Intake manifold gasket - replacing starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I wanted to do a proactive maint and replace my starter. The gasket, I am not so sure I got the right one. On PartsOuq it says to buy 2x 17171-50030
This looks like a orange rubbery, flexible gasket material.

But I also see there is this part number 2x 17171-50020. It looks more like a solid piece of plastic.

I got a 2006 version so not sure it makes a difference. When I search online for videos, it usually shows the black plastic looking one, not the flimsy orange colored one, like this:

1710575739605.png

Does anyone know if there is a difference?

You have the correct (orange rubber) Intake Manifold (IM) gaskets, for 4.7L 2UZ-fe VVT. Which is in the 06-07. These have a black plastic IM.
The picture above is a 98-05 4.7L 2UZ-fe (2001 LX470).

This is a PM mod you'll want to do. Reading just first page alone. Will help you understand the differences, of VVT engine IM gasket and the S.A.I. system under it.

Thanks, good information. Yes Mine is the "special" 06-07 with the VVT. I'm going to check soon if my foam piece was sucked in. Didn't like very much they 'upgraded' the black intake manifold to plastic...

If your lucky, the foam filter (piece) in S.A.I pump (blower), is intact. But it will not last forever.

Last edited:
You'll also need the bypass tube O-ring at the back of the water pump and the 2 crossover pipe gaskets at the rear. And possibly the air hose coming off the air pump, will most likely be rock hard and split on you. Just did the job on a customer's 4runner yesterday. Hopefully rodents didn't chew your knock sensor wiring!

You'll also need the bypass tube O-ring at the back of the water pump and the 2 crossover pipe gaskets at the rear. And possibly the air hose coming off the air pump, will most likely be rock hard and split on you. Just did the job on a customer's 4runner yesterday. Hopefully rodents didn't chew your knock sensor wiring!
Good call on long S.A.I. hose. I too cut out, hard old ones.

Personally, I don't pull crossover pipe (O-ring bypass tube) or rear water bypass joint (2 crossover pipe gaskets) any more. Unless water bypass rear leaking. If pulling rear water bypass joint. The No1 & 2 switch gaskets, will also be needed.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the part number, for the O-ring's. I went on partsouq, and the one sitting behind the waterpump I can't find the right diagram, probably have to dig deep into the toyota manual.

For the Waterpump side, does anyone have this part number in red? I didn't buy a timing belt change kit, I bought every part individually for the challenge.... so need find this O-ring.
1710666567741.png

I also see I need one more O-ring that is 9676 135 035 for the water housing inlet.
I already got the Thermostat gasket.
I see I will also need to get some Toyota 103 FIPG to make a seal on the water housing inlet as well after removing it... I was wondering if Permatex Ultra Grey will suffice too as I have that and FIPG is expensive.....
If you guys see I'm missing any other O-rings and stuff lemme know....
1710666376256.png

Good call on long S.A.I. hose. I too cut out, hard old ones.

Personally, I don't pull crossover pipe (O-ring bypass tube) or rear water bypass joint (2 crossover pipe gaskets) any more. Unless water bypass rear leaking. If pulling rear water bypass joint. The No1 & 2 switch gaskets, will also be needed.
I assume you just remove the air valves off the crossover pipe?...seemed easier to me to just take the whole thing out! There's a lot in the way back there!

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the part number, for the O-ring's. I went on partsouq, and the one sitting behind the waterpump I can't find the right diagram, probably have to dig deep into the toyota manual.

For the Waterpump side, does anyone have this part number in red? I didn't buy a timing belt change kit, I bought every part individually for the challenge.... so need find this O-ring.
View attachment 3583904

I also see I need one more O-ring that is 9676 135 035 for the water housing inlet.
I see I will also need to get some Toyota 103 FIPG to make a seal on the water housing inlet as well after removing it... I was wondering if Permatex Ultra Grey will suffice too as I have that and FIPG is expensive.....
View attachment 3583903
I use ultra black all day long with zero issues. On my personal vehicles too....I never use fipig. I know, it's not the "toyota purists way" but it works!

Hi guys,

View attachment 3583904

View attachment 3583903
All stuff needed for under the intake:
Coolant pipe o-ring 96761-24019
Crossover pipe gaskets 16341-50020
Air pump hose 17342-50180

FIPG (Form in place gasket).
FIPG 103 is for oil (like oil pan).
FIPG 1282B is for coolant (like water inlet). Aisin has a smaller tube, that's equivalent, listed in their T-belt kits. Aisin AB120781 FIPG.

Using the wrong FIPG, may have chemical reaction with coolant. Which "may" damage bushing of water pump. Which "may" resulting in reduce life of water pump.

Absolutely do not use FIPG on O-rings or in place of O-ring. Doing so results on coolant pocketing in pockets created by FIPG. The trapped coolant will than become acidic, eating into metal pitting it.

Here's example of ones I've found FIPG used on O-ring:
IMG_6775.JPEG

After cleaning out FIPG, honing and polishing. Deeper pits, still remain. These pits will trap coolant and continue eating water bypass joints' aluminum.

IMG_1370.JPEG

The old O-ring was coated in, wrongly so, with FIPG, trapping coolant in pockets.
IMG_6778.JPEG

Note: Do not use excessive amount of FIPG on water inlet. Excess, may break away and flow into oil cooler, blocking it.
After cleaning pitting remained. This will like be a leaker. It to will trap coolant in pits.
IMG_6827.JPEG

Hi guys,

View attachment 3583904

View attachment 3583903
When Partsouq has "REFER To Fig 16-03". This is pointing you to another diagram (1603 radiator & water outlet) which may be on same category page (here's 07LX) like engine or another of same vehicle like electrical.

Tips to save time and parts:
For a starter/S.A.I service. You do not need to remove the water inlet. Nor the water bypass joints, front or rear. Nor the water cross over pipe O-ring.

You almost always need:
  • The long S.A.I. hose. (06-07 only
  • The starter single wire housing connector 90980-11400. (98-07)

If you remove water inlet. You'll need:
Large O-ring
FIPG 12182B.

If you remove water bypass rear. You'll need it's two gasket.
Plus the S.A.I. No.1 & No.2 switches gaskets. I do not remove either bypass unless leaking. (06-07 only)

You do not need to remove, the water cross over pipe. It will partially block, one of the four S.A.I pumps securing nut/studs. Simply place a 12mm socket on the nut. Than attach a slim 12"x3/8" extension to the socket which is on the nut.

Tip:
To install/remove nuts and bolts, that are deep in confined space and not possible to reach with fingers. Place a piece of electrical tape (vinyl) across open end of socket. Then press nut/bolt-head into tape-socket. The tape will stretch and bind the nut/bolt-head in socket. Another method is to use forceps to place/grab nut/bolt into/out of place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom