backup light/4wd light wiring on my FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was trying to install a backup camera on my Wife's rig - 1984 FJ60 - and I discovered the reverse lights and 4wd indicator lights aren't connected.

I found the wire leads from the reverse switch and the transfer case switch. They have metal connectors but no plastic outer housing to mate to the wire harness.

I ordered an aftermarket reverse switch and the connector is nothing like the 1 connector i find on the frame rail.

This truck was converted to a ford 302/5.0 years before we came into possession and I'm wondering if maybe they swapped in an fj62 harness for fuel injection stuff or..?

The 4 wires coming from the connector on the chassis harness make me think this is a different connector than I should be seeing on an FJ60. Everything I read says it should be 2 similar or same plugs next to each other.
Also the red/blue wire coming from the wire harness appears to be the same wire color that goes into reverse lamps.

My reverse switch definitely won't connect and I want to get this "right" as best I can.

Anyone know what I'm looking at?

here are pics of what I have...

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

There’s a sub-harness that runs from that 4-pin connector to both the transmission and transfer case switches. Looks like you are just missing it.
Contact the used parts supplier of your choice for one and plug it in

Doesn't CruiserMatt sell the round connectors? And someone else, does too... One of the electric guys from the 40 forums, Coolerman maybe?

When i was fixing my 80 pickup at of folks suggested cutting out the Toyota connector and substituting this style, with however many connectors you need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C68N1JJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I was adapting an 85 trans to an 80 wiring harness. I eventually cut the connector off the 85 truck, even though I want to build it later.(hurt my soul)

Last edited:
All of the connectors on that subharness are available new (I have them in stock) and could build a new subharness however it would be more expensive then buying from a used parts supplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom