Long-term (hopefully) test of Treadwright tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping this will be a good and useful continuous review of my set of Treadwright tires. I'll update this thread as time goes on. Let see if it pays to try and save a few bucks and help a local business.

3/28/2017: Place an order for 5 of the Axiom 275/70/18. Chose the pick up option to save 10% (after some calculations that was a stupid choice)
3/29: Got an email with FedEx tracking #. What the hell, I thought I chose the pickup option. Checked the tracking number but all it said was label was sent to FedEx but no actual scan of shipment yet. Hmmm... Called Treadwright and left a message. No one called back all day.
3/30: FedEx tracking still showed the same message, that label was sent to them but nothing actually showed up on their system. Called Treadwright, couldn't get anyone, left another message that I am on my way to pick up. Took over an hour to get there and locate their facility. They have horrible sign placements. Their office operation are two small trailers in the warehouse. Talked to a guy about picking up my tires. He pulled up my invoice and walked me to shipping. They somehow sent my tires to FedEx. What the F. They won't give me the tires and said I have to wait for the shipment.
3/31: Tires showed up at the door. They look great. Got them mounted on some Tundra steel rims. Hope to put them on my LC 100 today or tomorrow.

4/24: Just got back from a 460 mile trip towing a 5K lb trailer and probably another 1K in passenger and gear. No issues whatsoever.

Treadwright.JPG

Last edited:
Im interested to hear how they work out in the past there were alot of bad reviews but I have heard recently they changed things up quite a bit in their quality control.

4/3: Got them installed on my 100. But before I put them on I took an unofficial weigh-in with my bathroom scale. The P265 on OEM rims weighed in at about 57 lbs. I then weighed the new tire on 18" steel Tundra wheel. 105 lbs! Ouch. Took it for a test drive up to about 75 MPH. Seems pretty solid and balanced. Road noise was surprising quiet. Just a tad more noticeable than the old set.

4/10: Just did a 200-mile trip on the freeway over the weekend. Tires did great. No problem with road noise or vibrations.

Did you use a dynamic balance machine or just static balance like they recommend on their website?

Did you use a dynamic balance machine or just static balance like they recommend on their website?

I didn't know anything about this (until I read up on it now) so I didn't ask. The machine looked fairly old and all the weights were placed on the front of the wheels so I am guessing it's the static balance.

Curious why you went with these as opposed to another brand with the dubious history and reviews?

I've never heard of them until about a couple weeks before I bought them. Found out they were a local company and they're helping the environment by recycling. Read up a few reviews - some good some bad, but most products get some bad reviews no matter what. So I thought I'd give them a shot. I just hope their product is better than their sales and customer service operations, which is a couple beat up trailers stuffed in the corner of their shop. No way I can work in that environment.

Any updates?

Any updates?

I now have about 2500 miles on the tires and they seem to be holding up great. Good handling and road noise is not a problem. I did realize that I cannot fit this size in the oem spare tire carrier. Unless I am doing something wrong.

I now have about 2500 miles on the tires and they seem to be holding up great. Good handling and road noise is not a problem. I did realize that I cannot fit this size in the oem spare tire carrier. Unless I am doing something wrong.

Thinking about a set of these, how have they been off road? Did you get them with the Kedge Grip option?

Thinking about a set of these, how have they been off road? Did you get them with the Kedge Grip option?

I did not get them with the Kedge Grip option. I also have not done any hardcore off-roading with them. I took the truck out to a spot near my house a couple times and it did ok in some mud. I am sure it will be fine on most trails just not sure about rock climbing or deep mud.

Yeah I just want something that will be a good hybrid between highway driving and basic trails. Not planning to do much mudding or rock crawling!

Yeah, I was doubting the decision particularly because my truck will see mostly highway miles and the damage from tread separation can be scary. Then I thought about how most people won't post about how their tires are working fine just when they have issues. I ran across an article about semi-truck tires and it was very telling that the findings indicate that retreads as just as good as new tires and the number one cause of tire failure is proper inflation as related to vehicle load. It also explains why people do not get satisfaction when complaining about a failure as the vendor probably assumes the carcass failure is related to user error.

New, retreaded tires fail at same rates - Tire Business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom