Looking for a definitive guide for Vortech conversion for 60s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jim's right on the money. the vortecs have gone thru a few upgrades and major design changes thru the years so there's no "one wat to do it". i've done a few and every single one is different than the last. these engines did come with standard transmissions behind them as well as automatics. i installed one with an NV4500 and it passed the ref the first time. don't let anybody tell you any different.
refs like to see clean work, they like to deal with somebody who's done their homework and understands the basics of the conversion at hand. of course they look for all the proper components to be installed above anything else. the last one i finished had to use headers. the woner brought the original manifolds with him to the ref to show why they could'nt be used and why we opted to install a smog legal set. passed the first time as well.

joey, if you plan on doing this swap, then do a lot of homework, come up with a complete parts list ( impossible but you'll get close ), plan out a budget and then purchase the parts. once you have the parts there and most of the sub-assembly done, start tearing into the rig.
i see far too many people who go out and get and engine "for a great deal", then they remove the existing engine. now they have a torn apart rig, an engine that won't "bolt in" and a lot of other parts to aquire and homework to do. that's a great way to set yourself up for major stress and failure.

hit me up if you have any specific conversion questions.

georg @ valley hybrids

Do y'all know of anyone that has done an I6 conversion? If so, do they like it? What about MPG?

Thank you.

I think a 4.3 might be reasonable, but I would rather have a V-8.

Anyone know the proper wiring setup ...moving from I-6 engine to 5.7 Vortec on the alternator....

What specific color wires on the LC go to what terminals on the CS130 and 140 GM alternator, also I suspect one needs to upgrade the wires due to the increase in amps?

The numbers look good, but at what RPM do they happen at?
I'm not convinced that it needs to happen at low rpms like the 2F, just that where the peaks do happen will determine gearing and the ideal type of use.

Powering both vehicles is the all-new, all-aluminum Vortec 4200 inline six. The 4.2L six uses dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, and a 10:1 compression ratio to produce 270 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 275 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm. The torque curve of the Vortec 4200 is very flat, with 90 percent of peak torque available between 1,600 rpm and 5,600 rpm.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/18038/index.html

Engine

Anybody know what transmission can be behind pre 1993 sbc and be smog legal in California.I have 85 and 86 tpi engines .I just picked up 1983 fj60.1988 thru 2002 700r4 is said to be a better transmission can I use it with earlier engine. Also does smog ref know between 305 or 350 roller cam engine just the short block. Year of ecm tells smog ref smog equiptment required on engine ???

The general method is to "match the configuration." If you're claiming a CA legal '85 TPI with an auto trans, then it needs to have all of the parts that the donor car would have had. Can not claim that engine configuration, but use a manual trans, or the other way around. Can't claim a manual trans engine config, but use an auto trans.

I do not think that pre OBDII ECU's have the original vehicle's info stored in them like the OBDII ECU's do. I could be wrong on that, but I've never seen a reference to that info being available in per OBD II ECU's.

It is frequent that older 700's are updated with later internal parts, or older 700's are outright replaced by a newer trans. Pretty much total interchangeability and the ref won't care about the year of the trans, just that it matches the claimed configuration.

If the ref is interested enough he or she can determine whether it is a 305 or a 350 if the OE marks are still legible and present. They have all of the necessary OE documentation needed to figure out what the engine is.

All of this also applies to OBDII swaps, they just have more requirements on top of these.

If you have a donor engine from a manual truck, can you use the stock manual trans, or do you HAVE to use the manual trans that came in the donor truck? I had assumed that as long as I found a manual donor, that any manual trans would pass with the ref... :hmm:

Yes, I know, I dug up an old thread. But I had to correct this for future searchers.

In CA, not only do you have to match the transmission to the engine, and have the replacement stuff the same age or newer--you also have to have the same vehicle type (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck). So you can't swap a truck engine in there because the fj is considered a passenger vehicle. This dramatically reduces the number of diesel swap possibilities too.

What I haven't found is either a guide to what exactly defines these categories, or a guide to which automobiles are in each category.

Again, sorry for digging up a zombie post, but I wanted to make sure this was clear.

Passenger car and light duty pick-ups (1/2 tons) (& presumably 1/2t vans) are, or were, one classification. Anything goes within all vehicles of the same type so long as the age restrictions are met.

3/4ton & heavier pick-ups (& again presumably vans) are "Heavy Duty" classification. Can install a Light Duty engine in an HD truck because the emissions requirements are tighter for the LD engine. Can not install a HD engine configuration in a LD vehicle.

Interestingly both my 3/4t '79 Suburban and my '91 1/2t Suburban are considered "passenger cars" making them both LD classified vehicles.

Diesels are currently a gray zone. I've not heard of the gasser swap laws being rigorously applied to diesel conversion/swaps, but that is coming I'm quite sure.

Question

I own a (fed) 1986 fj60 and I want to keep my 4 speed.
I know I need to find a doner truck with a manual trans
that is newer then 1986.
My question is can it be a (fed) doner truck with all the
stock smog equipment or dose it have to be a CA. doner truck?

Yes, I know, I dug up an old thread. But I had to correct this for future searchers.

Again, sorry for digging up a zombie post, but I wanted to make sure this was clear.

No problem on the thread resurrection. I am going to put this thread into FAQ.

:)

I'm not sure on the Fed vs. CA thing, but all that's really necessary is that you have a VIN from a manual transmission'd truck with the engine you are swapping in. In my case, I just purchased a 5.7 Vortec from a dismantler, and if I decide to keep the truck registered in CA (I'm a displaced OR military member) I'll need to have the computer programmed to the specs of the VIN that I mentioned. The referee wants a VIN he can plug into his computer and know what he's looking for during the visual inspection. As with everything else in this process, it is not in writing that I've seen this. I've had conversations with many a shop/individual who have done these swaps over the last few months.

Sorry I couldn't answer your original question, RAMZ, but if I decide to subject myself to the process, I'll be sure and let you know how it goes.

I own a (fed) 1986 fj60 and I want to keep my 4 speed.
I know I need to find a doner truck with a manual trans
that is newer then 1986.
My question is can it be a (fed) doner truck with all the
stock smog equipment or dose it have to be a CA. doner truck?
Which configuration is your FJ, CA or Fed? Most likely you can put either in a Fed, but only a CA in a CA.

it is out of NEW MEXICO. and has a but load of smog $h*t on it.
I put my 86 fj60 next to my friends CA. fj60 and every thing looks the same.
my fed. truck has all the same equipment that his CA. 60 has?

On this topic, Jim do you offer any type of tranny pan that allows you to run a cv driveshaft with the 4l60e? When I went in to have a 2 cv shaft sized I noticed I'm going to have to either modify my pan or purchase one that is made in a way that I can fit the shaft.
I offer the miniturized Spicer front output u-joint/slip yoke kit because that's about the only thing that will work. There is some linkage about 1/4" inside the tranny oil pan that will prevent you from modifying the oil pan even 1/4". Anything larger, single or double just won't work---sorry!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom