Looking for a definitive guide for Vortech conversion for 60s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I were to do a swap tomorrow...probably would be a 5.3 or 6.0 with matching GM auto transmission...

I would have to say I'm not a fan of the fuel injection "spyder" on the 5.7 vortec...I did upgrade mine...but it still is a piece of work. It just happens to be what I have.

Last edited:
Thanks Elbert and I am thinking of the 5.7 but would like a 5 speed and complete. Could go used on the engine so not set on new and $12K is my budget. What tranny would marry nicely with the 5.7 and match up with the drive? There are adapters and kits on line but will let the shop that does it pick....Tor has a great reputation any other mechanics closer to Colorado?

I don't have first hand knowledge of the shops out west...I'm sure someone will chime in. I would certainly listen to advice Georg at Valley Hybrids has to share and if I were in his area...he would be working on my stuff when I needed help.

I'm not the expert but... you should read through some of the engine swap threads here on this board...you can find them using teh search tool for "engine swap".

what you have to remember is the NV4500 is about the only manual 5 speed that I know of, that is used in trucks and certainly it mates to the 5.7 and I think it works with the 5.3 and 6.0 but others would need to confirm. If you run the GM v8 and H55 trans then you need an adapter to mate the gm engine with the toyota transmission. IF you go the other way and use a GM engine and gm transmission you need an adapter to mate with the toyota FJ60 transfer case if that's what you want to run. There are various other options but here is what I've seen the most of based on posting on this board.

GM 5.3 engine, GM auto transmission, advance adapter, FJ60 split transfer case.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your honest and expert advice. The 5.3 it is and i will be contacting you(pm) soon. All the other parts except the 4plus rear bumper have arrived or are in transit. Actually the 4Plus bumper shows as shipping Monday so may be here by next Friday. The guys at Bullhide 4X4 here in Ft Collins are on the ball and have helped a lot. They are familiar with the 5.3 conversion and want to do it but I want to explore a shop that just does the Cruisers. They specialize in Jeep stuff.

Thank you Elbert for your comments and that will solidify my choice of engines now for the tranny. Maybe i could live with the auto but really like the manual option and will talk with Georg about it. I really have to rely on you guys cause i do not have the experience or time to do it all myself and your comments cut down the research time. This forum is the best!

I've got a 3 inch notebook full of receipts and a parts list. If you would like a detailed list I would be happy to help you. I'm currently in the valley working. My rig is down here with me from San Francisco. If you would like to take a peek under the hood I would be happy to show you. It has passed thru the ref's and is now known as a 5.3 vortec with a 4l60e trans. It took me a two trips to the ref to get her done. drop me a pm if you want to hook up.
Hello Chino, I want to talk with you regarding doing a 5.3 4L60E conversion on my fj60 let me know if you are available to talk by phone. Thanks.

You are 1,000 percent right. You guys see me offer a freebie V8 instruction manual all the time here on Mud, and although it leaves any other V8 swap material far behind, I have always had to take each individual engine swapper by the hand and walk him through his individual conversion (normally in the area of electronics, VSS , and wiring harness).:hmm:
Hello Downey, I would like to have a conversation with you regarding a 5.3 4L60E conversion. let me know if it would be possible to talk by phone on this subject. Thanks.

@FJ6IXTY You might want to use the "@" character in front of the member handle to contact those two mudders....

@FJ6IXTY Just to let you know you are commenting on a 3yr old thread. Downey's shop is no longer open though he is still a cruiser enthusiast and active in the 40 section. Not sure who Chino is as I have not seen that name in a VERY long time.

There are a number of other vendors on the forums that do this for a living and have well known shops. Take a look at some of the more recent V8 swap threads for guys like @orangefj45, @NCFJ, @ACC Toyota, @cruiseroutfit and the likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom