Long range 24 to 40 Gallon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone swapped from a 24gal LRA aux tank to the 40 gallon tank?

I’d like to have a 40 gallon, currently have the 24 gallon..

Anyone want to downsize?

Has anyone swapped from a 24gal LRA aux tank to the 40 gallon tank?

I’d like to have a 40 gallon, currently have the 24 gallon..

Anyone want to downsize?
I went around in circles in my head debating which tank size to get. I had a sound argument for all three sizes. Ultimately I installed the 24. I’m my case, I decided against the 40 because I bash the underside of my truck on rocks a lot and I would almost never really need the extra 40 gal. After recently installing it, I still second guess if I picked the right one, though I think any of the 3 is way better than no aux tank.

What’s your reason for wanting to go to the 40?

I went around in circles in my head debating which tank size to get. I had a sound argument for all three sizes. Ultimately I installed the 24. I’m my case, I decided against the 40 because I bash the underside of my truck on rocks a lot and I would almost never really need the extra 40 gal. After recently installing it, I still second guess if I picked the right one, though I think any of the 3 is way better than no aux tank.

What’s your reason for wanting to go to the 40?

Purely extended range. More time between fuel stations.

Mines not a rock bouncer

1,000-mile range?

Purely extended range. More time between fuel stations.

Mines not a rock bouncer
What's your rear suspension setup? On a road tripping 200 I think I lean towards the 40. Even towing a trailer you only need a single fuel stop per day at the most. A rear swing out sound miserable though.

What's your rear suspension setup? On a road tripping 200 I think I lean towards the 40. Even towing a trailer you only need a single fuel stop per day at the most. A rear swing out sound miserable though.
wYes they are 90% of the time. You get used to it but what I miss the most is the ease of opening the top glass , reaching in and grabbing something. Also the space it takes to open a dual swing out. I can't open mine in my garage.

I have a swing out on my 80 and it is actually making me think of the 12.5 aux tank because its such a pita at times. Then again i like the idea of more range.... all the pros and cons.

I have a 40 gallon on my 200 currently, I probably would have opted for the 24 and will keep this opportunity in mind for the future if the notion hits to change.

Having had 3 different size LRA’s on different trucks, I understand every post, because there isn’t one great option, just 3 really good ones as I have likes and dislikes for each and each carrys a different trade offs.

The 12.5 for the 200.

It can be problematic with fuel smell, heat build up and eventually possible condensation under the cargo mat due to the close proximity of the cargo floor to accommodate the stock spare, all can be remedied (it took 3 tries with mine), but it has taken some trail and error from some talented installers to find the right combination. In real world usage it provides some relief from the poor fuel range of a stock 200, but at only an additional ~half tank you still have to be mindful of where and when you get fuel next.

The advantage is the spare still fits underneath which is a big advantage in my book.

The 24 or 40 for the 200.

Adds much needed range and a less challenging install, but creates a need for a solution with the spare if you don’t want a swing out, which I DO NOT and is what I am currently working through with one of the cargo drawer builders to create storage that will accommodate both the spare with other small storage areas and utilizing the top for interior sleeping platform.

The other difference in the 24 and 40 in my mind is the rear suspension setup especially without a loaded rear bumper, I currently have the heaviest OME’s to help accommodate the additional tank and fuel weight and am studying switching to different set up of a lesser spring and adjustable air bags after I determine what is needed to accommodate the spare and/or if I switch to a smaller LRA tank.

I don’t plan to wheel this truck in a way that the 40 gallon hangs down too far to be a concern, but that could be a point someone may consider if that is there goal with the truck. As a side note, I have the 24 gallon on my adventure 80 that sees some cool and challenging trails. I had a skid plate built for it, it doesn’t hang as low as the 40 gallon a 200 and I can’t tell it has yet to be impacted, but it could be an option for the 40 gallon.

I have a 40 gallon on my 200 currently, I probably would have opted for the 24 and will keep this opportunity in mind for the future if the notion hits to change.

Having had 3 different size LRA’s on different trucks, I understand every post, because there isn’t one great option, just 3 really good ones as I have likes and dislikes for each and each carrys a different trade offs.

The 12.5 for the 200.

It can be problematic with fuel smell, heat build up and eventually possible condensation under the cargo mat due to the close proximity of the cargo floor to accommodate the stock spare, all can be remedied (it took 3 tries with mine), but it has taken some trail and error from some talented installers to find the right combination. In real world usage it provides some relief from the poor fuel range of a stock 200, but at only an additional ~half tank you still have to be mindful of where and when you get fuel next.

The advantage is the spare still fits underneath which is a big advantage in my book.

The 24 or 40 for the 200.

Adds much needed range and a less challenging install, but creates a need for a solution with the spare if you don’t want a swing out, which I DO NOT and is what I am currently working through with one of the cargo drawer builders to create storage that will accommodate both the spare with other small storage areas and utilizing the top for interior sleeping platform.

The other difference in the 24 and 40 in my mind is the rear suspension setup especially without a loaded rear bumper, I currently have the heaviest OME’s to help accommodate the additional tank and fuel weight and am studying switching to different set up of a lesser spring and adjustable air bags after I determine what is needed to accommodate the spare and/or if I switch to a smaller LRA tank.

I don’t plan to wheel this truck in a way that the 40 gallon hangs down too far to be a concern, but that could be a point someone may consider if that is there goal with the truck. As a side note, I have the 24 gallon on my adventure 80 that sees some cool and challenging trails. I had a skid plate built for it, it doesn’t hang as low as the 40 gallon a 200 and I can’t tell it has yet to be impacted, but it could be an option for the 40 gallon.

I had no idea about the 12.5, but that is definitely something to consider. I have been torn for a while because some of the trails and camp spots I have gotten to, its a tad far on the tank alone. Then I end up going out of my way to get more gas and its just a pita. Realistically it seems like the 24 is a pretty good middle ground but man you really got me thinking on a lot of different variables. It seems the second you go 24/40 you're now tacking on a huge additional cost. I also assume if you upgrade rear bumper on the 200 you're not keeping blind spot and all that.

The 42 is great on our diesel 80 and gives us a heck of a lot of range. We're able to make it from southern California to western Colorado without refilling and have several hundred miles worth of fuel left in the tank. It's nice to have that peace of mind, but it does hang low and really isn't needed. I smacked it good a couple years back and put a nice dent in it; thankfully no cracks. It now hold 41.5 gallons or so...

This helped my decision to go with the 24 on the 200 and if I feel the need I can throw an additional 15 gallons on the rack of the Dissent rear getting us close the 40.

If the 80's aux. tank fit the 200 I'd swap you plus some cash for my -0.5 gallon mod:rofl:

Last edited:
A rear swing out sound miserable though.
Might be worth me tioning…
I’ve timed myself *one handed and without hurrying* & opening and closing my Slee rear swing-outs takes this long:
—7 seconds to open both…
…10-11 seconds to close and latch them.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I am really glad I went with the 40.

If you haven't smash up your resonator then you'll likely not hit the 40 tank as they are the same height.

You'll know your own mileage.

We get approx. range of 850 if overlanding, and approx 550 off road with a small off road trailer.
That is with leaving some fuel in there before filling up.

I fuel up a sams club it's about 30 cents less a gallon. (better than costco).
Saves approx. $18 a fill up.

Might be worth me tioning…
I’ve timed myself *one handed and without hurrying* & opening and closing my Slee rear swing-outs takes this long:
—7 seconds to open both…
…10-11 seconds to close and latch them.
🤷🏻‍♂️
Right. Now do that ten times in one day, opening and closing the garage door each time. Pretty annoying.

I carry full sheets of plywood in my truck several times a year, and sometimes 16' pieces of trim. No way to latch the swing out if the rear glass isn't closed. I haven't seen a roof rack yet that will easily hold plywood/drywall sheets, and I'm not sure how I could safely get them down by myself.

24 or 40 but you need a swing out so I'm really not following this as the area for the spare has already been lost.

When I was building my cabin I carried material on my flat arb roof rack, inside and left the swing-outs open, and in my M1102 cargo trailer.
(The swing outs can lock open).
The vehicle ramps are handy for unloading and loading off the roof.

Larger loads with many pallets of hardy board and drywall .. delivered.

The 12.5 for the 200.

It can be problematic with fuel smell, heat build up and eventually possible condensation under the cargo mat due to the close proximity of the cargo floor to accommodate the stock spare, all can be remedied (it took 3 tries with mine), but it has taken some trail and error from some talented installers to find the right combination.
@grinchy has any of this been an issue with the OE sub tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom