Longfields & full time 4wd (premature wear) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read that longfields will wear prematurely cause they're softer than OEM birfs (well the cage/star is softer). Being that my 60 is my dd and I live in Alaska, my hubs stay locked in for 6 months. This last winter (some snow is still on the ground BTW ::)) I locked my hubs in on 11 Nov and finally unlocked them at the begging of April. Not quite 6 months but long enough. I'm running 33" and haven't broken a birf yet (knock on wood), but I want to carry spares. Especially now that I have a locker in the front. I'm thinking of getting a set of Longs for spares. When I break one, swap the broken OEM birf with a long. When I get home, I'll swap the non-broken OEM birf with the other Long. My only concern is the premature wear thing. Is premature wear only relative? As in they'll just wear faster than OEM bifs. Are they going to wear out in a year or less? What do you guys think?

hmmmm I know someone who asked that same question yesterday ;)

Why leave your hubs locked for so long? I've got a '40, and with a lockrite in the rear, I NEVER have to use 4wd on-road. I'm up in fairbanks, but from Eagle River...

I know a lot of people do that, but there's no real point. With a locker, you have all the traction you need. Just run the Longs with your hubs unlocked. If ever you hit a situation where you're stuck on the road (which should almost never happen, with how much salt and gravel they lay down in Anchorage), just jump out and lock the hubs. I don't think I had to do that even once up here on-road this winter, and I went up as many twisty, unplowed mountain roads as I could find. Just don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine.

Edit: Get studded tires, as well. 4wd only helps you so much to get going, but studs are very, very nice to help you STOP. I've got BFG Winter Slaloms, and while they look goofy as hell on a lifted '40, and my friends joke about it all the time, they all know that when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, they'd all do the exact same thing. It's a safety issue, and you just don't screw around when it comes to safety.

[quote author=Advent Horizon link=board=1;threadid=15280;start=msg144648#msg144648 date=1082834955]
Why leave your hubs locked for so long? I've got a '40, and with a lockrite in the rear, I NEVER have to use 4wd on-road. I'm up in fairbanks, but from Eagle River...

I know a lot of people do that, but there's no real point. With a locker, you have all the traction you need. Just run the Longs with your hubs unlocked. If ever you hit a situation where you're stuck on the road (which should almost never happen, with how much salt and gravel they lay down in Anchorage), just jump out and lock the hubs. I don't think I had to do that even once up here on-road this winter, and I went up as many twisty, unplowed mountain roads as I could find. Just don't drive like an idiot, and you'll be fine.

Edit: Get studded tires, as well. 4wd only helps you so much to get going, but studs are very, very nice to help you STOP. I've got BFG Winter Slaloms, and while they look goofy as hell on a lifted '40, and my friends joke about it all the time, they all know that when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is, they'd all do the exact same thing. It's a safety issue, and you just don't screw around when it comes to safety.
[/quote]

Sometimes the only way to get going is to have it in 4wd. Most of the time I put it in 4wd to get going at an intersection, then take it out once I get moving. It would probably help if I had studs as I have TSL's on it now. My heavy 60 is great in the snow otherwise. I plan on getting another set of MT's (maybe BFG or Radial IROK) and sipe/stud them. Although they won't be good as a true winter tire. I'm looking for both an on road and offroad winter tire. I've read that the IROK in the snow does awesome.

If you're getting another set of tires, I'm assuming you're getting another set of rims...In which case, just throw one set in the garage, and when you go 'wheeling, spend 20 minutes and just swap tires...

[quote author=Advent Horizon link=board=1;threadid=15280;start=msg144782#msg144782 date=1082857856]
If you're getting another set of tires, I'm assuming you're getting another set of rims...In which case, just throw one set in the garage, and when you go 'wheeling, spend 20 minutes and just swap tires...
[/quote]

That's another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom