Lockers or a Winch - need some advice!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you had to choose between a Detroit locker, ARB locker or a Warn Winch in the $700-800 range, which would give the most off-road bang for the buck for an FJ40? Can't afford to do both at the moment, but want to be somewhat capable off-road. I'm thinking that the locker is probably the best bet, but thought I would draw on everyone's experience before deciding. I live in Texas so winter weather is not a consideration, but rocks and mud are definitely in the picture. I'm running completely stock with the open diff. at the moment and am looking to get something done in the next 2 weeks. :eek:

A winch will get you home at the end of the day. If you get stuck while using lockers you'll wish you had the winch!

I can't believe that Yooper is the only one who has an opinion on this subject! (Thanks Yooper!) I thought for sure that with all of the combined off-roading experience on this board that there would be more than one opinion! Help me out here boys!! Don't want to spend $800.00 the wrong way here! :D

I agree with yopper. go w/ a winch and a new alternator, possibly a dual battery setup, and worry about lockers later.

I considered this question recently and decided for the locker. I put an aussie in the rear. Cheap fast definately the most bang for the buck. Heck at $200.00 you might even have some money left over for a winch too. That locker will help keep you out of stuck. Winches are mainly for pulling noodleheads in heaps out.

Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like the consensus seems to be winch, but at $200.00 for an Aussie locker, I'm curious! Axlechassis, where did you get yours from? How was the installation?

Back to the winch - is the 8274-50 really worth the extra $$$ vs. something like the XD9000i or HS9500i?

Thanks again for everyone's opinions. :D

yeah, I really wanted a new thermometric 9500, but couldnt justify the expense. picked up an 8000Xi on ebay for 500 bucks, if 8000 lbs single line cant pull my 40 out of the sheit, than I am really in trouble.

I also think the winch is better but... I'm not sure about hydraulic or electric ??? For now I think that the mile marker hydraulic winch is the right choice, but I don't see a lot of people use it . Is there any reason???

[quote author=Nadeau71 link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg36639#msg36639 date=1062330509]
I also think the winch is better but... I'm not sure about hydraulic or electric ??? For now I think that the mile marker hydraulic winch is the right choice, but I don't see a lot of people use it . Is there any reason???
[/quote]

Your engine has to be running for it to work. It uses the power steering pump as a hydraulic pump - the power steering pump wasn't designed for that kind of duty.

Those are some of the reasons I decided to go Warn electric. I'm planning on an M12000 for my FJ62 - about the same price as an 8274, a little more heavy duty. I'm not worried about how fast my winch is - I don't compete.

toyotarules: It's Yooper, not yopper. As in U.P., for Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No biggie - just making conversation. The locals here call themselves yoopers. I'm not a real yooper, only been here a year. Cool place - I can get stuck in the woods a mile from my house in town - think I'll stay.

I vote for winch first. it is a valuable tool. (I have both BTW) Lockers can only help you, a winch can help others too. Winches have other uses as well such as clearing fallen trees from trails and my personal favorite, skinning big game. ;)

I agree with the winch.

Knowing you have a either will make you attempt stuff you wouldn't have before.

The winch will bail you out more often than the locker.

But it's still no replacement for good judgement. :D

If you go out in the nasty stuff by your self get the winch. Without the lockers you won't get far enough to get in too much trouble and if you do the winch will save your butt. If you run with others your priority might be the lockers. The group I run with most has enough recovery equip to run a salvage operation. If I was still open diff they'd be spending all their time pulling me through. Instead I'm one of the front runners because I have a vary capable rig. I opted to buy a good come-a-long, a strap, a shovel, and lock-up my 40 front and rear for less money than the winch. In my situation a good choice. No one knows your situation like you do so think it out thoroughly.

Thanks for the opinions/advice everyone. I'm considering an XD8000i or HS9500 Warn and may go ahead and go further into debt and get a Detroit Locker too. :eek: Man this FJ40 habit is addictive!!
How difficult is it to install a Detroit Locker? I've heard the con's (limited at that) of going with the Detroit but think it may be the way to go for the money. My 40 is strictly a hobby vehicle and not my daily driver so some of the complaints I've heard may not be as big of a deal in my situation. I would like the ARB but am not sure I can do that work myself and I can't really justify the big $$$ I've heard that shops charge to install one. Anyone have experience with the Detroit? Are there any other lockers better for the same money?

if it's a hobby vehicle, maybe cheaper to weld up the rear, i'd probably do this if i didn't DD.

is it true you can shim a LSD to act as a locker (install shims or something similar?)

Can anyone tell me what the best winch for a 73 FJ-40 w/the SOA conversion and 35x12.5s is? Im thinking 8000-9500lbs will be sufficient??? Are there any alternatives to Warn that are of the same quality level? Please tell me exactly which winch you think would be best suited for me.

Buy the biggest winch that you can afford/fit on the vehicle. In my case I have an 8k Warn and my vehicle weighs 6,200 lbs. If I get stuck good I will have to double up with a snatch block to get out. If I had a 12k I could probably get out single line. I have an 8k only because I transfered it from another vehicle and the price was "right" I would have picked a 12k if I was buying new.

Dan.

whats the real difference between the expensive (warn 9.5ti, ramsey patriot) and cheaper(warn m8000, mile marker electric)winches. they all get you out of a jam right?

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=4830;start=msg36630#msg36630 date=1062311474]
, but at $200.00 for an Aussie locker, I'm curious! Axlechassis, where did you get yours from? How was the installation?

Back to the winch - is the 8274-50 really worth the extra $$$ vs. something like the XD9000i or HS9500i?

Thanks again for everyone's opinions. :D
[/quote]

I got the aussie locker from torq masters
https://offroadlockers.com/index.html
$200.00 plus shipping. Ordered off the internet. came fast, very good quality manufacture and pretty easy install. Takes about and hour or two if you're me. I had to put it in then take it out just to make sure I did it right. The directions are good but slightly vague in one area regarding the nomenclature confusing the thrust washer with the c-clips.
I really want a winch also. I'm waiting till I can afford a new 8274-50. Having the extra line seems like a good idea.
Back to the locker: for the money nothing even comes close for bang for the buck. Unless you can steal a winch from someone. I'm noticing that in places where I used to use 4 wheel drive it is no longer necesary(this sucker definately gives you some extra grip on the situation). My buddies tell me it is also great in the winter on ice and everything. since I've got an alluminum tub with no paint, insulation or carpet to cushin the noises I can certainly hear the thing working. They say that if you dont hear it somethings broke.
I was on the fence for along time about a locker now I'm definately a convert. If you drive your rig on the street at all welding the rear is'nt that great an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom