975 on is FF.

Hand brake on the split transfer case was only HJ47, BJ45 and 8/80+ FJ45. All short wheel and mid wheel base 40 series hand was in the axle including the 81/82 models that still had the three speed transmission and one piece transfer case. Just the long wheel base 40 seriee that had hand brake on the split transfer case.

Funny it's the 40 series 8/80+ that seem easier to find for me than the 60 series FF.

Long story. I picked up a 40 series FF in Central Texas back in September of last year very cheap.it was out of a 81HJ45 what I was told

It did not have the rear ebrake. I bought all the toyota backing and the ebrake parts from a 60 series and of course bolts up.

When I was getting ready to order the ebrake cable, then it was a hard realization that the axles housing was missing the two brackets. I as thinking I'll just copy them and weld them in. First pic below are the missing brackets. If some has a junk bent housing and would be willing to cut them off cleanly, it would be of interest

Screenshot_20220217-171707_Gallery.jpg

20211226_150247.jpg

20211231_151132.jpg

Long story. I picked up a 40 series FF in Central Texas back in September of last year very cheap.it was out of a 81HJ45 what I was told

It did not have the rear ebrake. I bought all the toyota backing and the ebrake parts from a 60 series and of course bolts up.

When I was getting ready to order the ebrake cable, then it was a hard realization that the axles housing was missing the two brackets. I as thinking I'll just copy them and weld them in. First pic below are the missing brackets. If some has a junk bent housing and would be willing to cut them off cleanly, it would be of interest

View attachment 2930013

View attachment 2930015

View attachment 2930019
Those brackets are easy. I made some and documented the process in the 75 build thread in my link.

I would encourage you to try to machine those in the US with current material prices for less. I'm surprised they even care to take the time to sell them. They even put the blueprints up for anyone to copy. No one will.
the only thing on a 8/80 rear axle that isn't available new is the housing. This solves that. Do you know where to buy 8/80+ rear axle housings in the US for <$500? I sold my 8/80+ axle for $1000 last year, but ended up refunding the buyer $500 because it needed everything replaced

Looking for a single wheel cylinder, 4 bolt backing plate rear axle in 40 series width. Full float or semi float is fine.
Just find ya a disc brake 70 series rear axle, move spring pads, bolt er in......Full float, uses common 80 series brake components, has the mini drum emergency brake....

I would encourage you to try to machine those in the US with current material prices for less. I'm surprised they even care to take the time to sell them. They even put the blueprints up for anyone to copy. No one will.
the only thing on a 8/80 rear axle that isn't available new is the housing. This solves that. Do you know where to buy 8/80+ rear axle housings in the US for <$500? I sold my 8/80+ axle for $1000 last year, but ended up refunding the buyer $500 because it needed everything replaced

Curious how much for all the 60 series brake parts from the backing plates out? I have three 8/80+ rear 40 series axles. Two FF and one semi floating. The three cost me $1K. This was in the last six twelve year range. 40 series is nothing new to me. Know nothing about diesel nor do I want too. But have pretty good idea on the rest. I seena part I know is rare I've bought. In most cases this was after it's been for sale for a.while.

Just find ya a disc brake 70 series rear axle, move spring pads, bolt er in......Full float, uses common 80 series brake components, has the mini drum emergency brake....

Curious how much for all the 60 series brake parts from the backing plates out? I have three 8/80+ rear 40 series axles. Two FF and one semi floating. The three cost me $1K. This was in the last six twelve year range. 40 series is nothing new to me. Know nothing about diesel nor do I want too. But have pretty good idea on the rest. I seena part I know is rare I've bought. In most cases this was after it's been for sale for a.while.
Parts are not cheap....if you exclude the drums and axle parts I think 4-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom