Long Range Tanks: I want to have my cake and eat it too (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try putting your spare in the rear cargo area. It takes up a ton of space, on top of the occupant safety concerns.

Maybe it's just because I have a trailer tailer rear bumper, but the swing arms haven't been an issue. I coach two travel softball teams and I have practice 5 days a week (sometimes 6) with those things being opened and closed probably half a dozen times a day. Is everyone just really that lazy or is @TRAIL TAILOR's product just that much better?

I have the RLC bumper, and as much as I want to eventually have the extra tank, I dread having that swingout, I haven't installed it yet. Plus, when my truck is in the garage at home, I wouldn't be able to get into the back drawers without opening the garage door, there's not enough room.

Try putting your spare in the rear cargo area. It takes up a ton of space, on top of the occupant safety concerns.

Ya, I swapped my wheels/tires to snows this weekend, and my spare is currently in the back. I know I'm an old out-of-shape guy, but I about had a stroke lifting that thing up on top of the ARB drawers. And ya, it really fills the space. I can't even imaging trying to get that up on the roof.

I had one in there last week, and agree that it takes up space, but not more than a full drawer system. If you designed a platform around it, with integrated storage, I think it could work. Of course, you'd make sure it was securely attached.

That spare in the cargo area all nice and new and clean.. but when you get a flat and the thing is all blown out and covered in mud .. not sure I'd want that in the cargo area.

I rarely use my can carrier swing out on my ARB, so I'm thing of deleting it and just using the tire carrier swing out.

I’m in the same dilemma. even the 16 is interesting to me, but I’m not sure a rock warrior with 285s will fit there with that tank, so I’ve been thinking through just Going for the largest tank I can fit and doing a hitch swing out.

for a temporary swing out, my BiL turned me to these guys:

ive not seen one in person, but I know the owner has a 200, so I assume they’d fit the drop down tailgate.
Anyone else able to get to this website? I get 404 error.

It was there yesterday!

Anyone else able to get to this website? I get 404 error.

I get a "Your connection is not private" warning (Chrome). So, not going there...

Another thought: when just doing day-to-day DD status, how often do you get flat tires? And, how often can those rare flats NOT be patched with a simple plug? Heck, my Miata doesn't even have a spare (took me awhile to get used to that). So, take the swingout off except for long or off-road trips, keep a plug kit and a compressor in the truck. Maybe even a AAA card.

That will probably be my solution.

Oops... except the TPMS light turns on if it can't find the spare. RATS!!:mad:

I get a "Your connection is not private" warning (Chrome). So, not going there...

Another thought: when just doing day-to-day DD status, how often do you get flat tires? And, how often can those rare flats NOT be patched with a simple plug? Heck, my Miata doesn't even have a spare (took me awhile to get used to that). So, take the swingout off except for long or off-road trips, keep a plug kit and a compressor in the truck. Maybe even a AAA card.

That will probably be my solution.

Oops... except the TPMS light turns on if it can't find the spare. RATS!!:mad:

Get a clone made of the spare TPMS and throw it into a pressurized PVC pipe to keep in the truck if the spare isn't around.

I’m inclined to agree however I am not willing to rule out a spare in the baggage area. Flight Medics setup looks pretty good but I would take it on step further and use a metal base plate with a 1500lb or 2k strap. The retracted OE seat weighs 62lbs+/- IIRC. IDK what the engineering stds are for crash that but let’s assume it’s near 26Gs. Let’s assume a mounted spare weighs 90lbs. I’d be willing to bet my life on a tire strapped to a plate mounted to the seats attachment points in a manor that could handle 8-10G. The biggest danger is running into something and getting your neck broken by the tire. You’d have to hit hard, the tire would have to break loose and then breach the rear seat. Possible? Yes. Likely? Way low IMHO if done like Flight Medic’s especially with a metal plate.

I did similar with a toolbox. It’s on 3/16 steel plate.

If I’m totally nuts please teach me...

7E7FF4CD-C71B-4F5E-98D3-8C4BB393F799.jpeg

BCC0EFE0-A4C4-4BF6-9368-085112829797.jpeg

Kinda reminds me of what truckers call "suicide coils". Agreed and I personally would never keep a tire within the interior. They off-gas. Stink. And are an eye-sore.
1574227861112.png

They off-gas. Stink. And are an eye-sore.

It boils down to personal choice. I respect your choice to not do this. Doesn't mean it is a bad idea.

Having actually had wheels in the compartment, I can tell you none of what you say is an issue in practice. At least in my experience.

Further, many, many vehicles have spares in the interior of the vehicle, covered by a thin mdf panel and carpet - like every hatchback and wagon I've ever been in...

Last edited:
Further, many, many vehicles have spares in the interior of the vehicle, covered by a thin mdf panel and carpet - like every hatchback and wagon I've ever been in...
Huh. Does make me wonder if that space (if any) beneath the rear cargo area could be modified.

You can make a rear deck without the center support and stick the tire in there. The weight and second row seats would hold it in or you can bolt it down using the rear cargo "D" ring mount . The bolt size is M6 1 X 60MM if you are using 1/2 in plywood.

IMG_20191115_160457136.jpg

Last edited:
Get a clone made of the spare TPMS and throw it into a pressurized PVC pipe to keep in the truck if the spare isn't around.

That's an idea worth pursuing. I'll have to also break down and get a device that can reliably reprogram the TPMS settings.

It boils down to personal choice. I respect your choice to not do this. Doesn't mean it is a bad idea.

Having actually had wheels in the compartment, I can tell you none of what you say is an issue in practice. At least in my experience.

I use to race cars and would have extra sets of tires in the interior for the track. Perhaps I'm sensitive, but tires stink. Tire shops stink. Newer tires especially. Large AT tires with lots of surface area stink more than smaller spare tires put away in a nice compartment. VOCs anyone?

To your point, there are nice covers that can be had to minimize the issue.

Yup. I'm sure if I went out and hopped in my truck right now, I would smell the outgas from the spare that is in the back on top of the drawers. But a simple zip-on vinyl cover would fix that, and would be the solution on having to stick a dirty/muddy flat back into the truck if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom