Lockers or Traction Control? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi all:
new to the forum and long time since I did some 4xwheeling...
Looking for a TLC. Couple of possibilities are a 99 with rear locker or a 2000. From reading around, seems like the 2000 does come standard with Trac control. Don't know if it comes with optional axle lockers or not.
How would the 2000 with trac control fare in the dirt? And how would that compare to a locker? Isn't this trac control based on braking the slipping wheel? If so wouldn't that be pretty much useless if one has 1 wheel in the air, say?
What do you say?
Appreciate the help
(man, are folks raving about these cruisers or what...?)
thanks
Eric

20Sep2003 (UTC -7)

This topic was recently discussed in here. ;)

OK, thanks, seems like some folks think the locker may be the better route for serious off-roading and -I assume- the Trac control for on-road (rain, snow etc).
Any more technical discussion or review of the Trac Control someplace?
thanks
Eric

Why can't one get a 2000+ w/ traction control and add the rear diff lock in oneself? Surely, the locking diff must be available through parts, and one could build the relay circuit himself (I did this on my 1st gen runner ealier this year [some axle housing mods are needed]). Is it the same third as used on 80's w/ 9.5" ring gear? Does one need a new axle shaft like on the 80? What gear ratios are available (might be a good time to regear the front if the rear is available in other ratios). Maybe Cdan can help answer these questions. This way, you can get the best of both worlds w/ update interior w/ rear air and rear diff lock.

OK, thanks, seems like some folks think the locker may be the better route for serious off-roading and -I assume- the Trac control for on-road (rain, snow etc).
Any more technical discussion or review of the Trac Control someplace?
thanks
Eric

I suggest you poll ONLY from 100 owners who have a TRAC-equipped model AND a rear locker. It might be the ONLY way you will get a objective answer. Second...consider their wheeling type to yours.

I can tell you that I would rather have TRAC than a rear-locker-only...period! It took me everywhere triple-locked 80's did in my club. Plus, in some cases/situations I simply had them beat...and handily. If I had to put a number on it.....

TRAC better 75% of the time
Rear-lock-only better 25% of the time

A step further....
TRAC and rear-lock-only combined...FANTASTIC! Rear-locks helps the rear and TRAC helps the front WITHOUT restricting your turning capability. NICE!

You can ALWAYS add a locker...you CAN'T add ATRAC (or VSC).

Lol! I was going to post an answer but I doubt he realized it was 7 years old!

This begs the question: What is the oldest thread? LOL!

Funny!
I still don't know much now but back then I *really* didn't know much...
But eh, nothing that 7 or 8 years more on MUD wouldn't cure...! :)

I was surprised myself that I've been on mud for about 5 years now... I know waaayyy more about cruisers, wheelin, working on my own rigs etc now... Thanks mud! This place really is a wealth of information and I've bought and sold things from others on this forum that are simply good people.

I was soooo much younger back then. And my 100 series was not even born yet!

Funny!
I still don't know much now but back then I *really* didn't know much...
But eh, nothing that 7 or 8 years more on MUD wouldn't cure...! :)

Well it's been about 7-8 more years. Cured yet?

Doing some research and I accidentally inverted the date on my search results and found all these postings from 2003 that seemed to be the beginning of the 100's section. This was the best one of the 2-3 pages I went through (slow day at the office...).

Cheers,
rjones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom