How long can I expect my 2010 LC to last (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2010 has 211K miles and drives great. Last time I had my oil changed the mechanic mentioned most 200 series LC last around 250K (maybe 300K) before major problems (chain, engine) start. Has that been the experience of others?

Welcome to Mud! Not sure if you’re just trolling or if that’s a real question. But, since you’re talking about your LC, it will depend a great deal on its history and how well it’s been cared for, plus where it lives. And on what you consider a major problem. So, if it’s a real question, pass along some more info.

Excellent question, major misconception spread on YouTube view hit collectors that it is a 500,000 truck and when you buy a 250,000 you have half life left.

According to various iseecars statistics and each year slightly different, there are 18.2 % land cruiser past 200,000 miles (or roughly 2 out of 10) and and 1.5% past 300,000 (or roughly 1.5 out of 100). According to that statistic alone, there is a giant cliff drop between 200,000 and 300,000 miles, your mechanic may be correct.

It also holds the first spot for cars on the road with most miles at both 200k and 300k, because of relative reliability and high cost of the car that it is worth a lot of repairs, but... Once it reaches higher mileage, drop in equity cost in the car vs costly repairs make it not worth it, just like any other car. They are great but not indestructible.

Last edited:
For engine/transmission related things, research 5.7L tundra longevity. For all intents and purposes those components are identical to our 200.

For suspension/chassis, understand (almost) everything on a 200 is built to a higher standard than a 4Runner/Tacoma/tundra/whatever Toyota. So looking at those as baselines would be useful.

Not there yet, as I only have about 70k on mine. But according to iseecars.com:

"Here is the short answer to how long a Toyota Land Cruiser will last:

The Toyota Land Cruiser will last on average between 250,000 – 300,000 miles if routinely serviced and properly maintained, although they can last longer. Based on driving 15,000 miles per annum, a Land Cruiser will last between 17 – 20 years before requiring expensive repairs or breaking down."

The typical YMMV but if you take care of it, it will take care of you absent a traumatic ending.

My wife's well-maintained 2003 Chevy Tahoe went 338K with no major repairs other than having the transmission rebuilt once. If we had not sold it, it would likely still be serving us well.

I would hope the 200 will last at least that long.

I think the useful life has more to do with the owner for most Toyota and Lexus models. If the owner wants to maintain them, they will last a very long time. A "good" owner can make a mediocre car last a long time but a "bad" owner can destroy a robust car in a few years. For me, the key is to fix things as they go and not let repairs build up or snowball on you. Unfortunately both dealerships and independent shops are CAUSING car owners to send good cars to the salvage yards because of the high cost of repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are being purposely over-charging for repairs, they have just created business models that require they sell every little repair as expensively as possible to keep the shop in the black. The business model they rely on makes the service writer the highest paid employee in the place. Automotive repair consultants are pushing high advertising expenditures to keep the business rolling in. They push 60% margin on parts so shop owners have to sell the cheap parts at almost the cost of genuine OE parts. The customer pays "Toyota" prices for "Dorman" parts which fail quicker. This shortens the life of the vehicle because the customer gets tires of paying for the same repair more frequently and starts seeing it as a money pit.

You spend that much on sales/advertising and crank up the margin that much, it shows that you aren't providing the most efficient repair to keep the customer's car on the road. Unfortunately, competition causes most shops to adopt this philosophy or go out of business.

Learn to fix your vehicle yourself and do all your own scheduled maintenance, a high quality vehicle like a Land Cruiser or an LX can go a very long time.

Learn to fix your vehicle yourself and do all your own scheduled maintenance, a high quality vehicle like a Land Cruiser or an LX can go a very long time.
This is great advice. Even if you don’t do 100% of the work you will have a much better idea of when a shop is trying to take advantage of you or not because you’re not completely uninformed. It has been my experience that the more work I’ve done the less likely I am to let someone else mess with my vehicle. There is nothing more infuriating than going in behind someone else’s shoddy work on your vehicle.

It helps to have owned some really crappy cars and turned wrenches on more occasions than I can count, it makes working on the cruiser fun.

My only concern is that we seem to be in a positive feed back loop. Everyone, myself included, is citing to the exact same iseecars article. Even the Forbes article is based on the iseecars article. I sure hope that iseecars is right.

My 2010 has 211K miles and drives great. Last time I had my oil changed the mechanic mentioned most 200 series LC last around 250K (maybe 300K) before major problems (chain, engine) start. Has that been the experience of others?
The 200 LC just hasn't been around long enough for many people to get 300k miles. Since 2008 you would have to drive 20k miles per year to hit 300k by now. Sure, some people do that, but it's way over the average mileage for drivers in the US (and you would have paid about as much for gas at this point than the Cruiser cost originally!). So of course mechanics aren't going to see many 200s over 300k. Mechanics aren't statisticians, their opinions are purely anecdotal and fraught with bias (mechanics by definition work on broken cars).

There's also simply unrelated reasons that cars leave the road: crashes, theft, disaster, rust. This will chip away at the number of Cruisers on the road from day 1, through no fault of Toyota.

As for the iseecars, it's inherently flawed as far as I can tell. Most of their "Cars Most Likely to Last 250,000+ Miles" list is just car models that have existed for a long time. The Land Cruiser has been around 70 years, of course it's going to have an advantage getting to 250k vs models that have existed less than 10 or 20 years. Especially considering the 100 series was the best selling by far (so a disproportionate amount of the total Land Cruisers ever made) and they are all around the age that any left on the road will be around 250k miles if they drove the US average number of miles per year.

Last edited:
Excellent question, major misconception spread on YouTube view hit collectors that it is a 500,000 truck and when you buy a 250,000 you have half life left.

According to various iseecars statistics and each year slightly different, there are 18.2 % land cruiser past 200,000 miles (or roughly 2 out of 10) and and 1.5% past 300,000 (or roughly 1.5 out of 100). According to that statistic alone, there is a giant cliff drop between 200,000 and 300,000 miles, your mechanic may be correct.

It also holds the first spot for cars on the road with most miles at both 200k and 300k, because of relative reliability and high cost of the car that it is worth a lot of repairs, but... Once it reaches higher mileage, drop in equity cost in the car vs costly repairs make it not worth it, just like any other car. They are great but not indestructible.
My sense is that the number doesn’t take into account how long it takes for the average person to rack up emough miles. These articles would be more accurate if they looked at the mileage for scrapped vehicles that were not wrecked.

Depends, do you live in a rust prone area? Regular maintenance and care will keep it operating for a very very long time. But rust can shorten its life in a big way.

Greetings All,

To me this is analogous to asking “how long will I live.”

There are three factors at play:

1. Genetics (or engineering in the case of a vehicle).
2. Exercise, nutrition, and regular medical checkups (environment, modifications, use, and maintenance).
3. Luck (unforeseen circumstances—for humans and vehicles).

Our Land Cruisers have the genetics. Everything else is up to the other factors.

Personally I’ll enjoy life and my Land Cruiser. At some point, the end will come for both.

Welcome to Mud! Not sure if you’re just trolling or if that’s a real question. But, since you’re talking about your LC, it will depend a great deal on its history and how well it’s been cared for, plus where it lives. And on what you consider a major problem. So, if it’s a real question, pass along some more info.
Thanks for the reply. I bought the LC here in Atlanta from Hilson Automotive, who bought it at an auction in Arizona. 1 owner before me in Arizona. Had 109K on it when I bought it in 2016. I've been diligent about servicing and have had only a couple minor repairs (radiator, blower in passenger AC). Just trying to understand what to expect now that I'm at 212K and if there any preventative measures I can take. When I got this LC it was 6-7 years old and was 37K. Today a 6-7 year old one with 109K seems closer to $65K so trying to decide if now is the time to sell or budget for a major repair

I think engine/tranny will last 600K+. My car has 280K and drives same as new. In another 10 years, electric hybrid land cruiser will replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom